• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
10-07-2018, 01:37 AM,
Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
Looking for a balanced Napoleonic game. I have all the HPS games. Whomever picks the scenario, the other picks the side. Preferred optional rules attached. Any size okay, though bigger scenarios mean potentially longer response times.

House rule: Skirmishers stay within 3 hexes of at least one battalion of the same formation (no commando missions). If they are outside of 3 hexes, they cannot fire offensively or melee till they are back within 3 hexes. They must try to return to 3 hexes or take shelter in other than clear terrain.

Havoc aka Scott
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2018, 08:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 08:59 AM by geoff.)
RE: Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
Skirmishers 3 hexes from any unit in the formation is rather commando. How about 5 hexes from parent or they must sit still or march directly to their parent unit? I assume you mean MDF, NRO, PR, MIM off which is good for me. I'd like to play Campaign Jena-Auerstedt scenario: #03a_1. The Battle of Jena - Variant #1. I don't know how balanced it is though but, the description seems to entail that it is. One other house rule I'd like to pose is no withdrawing of forces because from a glance the OBJs and starting VPs are so imbalanced as to allow a Prussian minor victory if they just retreat...
10-08-2018, 09:03 AM,
(10-07-2018, 08:55 AM)geoff Wrote: Skirmishers 3 hexes from any unit in the formation is rather commando. How about 5 hexes from parent or they must sit still or march directly to their parent unit? I assume you mean MDF, NRO, PR, MIM off which is good for me. I'd like to play Campaign Jena-Auerstedt scenario: #03a_1. The Battle of Jena - Variant #1. I don't know how balanced it is though but, the description seems to entail that it is. One other house rule I'd like to pose is no withdrawing of forces because from a glance the OBJs and starting VPs are so imbalanced as to allow a Prussian minor victory if they just retreat...

I did 3 hexes from the parent formation so it would be easy to track by using the formation toggle, instead of having to look at each unit and find the particular skirmisher that goes to it.  Can't look at the Jena just yet as I'm waiting for the JTS key code (recently changed computers, so now all my games need the key again for some reason).

I agree with no withdrawal from map.  I'll let you know when I can open Jena again.
10-08-2018, 09:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-08-2018, 09:51 AM by geoff.)
You said you had the HPS versions. If that is so than they're all current at HPS updates except for top down zoom-in for Austerlitz. I never got updates keys for my old HPS games. Doesn't seem necessary. If you'd like something larger I'm interested in the Austerlitz battle campaign. Anything would be fine with me though.

Skirmisher management does get annoying (especially when they rout everywhere). I concede to that house rule.
10-09-2018, 10:55 AM,
(10-08-2018, 09:49 AM)geoff Wrote: You said you had the HPS versions. If that is so than they're all current at HPS updates except for top down zoom-in for Austerlitz. I never got updates keys for my old HPS games. Doesn't seem necessary. If you'd like something larger I'm interested in the Austerlitz battle campaign. Anything would be fine with me though.

Skirmisher management does get annoying (especially when they rout everywhere). I concede to that house rule.

Don't much care for the campaign mode as you can win big and the next battle doesn't reflect it in the next set up.  I'll play the large campaign scenarios though.

HPS doesn't update the games anymore, so you have to do it through JTS.

I've got the product keys now, so I'll take a look at the Jena 03a.
10-09-2018, 11:10 AM,
The Austerlitz battle "campaign" is a single scenario with operational decisions beforehand. Seems like a cool setup except it doesn't allow for the French to remain on the Pratzen heights. If you have a better idea of what you'd like to play than I'll choose the force. I'd rather play Jena or Austerlitz though because earlier titles were alot less refined.