• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question on stacking
10-16-2018, 05:47 AM,
Question on stacking
Hey there, still trying to conquer France and figure things out at the same time :)

I've learned about the absolut max stacking that prohibits movement into an overstacked hex - makes sense. I've learned that exceeding the road stacking limit kills movement points when entering an overstacked hex - ok. But there seems to be no other penalty except for the maximum fire than could originate from a hex or am I wrong? No penalty on getting fired upon? I guess having lots of men and vehicles in one hex will make for a juice artillery or bomber target, but otherwise my men don't seem to be in more danger when this close together. 

Am I getting this wrong?

I'm asking because I was pondering whether to send a unit across a bridge this turn, into an overstacked (road) hex, or if I should wait for next turn when there is more room. The whole thing is very interesting to me. Getting my units across the Meuse *fast* is a logistical challenge to say the least. I'm dealing with actual traffic jams and I'm loving it. 

Anyway, thanks for any help. 
Have a good one!
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2018, 06:32 AM,
RE: Question on stacking
There are optional rules that do exactly what you are saying; inflict more casualties the more populated a hex. I believe they are the alternate fire resolution rules.

Regarding your crossing the river question; it depends what is more important to you:
If your unit cannot get out of T-mode after crossing, then yes it is prone to suffering more casualties next turn.
You will have to weigh what is more important; preserving your local force numbers, or getting more assets across the river asap.

I would have usually always preferred not incurring the inflated losses, but my current opponent in a Minsk campaign game is using Engineer river ferrying on a massive scale, presenting me with more T-mode units than I can hit. It has been very effective and an eye opener
10-16-2018, 08:16 AM,
RE: Question on stacking
You're right, I now recall having selected these alternate fire resolution rules per the guide stickied in this forum! OK, so that makes sense, good. Thanks for bringing it up.

I hadn't considered the T-mode question and of course you're right. The PzGren already over the river are pushing back the defenders, which are disrupted but not yet broken. It wouldn't be smart to pile in tanks in T-mode. It's just that there are a lot of assets waiting in line which made that option tempting to me, as it's dawning on me that time is the real enemy in the "Crossing the Meuse" scenario.