• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev
12-12-2018, 09:25 AM,
RE: Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev
Turn 10 Russian

[Image: Turn%2010%20Russian%20VP%20total.png]

Turn played and final results above. Still in the Major Defeat dumps.

[Image: Turn%2010%20Russian%20losses.png]

Turn losses slightly better for me. His loss rate slightly higher than my previous turn. Unfortunately I managed to loss 2 tanks (one T-34 and one T-70) and 2 A/A guns. 

Things are not going well with Group Zhuravlev. 
Maps tomorrow night.
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2018, 06:07 AM,
[Image: Turn%2010%20Russ%20Gp%20Zhu.png]

Colonel Zhuravlev wearily glances at the maps and reports on his desk once more. The door opens and Commissar Khrushchev comes in wiping the dust off his coat. As the door closes he hears the drones of Il-2 Shturmovik’s flying north for a ground strike. Thank god we still have air support he mutters.

“What news on the morale of our troops Commissar” he asks without looking up. “Morale is good but the swine keep giving ground” growls Khrushchev. “Do not blame the troops comrade”. “I have given orders to shorten our lines” replies Col Zhuravlev. “We have no choice”. “We are running short of troops and those damed Germans keep coming!”. The Commissar smiles and makes a mental note of this defeatist attitude. When they break out and link up with the rest of 62nd Army he will be making a full report.

“Any news of the 1st Tank Army comrade Commissar”? “They’ve managed only another kilometre in the last few hours” he replies with a scowl. “Damn” said Zhuravlev, “the 13th Tank Corps is supposed to be breaking through to us”. (historically they did) “What about 4th Tank”? The Commissar shrugs. “I think they’ve been halted by a few weak German companies east of the Liska”. “They are worried about their flanks and German tanks”. “Flanks!” shouts Zhuravlev losing his temper! “They have 3 Tank Brigades” he screamsI “What about my flanks”.

Khrushev waits for Zhuravlev to calm down then continues. “Bad news commander”. “We have lost communications with General Koropten and the 192nd headquarters”. “The last communication from him was that they were under heavy artillery fire”!” We must assume the worst in the north”. “They were trying to establish contact with the 88th Guards south of Selikanovo”. “We believe the 88th are cut off and trying to fight their way south”. “And what about the 184th” asks Zhuravlev? “Good news, the 184th Division has reported in”. “General Sveltski and his staff had grabbed rifles and helped in the front line north of Manoylin”. “The general and his staff are safe....for the moment”.

Zhuravlev sighs. He wish he had not accepted this operation and kept his nice cushy job as Chief of Operation of 62nd Army. But someone has to do it.

“Commissar I will send some armour south to relive the 40th Sappers at Mayorvskiy”. “What’s available”? The Commissar scratches his head. “All our tanks units are tied up holding the line in the west”. “40th Tank Bde is low on fuel and the 644th Tank Bn is suffering fatigue”. “Fatigue” says Col Zhuravlev! “Send the 644th fool”. “But what if we need them in the north and we have no fuel” replies Khrushchev. “Then we will use them in the south” Zhuravlev calmly replies. 

“Get a message through to the 84th Guards Rgt”. “They MUST hold on to Svechinkovskiy at all costs!!!” “Not one step back!!!!” “Operational Group Zhuravlev will fall back on Svechinkovskiy and break out by itself!”.

The Commissar smiles. Maybe they had chosen the right man after all? 

Apologies for the punctuation folks. Its a long time since I wrote anything with speech in it........
12-14-2018, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 05:00 AM by Plain Ian.)
[Image: Turn%2010%20Russ%20sth.png]

Not a great turn for 13th Tank Corps the main spearhead for 1st Tank Army. 

After a heavy barrage (-16) there was high expectation that the 2/20th would push back the 305th coy and create a gap for our tanks to attack his disrupted/broken group. The assault failed. Rats. Strangely the 2/20th DID NOT disrupt? This is the first time I've seen this with infantry? The 305th coy unit definitely didn't disrupt either.

The 370th Tank Bn then tried to create a gap for the 364th by assaulting but this failed as well. No disruption and no losses in tanks.

The 364th decided to attack the A/T and infantry group and ended up losing a tank to defensive fire.

In the west I pulled back the 3/91st and reorganised a few things. I used artillery on another 305th unit and after getting good results I prepped for an assault by bringing up a Motorised AA Bn to hold the TRENCH after my tanks had assaulted..........and triggered defensive fire. It was quite severe and indicated that the enemy were probably not disrupted? I still went for the assault and the 365th lost a T-70 and failed.

And that was it apart from the 358th blasting away at a 100 Jg unit next to it.

No more other moves possible as no units recovered disruption this turn. In fact I moved the 3/863rd across to make me feel a bit safer. I remember his counter attacks from the first few turns.
12-14-2018, 06:43 AM,
[Image: Turn%2010%20Russ%20se%20png.png]

The debacle at Osinovka continues. The 378th is disrupted by defensive fire. I've marked up on the map that it lost a tank? I think this is wrong. My notes must be wrong? The 1/893rd unit did manage to kill an enemy A/T gun which was slight revenge. Osinovka is going to be a long project. 

At Nizhnayaya Buzinovka I decided to assault his disrupted unit. I reckon he was going to loop a unit around and cut off the 3/893rd. It succeeded but was costly. I've brought over part of 173rd Tank Bde for flank protection just now until I get a better picture of whats here next turn. (Daylight)

2/884th didn't fire. I'm scared in case it disrupts with defensive fire. The 1/884th is holding waiting for daylight as well.
12-14-2018, 07:02 AM,
[Image: Turn%2010%20Russ%20east.png]

Last map shows the rest of 13th Tank Corps and 4th Tank Army's attempt at attacking west. In a word....not very well. Most of the lead elements are going the wrong way! Thanks to Mikes moves.

At Mukovkin the 182nd moved up to allow the 396th Tank Bn to escape. The T-34's clanked their way out of the trap with red faces. (to be honest I didn't have tiime to move this unit last turn) The 397th closed up but I'm still concerned he may flank me so I have rushed the 22nd Motorised Brigade north. 

It is much the same story with the 133rd Tank Bde. The 2/133rd pulled back while the 1/133rd held (ZOC to ZOC) and the 1/133rd fired at the A/T unit killing its last gun. The 1/33rd then pulled back and because I still felt that he might go for another encirclement, I rushed the 22nd Tank Corps HQ forward to allow me to keep a corridor open. 

Further north I reorganised things. 

I knew that the attack by 4th Tank Army was going to be tricky and its very frustrating not being able to advance because of the fear of being cut off by a few enemy companies. Of course some of these may be very damaged but an Isolated tank unit unit is effectively dead when it cannot be rescued because you do not have any units to do this? 

So Mike is playing the right game here. Lets see what daylight shows.
12-15-2018, 02:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2018, 02:46 AM by Plain Ian.)
Mikes turn back this morning. 

[Image: Turn%2010%20German%20VP.png]

Losses

[Image: Turn%2010%20German%20losses.png]

The Russians took major losses this turn as expected. 11 guns lost. I think 5 of these were artillery losses from the 298th Artillery Rgt which was left behind in the pocket and the other 6 look to be anti tank guns from the 415th in the south of the pocket. Will check things when I run the replay.

So its finally daylight on the second day and here is the Command report.

[Image: Turn%2010%20Report.png]

The good news is colour coded green. Some good news isn't that great. The air unit available is only a recon unit. 3 units recovered disruption this turn which is helpful. The best news is that the 5th Gds Rocket Rgt is available this turn to help the 13th Tank Corps/1st Tank Army  in the south.

The bad news is that I have a new group of units isolated. Its not in the pocket, its units in the east from 4th Tank Army........rats.

Maps shortly after I watch replay.
12-15-2018, 03:50 AM,
[Image: Turn%2010%20German%20Gp%20Zhu.png]

The situation in the pocket. The 3/88th were destroyed by artillery fire and the other 88th Rgt group were assaulted and lost over half their strength. 

The 3/676th were hit by artillery and also assaulted but miraculously held. However it is down to 95 men and has Fatigue 230. 

The 298th Artillery Rgt were also assaulted and received fire.

In the the south west the disrupted units I left out in front were assaulted and pushed back as I expected. The 1/294th and 1/297th took heavier losses as they were hit by a bigger German group.

The German disrupted unit opposite the 415th A/T Bn finally recovered and assaulted. 

Things looking desperate in the north but at least most units are undisrupted. The south west creaking as the number of disrupted units pile up. Disrupted units are a liability as they are slow and easily assaulted. You have to watch where you place them. Next time I'll play with Gold version.

The good news is that the 2/40th has found fuel as is no longer Low Fuel!! Yipppeee.

I've borrowed General Konev's picture to use as Col Zhuravlev. I was going to use Vlassov as I think that would be more apt.....
12-15-2018, 08:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2018, 08:05 AM by Plain Ian.)
[Image: Turn%2010%20German%20Os.png]

Its all quiet at Osinovka. Mike happy to sit tight. It could be another Demyansk. I'm not sure if I have the strength to do any damage. 378th Tank Bn did not recover from disruption so its going to be a long fight unless I reinforce here.

[Image: Turn%2010%20German%20sth.png]

In the south Mike shuffled a few units in his front line and pulled the disrupted/broken group back. 

He selected a few Russian units for artillery fire. 

Daylight has revealed that he is digging in south of Manovlin and that his StuG's are in reserve here as well.

I doubt I will make much progress this turn here as there was no real recovery in disruption by most of the infantry units. My tanks can't go very far without an infantry shield. 

[Image: Turn%2010%20German%20east.png]

Well he only had to make two moves to cut off the 3 units of 182nd Tank Bde. I should have been more careful last turn with my moves but that's hindsight. 

I now have the problem of extracting these units. I won't manage this turn. It might end up being a game of me isolating him and both of us locked in a struggle where we both can't kill each other and break each others isolation. Not my kind of game really which is why I didn't pursue his Broken units.

I'm pretty sure his Marders are close by and waiting to intervene when it suits him?

I've marked up my possible moves in white. No point in holding a wide front, everything will have to slide south west. The only important thing now is to cover the VP hex at Oskinskiy.
12-16-2018, 08:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2018, 10:35 PM by Plain Ian.)
[Image: Turn%2011%20Russ.png]

Turn 11 moves for the Russians above. I continue pulling back. 

I've pulled across the 2/676th to support the 3/676th.

In the south west I've put the disrupted units into two stacks. One is covered by a tank unit. The other tank unit (1/40th) I've pulled out for the south. I just have to hope that the retreat AI is kind to me if he disrupts my covering infantry unit and assaults my larger stack. 

I thought about moving the 644th to support the 84th Gds and begin pushing him back but that will only leave a gap for him to exploit so I'll beat up the recon unit just now and try to slowly edge east with the tank unit.

My forces are slowly moving south east but I don't have any realistic expectations of breaking out. Possibly I should have started attacking out earlier? Maybe giving the Guards units Regimental HQ's at the start of the scenario would help keep these units undisrupted? Recoverng from disruption is the only way to survive in this scenario.
12-17-2018, 04:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 09:41 AM by Plain Ian.)
Turn 11 Russian

[Image: Turn%2011%20Russ%20sth.png]

33rd Gds artillery hits the 305th group opposite the 365th Tank Bn (T-70). The 358th (T-34) shifts to support and adds its fire support. I then try an assault with the 365th and defensive fire kills an AA gun from the Mot AA Bn which is stacked in the same hex. I press the button to finish the assault.... and lose another tank. Mmmh looks like the enemy unit is not a company strength unit? Doh! I pull back the Motorised A/A Bn which has lost 3 guns to two failed assaults.

My T-34's continue their pounding of the enemy. The 364th doesn't have much luck against the enemy holding the village. (Village -20 IMPROVED -10) Time to move and find easier targets.

I advance the 3/863rd hopeful that my artillery has disrupted the enemy unit north of it. He pulled it back last turn so it must be weakened? Unit is down to XX strength but after the turn end was pressed, I checked to see if it was disrupted. Nope. In fact none of his units disrupted this turn.

At Nizhnyaya I made a few attacks and suffered heavily from defensive artillery fire. I decided to shift my armour (650th) towards my left flank here and possibly threaten his artillery. Just getting him to limber up would be a bonus. (its heavy artillery so can't limber and move I think?) After the turn end I looked at the map and realised....oh crap.....that's another tank unit which will be isolated. 

If you like playing chess then this is the scenario for you....

Edited: to make some of this readable......