• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking for opponents for Operation Battleaxe Full
11-29-2018, 06:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 06:35 PM by ComradeP.)
Looking for opponents for Operation Battleaxe Full
I'm looking for 2 or more opponents.

It's a lengthy scenario, but I expect most of the first day will come down to moving units forwards using Column Movement and some fighting for Halfaya Pass.

For balance reasons, I'd prefer it if my opponents don't play "blind" but at least take a look at the OOB and initial strengths. The map is big and there will be plenty of movement so any advantage gained by looking at what's on the field initially isn't that great, nor would it be a mystery to the historical commanders.

Some understanding of what went wrong for the Allies would also be good for the Allied player, as I'd say there are some things he needs to take into account in order to win: more engineers are needed at Halfaya Pass and armoured units should remain concentrated when possible.

A note on Column Movement: most Allied units with some form of motorization are Motorized and have the same movement rating, with the exception of towed artillery which is somewhat slower. The key to using Column Movement in an effective manner is to take the time to split the column into components with the same movement rating, or placing fast units in front and slow units in the rear.

For example: the 22nd Guards Brigade Group has several Carrier sections and mortars transported by carriers (some others are motorized) in the column that would delay the movement of the other units. If you move those manually, Column Movement should work swimmingly. Note that the MP difference for moving on Clear terrain instead of Trails is only 2 for halftracks (it's 4 for Motorized units), so you can move them off-road if you want.

Some columns have motorized HQ's at the rear, and it may or may not be an issue if they're delayed.

Allied Tank "Regiment"/Battalion HQ's are small enough to move through 4-5 or smaller vehicle units, but German HQ's can only move through 4 vehicle or smaller units due to containing 30 men. On the other hand, they're in halftracks so roads are less important for them. Allied HQ's are all wheeled (the corps commander's car seems more suitable for grocery shopping than war, but I digress) which means off-road movement will leave them WAY behind tanks. Keep that in mind.

The complaints about Column Movement not working usually come from moving units with different movement ratings and/or types together, so they constantly bump into eachother, violating the road movement stacking limit and delaying the rest of the column.

There being no Crusader Full is probably a good thing: Sand castles would be about as effective as any Axis attempt at holding ground against the enormous number of Allied tanks. It would be Ozerovskii in the desert.
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2018, 11:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2018, 11:51 PM by fabiominatti.)
RE: Looking for opponents for Operation Battleaxe Full
Hi Comrade
Im interesting to play Battleaxe, let me know: which side do you want play?
12-01-2018, 01:06 AM,
I'm game. Just downloaded NA.
12-01-2018, 03:46 AM,
I'd like to see what the scenario is like from the Axis and Allied sides, so if you're both fine with it, how about I play as the Allies against fabiominatti and as the Axis against OJW?
12-01-2018, 05:44 AM,
(12-01-2018, 03:46 AM)ComradeP Wrote: I'd like to see what the scenario is like from the Axis and Allied sides, so if you're both fine with it, how about I play as the Allies against fabiominatti and as the Axis against OJW?

OK, I agree. However, I can also play as  Allied player Wink
12-01-2018, 05:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2018, 05:26 PM by Strela.)
Hi All,

I'll be interested to see how this plays out. We tested the individual day scenarios, but did not do multiple tests of this 90 day monster.

The scoring will reward you for playing historically, so do understand whether there are time limits or changes in points for various locations. The vast majority of points will be earned by holding the various objectives, so do understand where you want to send your forces.

Also keep in mind that maneuver is king and that you don't necessarily have to take every location to win. The points lost taking a location can nullify the points earned (I'm looking at you, Halfaya Pass), but on the other hand having an enemy position behind your front can be disconcerting as well. Rommel actually convinced the British to retreat when he managed to push from Sidi Omar towards Halfaya Pass, threatening to cut off all the British infantry to the north at Sollum & Capuzzo on the third day of the battle.

Also rest your troops. This is a three day engagement and a bit like Operation Bluecoat in Normandy, there was little time to recover damaged tanks and put them back in the field. High fatigue units will be useless so balancing up when and where to fight is critical.

I hope you all enjoy the scenario and would welcome all feedback so that we can adjust any issues found.

Thanks,

David
12-03-2018, 06:36 AM,
(12-01-2018, 03:46 AM)ComradeP Wrote: I'd like to see what the scenario is like from the Axis and Allied sides, so if you're both fine with it, how about I play as the Allies against fabiominatti and as the Axis against OJW?

Anything you want is fine.
12-04-2018, 04:06 AM,
You still need an opponent on this one?
12-04-2018, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2018, 06:30 AM by fabiominatti.)
(12-04-2018, 04:06 AM)Witblitz Wrote: You still need an opponent on this one?

However I am always interested to play this scenatio with someone... Rolling Eyes