• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev
11-23-2018, 07:09 AM,
RE: Stalingrad 42 Breakout Group Zhuravlev
[Image: Group%20Zhuravlev.png]

No turn back so I've updated the map I posted at the start. 

After a few turns I realised that I had missed a few supply locations in the pocket and I had omitted to mention that there is an exit VP hex. Doh! The title of the scenario should have told me this. 

The exit VP hex is marked as 0 and occupies the same hex as a major supply source hex on the east edge. I tested the hex by removing the 396th Tank Bn (20xT-34's) in a standard scenario and it gave me 28 VP's. The aim is to exit units from Group Zhuravlev but if I get desperate in this PBEM for VP's................only kidding.

I've added the supply level Src [] of the hexes as well. The pocket has 3 supply sources and its kind of obvious how the Russian should collapse the pocket and which direction the Russian should break out.
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2018, 07:29 AM,
Speaking of supply I thought I'd check how bad supply was for the pocket. Here is what it shows.

[Image: Supply%20turn%207.png]

Supply is actually holding up even though I've lost the Src [40] hex which must mean there are gaps in his lines??? Compare this with supply levels at the start where the pocket is sealed tight. 
However as the pocket shrinks it should possibly be easier for him to make sure his ZOC prevent me tracing supply out of the pocket/

[Image: Supply%20start.png]
11-25-2018, 08:00 PM,
German Turn 7 - VP totals

[Image: Turn%207%20nGerman%20VP.png]
11-25-2018, 08:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 08:06 AM by Plain Ian.)
[Image: Turm%207%20German%20pocket.png]

German moves for turn 7 above. The two cut off units (1/753rd/2/294th) have been overrun. There was only one assault and that was against the 1/294th? 

The last few men of the 200th Sappers were also obliterated by artillery and Nebelwerfer fire. I'd left them as a forlorn hope at Vlasov to slow him down. 

The 508th AT Rgt at Platanov were left behind as well this turn and are now cut off. However the bad news is that the rescue attempt by the 2/40th was futile as they are now in need of rescue themselves! 

Mike has also used infiltration in the south and east against the Guards of the 91st 84th. The Engineers are cut off and the rest of the Regiment is only saved because they are sitting on a supply source.

I won't bother showing the rest of the map as there isn't much action. I'll jump to my turn.
11-25-2018, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 08:05 AM by Plain Ian.)
[Image: Turn%208%20Russian%20pocket.png]

Night falls and I continue to pull back. Thankfully this scenario has Night Move Disruption: 0% so it is safe to move at night. Otherwise things would be impossible.

I've only one option in the west and that's to play the same game as Mike. I use my armour to isolate his units. I won't be able to kill any of them but will hopefully slow down his attacks on my cut off units.
In the east the 4th Gds Light Infantry grab their rifles and move up the front line again in order to allow the 84th Regiment a chance of withdrawal.

The 2/676th is pulled out and is the only free unit I have left. Everything else is now committed. Even HQ units. In the south the 184th HQ is used to plug a gap to prevent him moving past the 3/297th and the 415th AT Rgt.

I have one bit of luck. I have two night bomber Regiments to use for this turn. They are carpet bombers so are not 100% accurate. I use one in the south against the German 113th unit below the 2/297th (sorry I forgot to put nice explosions on that) and the other in the north beside the 1/676th. I picked target hexes next to already Disrupted friendly units which had two enemy target hexes. The German 113th unit was hit but lost only 2 men. The raid in the north missed its target but hit Tsymlovskiy. It was only after I saw the end of turn VP Chart I realised that he had a T mode AT unit in this hex and that he lost 4 guns. I've checked the replay and can see it moving in.
11-25-2018, 10:54 PM,
[Image: Turn%208%20Rusian%20east.png]

I continue to play the "Russian game" with futile attacks and assaults with my KV-1's. I take out one more gun with fire and another with an assault which disrupts the attacking unit. (2/133rd) 

The 396th clanks off into the darkness and reaches Mukovkin. The rest of the 182nd Tank Bde arrive to join it.

The 3/22nd gives up its rear area duties and raaces forward to join the rest of the Bde.

At Osinovka another Russian bumbling attack is slowly forming. The 378th discovers the German infantry have withdrawn to occupy the southern half of the town. We await the 1/893rd.

At Nizhne German artillery is heavy and disrupts attacks on the town. 

The 2/884th is sent west but the Germans have secured their flanks.
11-25-2018, 11:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 07:59 AM by Plain Ian.)
[Image: Turn%208%20Russian%20south.png]

Maximum effort in the south. I'm sure Mike will respond.

The 163rd Tank Bde was concentrated and hit his weak Aufklarungs unit. I probably should use this tactic more but its difficult getting a decent attacking stack concentrated witout leaving gaps. But T-34 fire, followed by a Motorized Rifle Bn assault and a T-70 exploitation does work. There is one slight problem with this attack. Its going the wrong way! Plus I think he will have reserves here which he has pulled from his right wing.

Elsewhere I make as many assaults as possible on his left wing. (305th Div) Not all succeed. I've put notes on the map so will not haver on here.
11-25-2018, 11:12 PM,
[Image: Turn%208%20Russian%20VP.png]

End of turn tally. Still miles behind  due to the 50VP hex I lost several turns ago and the fact that I haven't managed yet to take any of his VP hexes.

Break down of turn losses.

[Image: Turn%208%20Russian%20losses.png]

He lost 6 guns. 4 to the lucky air strike at Tysinlovskiy and 2 from my KV-1's in the east. (I think he is down to 1 gun here?)
11-25-2018, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2018, 11:45 PM by Plain Ian.)
Mikes turn came back last night. VP totals shown below.

[Image: Turn%208%20German%20VP.png]

I've tracked the turn losses from Turn 4.

[Image: Losses%20Turn%208.png]

I've looked at the map but not watched the replay. I can see that I've lost the 508th AT Rgt (15 guns?) which was cut off at Platonov plus the usual 200 men per turn. 

Its nice to see his casualties have jumped this turn as well? Over 100 losses during his turn. Hopefully plenty of costly assaults?

Will post maps later. Probably not too much detail as I want to post my turn back tonight.
11-28-2018, 05:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 08:39 AM by Plain Ian.)
[Image: Turn%208%20German%20pocket.png]

Pressure on the pocket continues led mainly by the 113th in the south east  west and the 100th Jaeger in the north west.

113th Div sector

Two assault here. The 1/294th is hit by a large grouping and pushed back with heavy casualties. The 2/297th is similarly pushed back but by a company sized assault.
The 415th AT Rgt comes under fire but artillery supports disrupts the attacker.

100th Jaeger Div sector

Things are critical at Selikanovo. The 3/676th faced off the concentrated fire of 4 German companies took heavy casualties. The Battalion is down to 40% and will go into red fatigue next turn. Despite the battering it did not disrupt!

The 88th Guards Regiment is mostly disrupted and sufferng ammo low. Only the 1/88th has any fighting capability.

The 1/676th fought well. It was hit by 2 consecutive assaults. The first from the north west pushed it back south 1 km over the river. A follow on assault was held though. The unit is disrupted but is still up to strength (266 men 87%) and fatigue is still green. (61)

305th Div sector

At Platonov the cut off 508th AR Rgt is easily overrun. Too easily I think. One assault killed all 15 guns? I was a bit gob smacked by this. I expected the usual multi assaults which gradually whittled the unit down and possibly left 1-2 left for a further turn. Nope all gone in one assault. Anyone else seen this?

My disappointment however was eased when the 40th Motorised Bn miraculously fought off two assaults by the 305th Division. I’m pretty sure Mike must have cursed a few times over that one. Thank you Karma.

Overall situation

Well disaster is looming up by Selikanovo. I really need to rush my armour back there.

The 84th Rgt at Svenchhinkovskiy is in a tricky situation as it needs to try and hold on to this supply source but NOT get cut off. The annoying thing is that he probably doesn’t outnumber me here. 3 German companies have 3 Guards Battalions in a bind!

I have to try and rescue the 40th Gds Sapper Bn as well....somehow?

The situation in the west is a bit strange. I cant release the armour yet. I should be able to get the 2/40th and 3/427th units out of isolation but for how long. The 2/427th looks doomed.

I’m still optimistic of saving the 616th Art Rgt and the 298th Art Rgt may have to bug out this turn.