• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Teamproject "Hell gate: The Breakout from Cherkassy“
09-25-2018, 10:34 AM,
RE: Teamproject "Hell gate: The Breakout from Cherkassy“
Hey Mike:

I'm onboard, no worries here.
I often forget to add the smilies and such, so folks think I'm dead serious when I'm really just "half serious".
Sarcasm font might help?
It did give me pause when Jason let me know the new coding system was fundamentally incompatible with the old, but I understand some things can't be helped.

Looking forward to it actually.
And yes, I'm going to find a way to save my stuff, come Hell or high water.
With help from guys like yourself, Jason, etc., it will happen.

Don't worry...we'll drag the other old bastards along for the ride...;)

I appreciate the work you guys put in, we all do.
If the worst thing we can bitch about is color scheme?...you're probably on the right track...

Regards,

Dan
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2018, 07:21 PM,
(09-25-2018, 03:56 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: NOT trying to start a rumble here...although with my history (ancient for the most part) I could see where you may believe otherwise.  Ho ho...  I exchanged emails with Jason on the matter a month or two ago and he explained it's some sort of coding limitation (way over my head guys) and there really wasn't a lot they could do about it.

On the PLUS side Jason did indicate our MAPS at least should be "transferable" as it were.

Of course...my problem...I love making maps...and I hate making OOBs.
Not hate really, more of a case of having that hot blonde finally come through and finding out she was just as full of crap as the rest of 'em...  The OOB requires dedication and sacrifice!...lol...

That's right, the coding system with Unit IDs is completely revamped, meaning the old OOB files are not compatible with new ones. The old system "only" allowed 1000 individual unit IDs per nation, which sounds a lot, but for instance with JTCS Germans they were all used up by now. 

The new systems allows for 10 000 individual unit IDs, which allows for much more detailed OOB hierarchy than what was there before. And there's been a huge effort with new OOBs, they really are a different beast nowasays. 

There's a few blog posts about the new OOBs on our site, have a look: http://cslegion.com/csl/category/orders_of_battle/

Yes, the old map files convert as-is. It is then possible to edit them to include new map features, like anti-tank ditches or say airfields, if so wanted. So converting an old JTCS scenario would require creating a new ORG file with Org Editor, then opening that one and the old map file with Scenario Editor, and placing the units on map, adding Objectives and what not.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
09-25-2018, 11:53 PM,
If being realistic and truthful is over-dramatic and persnickety then I am all of that ... and more. Farmer

If you cannot easily port scenarios into EFIII, as we know we will not, and we lose all the great classic scenarios then we do have a problem and not an opportunity.
If we change the scenarios as we "recreate" them to make them workable in EFIII then they surely will not be the classics we know and loved?
The original scenarios made the game great when it first came out and remained so  for all these years.

I dunno, not having them in EFIII kinda means we will be stuck with what is produced at first and then wait to see if the classics will be re-made by others?

Farmer

HSL
09-26-2018, 01:30 AM,
Ed, that's basically it, I mean, we've been pretty open from the beginning that the new CSEF 1939-1941 will be a brand new game, with 1942-43 and 1944-45 modules to be added later, and as you've pointed out, it will either stand on its own, or, well, not.

I certainly hope to see a lot of JTCS content being converted. Let us hope there's interest for that.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
09-26-2018, 03:04 AM,
I will redo any that I made, didn't make many, but will certainly redo them!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
09-26-2018, 09:30 AM,
Petri,

I'm not saying anything bad. You and the team have been open all the way. I knew from the beginning that it will be a new game, with new scenarios and campaigns. I was all for it.

My issue has always been to not mess with the classic and make whatever new game that you would like. Unfortunately the classic has been messed with. That fractured the community.
I'm disappointed that the decision to drop the support for JTCS and do nothing to add to it, like the new kick ass 2-D view, kinda left the "die hards" to wither on the vine.

All that said, I will most likely buy EFIII in hopes that it is not too similar to ME (the team learned from their mistakes) and will have good scenarios and campaigns. From my experience with the team their track record is thin at best. I may try to redo some of my scenarios but I have to get my interest boosted. And, they have not been played much anyway? Propeller Hat

But, I will continue to play on with JTCS until I run out of opponents or self. Hang2

Farmer

HSL
09-26-2018, 10:38 AM,
Yeah, the full strategic realistic picture of the battle you couldn't really capture, but how about a phase of the battle such as the breakout to Lisyanka?  (see attached map)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_...-map-5.jpg

With regards to East Front III, I think its a great, noble, and wonderful endeavor to further the legacy of the Greatest Game Ever Created by Mankind. I've consistently played EF since 97' and its my all-time favorite. Perfectly Squad-Leaderesque. My understanding was that III would be the exact same game but with a revamped and much improved design engine. Great! But no need to mess with the graphics and basic design flow I hope.
We wish them well and hope it turns out to be a killer game!
09-26-2018, 02:39 PM,
I'm not being sarcastic but serious. Petri after your explanation I really don't think the new game should be called CS EFIII. Call it something different.
09-26-2018, 11:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2018, 02:01 AM by Kool Kat.)
(09-26-2018, 09:30 AM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Petri,

I'm not saying anything bad. You and the team have been open all the way. I knew from the beginning that it will be a new game, with new scenarios and campaigns. I was all for it.

My issue has always been to not mess with the classic and make whatever new game that you would like. Unfortunately the classic has been messed with. That fractured the community.
I'm disappointed that the decision to drop the support for JTCS and do nothing to add to it, like the new kick ass 2-D view, kinda left the "die hards" to wither on the vine.

All that said, I will most likely buy EFIII in hopes that it is not too similar to ME (the team learned from their mistakes) and will have good scenarios and campaigns. From my experience with the team their track record is thin at best. I may try to redo some of my scenarios but I have to get my interest boosted. And, they have not been played much anyway? Propeller Hat

But, I will continue to play on with JTCS until I run out of opponents or self. Hang2

Farmer

HSL

Hey Ed:  Smoke7

It's been a while?  Idea2

Like you, I recognized during the early EFIII development phase that the "classic" JTCS was being abandoned - no support or new development. Also, NO ability to port player developed JTCS scenarios to the new game.

Remember my "old train rusting on the tracks" post over at Matrix Games Forums?

For me, these initiatives knocked the wind out of my sails. There were several WF, EF, and RS scenarios that I had developed, taken through H2H Productions, gotten approved and have been enjoyed by players. These scenarios were definitely "labors of love" and I will always value the time I spent working with fellow players and tweaking my creations to their final results.

But time has a way of marching on... and I have moved on in my life. I don't have the time or desire to go back and "re-create" these scenarios in the EFIII or other III'ish platforms. I don't have the desire to continue to play games in a JTCS environment that has no support or new development initiatives. And I don't have plans to purchase EFIII and go down that road of learning an entirely new game platform. So be it.

I moved on to the JTS operational games (Panzer Campaigns, Modern Campaigns) several years ago and have found my gaming niche.

Shout out to all my former JTCS comrades!  Good to read there are still some spirited discussions in the CS Forums! I wish you guys all the best! Good gaming everyone!  Smile
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
09-27-2018, 11:44 PM,
It's cool you guys speak out loud. Please continue. Just remember we're not Microsoft, just a few guys with a day job for paying the rent before any game development takes place. There's limits what we can and cannot do.
Visit us at CSLegion.com