• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Engineers --> Bridges --> Armor?
10-03-2018, 12:18 AM,
Help  Engineers --> Bridges --> Armor?
Hey there!

I'm playing France 40, trying to cross the Meuse. Turns out I can't for the life of me figure out if my tanks will cross a bridge built by my engineers (Bridge Operations) or if they need an intact heavy bridge in order to do so. Before I rout a few divisions, can someone help me out with an answer?

Appreciate any help.
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2018, 03:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2018, 03:48 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: Engineers --> Bridges --> Armor?
A bridge built by engineers is considered a heavy bridge and so anything can cross, only if there is difficult terrain on the hex's it spans over the river between (i.e marsh/swamp) could you have issues moving mechanised units.
10-03-2018, 06:48 AM,
(10-03-2018, 03:47 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: A bridge built by engineers is considered a heavy bridge and so anything can cross, only if there is difficult terrain on the hex's it spans over the river between (i.e marsh/swamp) could you have issues moving mechanised units.

Adding a few lines in the manual to say this would be helpful for new players. 

My Gold User pdf says it was last updated Oct 14 2012. I think we need an update?

Good advice though on where to build the bridge. I think if you build a bridge between hexes which have roads on them then you gain the benifit of being able to use road movement through the hexside.........I think?
10-04-2018, 04:36 AM,
Yes the units would gain the movement advantage of the road in that hex, so the best possible situation is to find a hex next to a river with a woods (or other defensive terrain) hex with a road running through it, the woods will provide a defensive benefit for the bridge engineers and mechanised units could then move in T mode along the road through the wood hex and then over the bridge.

It is also worth considering the terrain on the other side of the river as you would not want to prevent your mech units being able to exploit the crossing.  Wink
10-05-2018, 06:34 AM,
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'm glad to see this information really seems to be missing from the manual. ;)