• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sealion '40 OoB anomalies
10-21-2018, 10:33 PM,
Sealion '40 OoB anomalies
I picked up Sealion '40 the other night, and right away started play, aided with Volcano Man's content, the Dover alt scenario.  Right off the bat, one of my Sturm para regiments is BROKEN during the first turn (!!!???) against the Tommies.  Read that again STURM paras, essentially German supersoldiers.  I did a little digging into the OoB via the Editor and found that the Sturm troops are not even rated as A quality, a lot of the troops of 16th Army are rated C as well, which struck me as odd.  Am I off base ?  Please do correct me if I am wrong, it would greatly help.
Thanks,
Travis
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2018, 12:56 AM,
RE: Sealion '40 OoB anomalies
My problem with the base game OOB is the use of German bicycle battalions in every regiment.. I guess it was done to give the Germans greater mobility but, technically all WW2 infantry divisions had access to motorised transport in order to advance elements before the marching main body. Except in the case of a German invasion of England in 1940 where they would have to wait several days (unlikely given Royal Navy response) for motorised supply columns to be shipped in. Bicycles wouldn't actually offer much speed advantage over the British home guard with plenty of access to civil automobiles. So, the opposite set of mobility would have been true and the Germans would have to slug it out slowly on their march to London.
Sealion '40 OOB should have been more balanced to begin with. The base game is overwhelmingly in favor of Germany I think while Volcanoman probably tried to lower those qualities.
10-22-2018, 07:17 AM,
Difficult to say why as this is a hypothetical game and so there are no historical sources to explain why they start broken, have you read the scenario notes in the designer document?
10-22-2018, 12:07 PM,
I believe when Glenn setup some of the scenarios, he allowed it to actually play out from the landings where some units have taken fatigue, become disrupted/broken. He essentially took a save game and made that the starting point of the scenario.

I don't want to comment on the OOB as I have not really looked at it to date, but the premise of the game fascinates me...

David
10-22-2018, 02:06 PM,
Looking forward to the Gold version of Sealion.