• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev
12-14-2018, 06:07 AM,
RE: Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev
[Image: Turn%2010%20Russ%20Gp%20Zhu.png]

Colonel Zhuravlev wearily glances at the maps and reports on his desk once more. The door opens and Commissar Khrushchev comes in wiping the dust off his coat. As the door closes he hears the drones of Il-2 Shturmovik’s flying north for a ground strike. Thank god we still have air support he mutters.

“What news on the morale of our troops Commissar” he asks without looking up. “Morale is good but the swine keep giving ground” growls Khrushchev. “Do not blame the troops comrade”. “I have given orders to shorten our lines” replies Col Zhuravlev. “We have no choice”. “We are running short of troops and those damed Germans keep coming!”. The Commissar smiles and makes a mental note of this defeatist attitude. When they break out and link up with the rest of 62nd Army he will be making a full report.

“Any news of the 1st Tank Army comrade Commissar”? “They’ve managed only another kilometre in the last few hours” he replies with a scowl. “Damn” said Zhuravlev, “the 13th Tank Corps is supposed to be breaking through to us”. (historically they did) “What about 4th Tank”? The Commissar shrugs. “I think they’ve been halted by a few weak German companies east of the Liska”. “They are worried about their flanks and German tanks”. “Flanks!” shouts Zhuravlev losing his temper! “They have 3 Tank Brigades” he screamsI “What about my flanks”.

Khrushev waits for Zhuravlev to calm down then continues. “Bad news commander”. “We have lost communications with General Koropten and the 192nd headquarters”. “The last communication from him was that they were under heavy artillery fire”!” We must assume the worst in the north”. “They were trying to establish contact with the 88th Guards south of Selikanovo”. “We believe the 88th are cut off and trying to fight their way south”. “And what about the 184th” asks Zhuravlev? “Good news, the 184th Division has reported in”. “General Sveltski and his staff had grabbed rifles and helped in the front line north of Manoylin”. “The general and his staff are safe....for the moment”.

Zhuravlev sighs. He wish he had not accepted this operation and kept his nice cushy job as Chief of Operation of 62nd Army. But someone has to do it.

“Commissar I will send some armour south to relive the 40th Sappers at Mayorvskiy”. “What’s available”? The Commissar scratches his head. “All our tanks units are tied up holding the line in the west”. “40th Tank Bde is low on fuel and the 644th Tank Bn is suffering fatigue”. “Fatigue” says Col Zhuravlev! “Send the 644th fool”. “But what if we need them in the north and we have no fuel” replies Khrushchev. “Then we will use them in the south” Zhuravlev calmly replies. 

“Get a message through to the 84th Guards Rgt”. “They MUST hold on to Svechinkovskiy at all costs!!!” “Not one step back!!!!” “Operational Group Zhuravlev will fall back on Svechinkovskiy and break out by itself!”.

The Commissar smiles. Maybe they had chosen the right man after all? 

Apologies for the punctuation folks. Its a long time since I wrote anything with speech in it........
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev - by Plain Ian - 12-14-2018, 06:07 AM