• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev
11-28-2018, 05:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 08:37 AM by Plain Ian.)
RE: Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev
[Image: Turn%208%20German%20south.png]

In the south he counters my moves by the 163d and reinforces the hex I failed to take last turn. He keeps the two disrupted units (305th infantry/113th recon) in the front line. He must have a unit behind?

[Image: Turn%208%20German%20Osinovka.png]

It looks like he intends to hold on to Osinovka and sacrifice a company. It is a VP hex. My AA Rgt takes a gun off of him. 
At Nizhnyaya he has mounted a rescue attempt. No point in assaulting now?

[Image: Turn%208%20German%20Mukovkin.png]

Not much to see. He retreats at Mukovkin but reinforces the AT unit which has recovered from Disruption!!! Maybe their Iron Crosses 2nd Class have arrived! Possibly the Marders are close by hiding in the dark?
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2018, 06:48 AM,
Russian Turn 9

Sorry for delay. I went off last week on holiday to get some sun. I only had an hour to play my turn and no time to post anything. Just read my notes and finished the maps. Mikes turn is already back.

[Image: Turn%209%20Russian%20pocket.png]

My moves for the pocket are shown. 

I  have managed to extract the 3 cut off units in the west using the 2/753rd and the 644th Tank Bn. The 644th actually helps two units escape then manages to move back to its original position.

The 644th is probably going to be needed in the south. Hopefully the 2/40th can fill the gap now even though its Low Fuel.

In the north the 2/88th pulled back but return fire disrupted the 1/88th. Rats. I had to use 3/676th as a fall back support unit. Its at Fatigue 199.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the moves. Probably the best I could do in a rush. The south is still a big problem.
12-09-2018, 06:51 AM,
Russian Turn 9

[Image: Turn%209%20Russian%20south.png]

I assaulted the 113th Recon unit (it took two assaults) and pushed some armour through the gap. I made some adjustments in the west.
12-09-2018, 06:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2018, 10:50 PM by Plain Ian.)
Russian Turn 9

[Image: Turn%209%20Russian%20east%20s.png]

Not much action here. Osinovka still not isolated and the fight at Nizhnayaya goes slowly. I withheld firing with the 2/884th in case it was disrupted......I think? I might have just forgot to fire?

Edit 9/12/2018 I keep thinking that all towed units don't have a ZOC so thought that the A/A unit at Osinovka didn't have a ZOC. It does. Only heavy A/A don't have ZOC. So Osinovka is isolated. 
I've cut and pasted the list of units with no ZOC from User Manual below.

There are a few units which do not exert a Zone-of-Control:

·        HQ units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
·        Supply units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
·        Broken units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
·        Towed Anti-Tank units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
·        Towed Heavy AA units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
12-09-2018, 06:56 AM,
Russian Turn 9

[Image: Turn%209%20Russian%20east%20n.png]

I didn't move or fire here. I skipped the area then forgot to go back to it. I had a plane to catch.
12-09-2018, 07:00 AM,
Russian Turn 9 VP's

[Image: Turn%209%20Russian%20VP.png]

I narrowed the gap but only manged to kill 108 Germans and 2 anti tank guns. I'll now open Mikes turn now and post his VP's next.
12-09-2018, 08:13 AM,
German Turn 9

[Image: Turn%209%20German%20VP.png]

Mikes turn opened and results above. My losses have jumped by 470 men and his by 80 men. I've had a quick look at the map but not watched the replay.

I'll post a few maps with some comments. I'm not sure whether its worth going into detail.
12-09-2018, 08:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2018, 10:34 PM by Plain Ian.)
German Turn 9

[Image: Turn%209%20German%20pocket.png]

It looks like most of my losses came from the north. He has smashed through my disrupted defenses and pocketed two fresh groups. The 192nd HQ has disappeared so I must assume has been annihilated and the 3/26nd has been pushed into a pocket with the 1/88th and 2/88th. Possibly the retreat logarithim has screwed me here? 

The 396th Tank Bn has been isolated in the east but I didn't move any units last turn here. In fact I see that he is continuing to keep pushing and probing in the east with the appearance of fresh units. (I put my Engineers on patrol last turn) Edit: the Engineers were not patrolling. Visibility is now 2 hexes because its a Dusk Turn.

In the south and west I see two disrupted German units which possibly indicates failed assaults?
12-09-2018, 08:33 AM,
German Turn 9

[Image: Turn%209%20German%20south.png]

A quick look at the south. Its dusk so visibility is two hexes. I can see fresh units north of Yevseyev and at Nizhnayaya. 

South of Manoylin he has reacted to my T-34 armour and reinforced things.

Apart from that I can't see many changes.

I'll have a look at the replay but I'll probably just start my turn and not waste any time reposting more detailed maps.
12-10-2018, 06:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2018, 06:36 AM by Plain Ian.)
I've watched the replay and I've made snapshots of his moves in the north. I'll post them below. All pretty standard PzC stuff. Its either that or start doing my turn, which I'm not really looking forward too.......

[Image: T9-1.png]

Step 1: 
Mike obliterates the HQ with artillery and Nebelwerfer fire. Actually most of it is Nebelwerfer. I think HQ's were made more vulnerable in updates which is quite a good idea as before this they tended to be staffed by super humans who repelled all assaults. (In fact Mike assaulted my HQ in the south which DID repel his assault!) So I guess this is not a bad idea to nebelwurf it to oblivion....although I think it still seems a waste of artillery as the HQ unit is stacked with 3/88th and will be cut off when he moves?

[Image: T9-2.png]

Step 2:
The other 88th Rgt group is hit by 3 companies I think? (my eyesight is pretty bad) Its an automatic win as my units are disrupted and I doubt his will all disrupt? Well who knows? I think all 3 need to disrupt to fail? Yes?

[Image: T9-3.png]

Step 3: 
He moves up and cuts off the 3/88th and assaults. Not sure how many units assaulted but the results are impressive. The artillery fire shown must be my defensive fire before the second assault.

[Image: T9-4.png]

Step 4:
2nd assault results. Probably just one company used. 

[Image: T9-5.png]

Step 5:
Well now the 2nd assault on the rest of the 88th. Just one company used and.......my boys retreat the WRONG way. A or B or C is safety and they go.......yup. 

[Image: T9-6.png]

Step 6:
Last assault in the north. I think he used one company and moved up a second after the assault. Again it was an automatic win against my disrupted troops but he took even losses as the 1/676th was almost a full strength battalion with 260+ men.

I must admit when I opened up this scenario and looked at it initially I thought the Germans would have to start combining their companies into battalion sized units in some places. I don't think this is necessary. Swarming is a better tactic. The Russians can't hit target every small company and in fact a German company can pack just about the same punch as some Russian battalions. 

I think I shoulda played this game using Gold?