• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How about a new map for the new AGEOD engine
10-15-2018, 02:39 AM,
How about a new map for the new AGEOD engine
I have been a long term fan of AGEOD’s strategic games since the first “Birth of America” game  and particularly attached to Alea Jacta Est and its DLC / add on scenarios. Think the area movement system is particularly good at covering warfare before the rise of mass armies made continuous battle fronts possible.

While its good that we are getting a new engine I wonder if an additional master map is needed as well, specifically one that is less Eurocentric.  The current master map has its top left hand corner north west of Scotland and its bottom right hand corner in South West Iran.

This is great for games centred on a world view that see the Mediterranean as the “middle sea” at the centre of the civilised world and there are quite a few more games set in late antiquity and the medieval to early modern periods that AGEOD can no doubt do with it, however one of the strength of the AGEOD series that always been hat it does wars that other play by email games do not.

To really open things up here I think we need what I would call a “Cradle of Civilisations” map that has its top left hand corner in the Czech Republic and its bottom right hand corner in the Indian state of Odisha.

This is a world where the centre of gravity is in the area of the Cities of Babylon and Bagdad and where both the Central Asian steppe superhighway and the endless planes of northern and central India are wide open for conquest and empire building. Games and DLC that might use such a map could include, to name but a few.

1.The conquest of the Persian Empire by Alexander the Great
2.The wars of Alexander’s successors and  the dynasties they founded .
3.The Arab empires wars of conquest against the byzantine and Persian empires and the wars of the Islamic successor states to the Abbasid Caliphate.
4.The wars of conquest in Central Asia the Middle East and Eastern Europe by the Mongols.
5.The Campaigns of Tamerlane and his descendants including the Moguls in India  down to 1600.
6. The 4 way struggle for power between the Ottomans, Safavids, Uzbeks and Moguls in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Any thoughts guys ?

Regards
Ian
Quote this message in a reply