• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern War
09-16-2018, 04:23 AM,
Modern War
I've been eyeing MW for sometime , I'm looking for some insight and opinions on this title . How well does the "engine " handle modern weapons,  I've seen on other forums posters stating the engine really struggles with combat resolution in a modern setting. I have some personal insight to operations and battles covered by the title how historic correct are the oob ?

Thankful for any insight
Animo Et Fide
Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2018, 11:58 PM,
RE: Modern War
Hi,
I'm not an expert on Modern OOB's but my general impression of the SB series is that these are well researched and representative and I see no reason why MW should be otherwise. 

I dont see any issues with the game engine struggling with combat resolution in a modern setting either. 

Could you be specific about how it was viewed as "struggling with combat resolution in a modern setting"?
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
09-17-2018, 03:10 AM,
Modern oob are well documented , if you have MW are the oob correct is my question ?

As far as my question on combat resolution in MW ,  in my search for AARs covering MW  I have read multiple post in forums and AARs stating SB "struggles" with complex modern weapon systems resulting in frustrating combat results. I figured this would be the most logical place to ask if there is anything to these opinions. 

The general "opinions" ive been seeing in AARs and other forum discussions is the SB engine was  " designed for Infantry combat" after Vietnam the engine  is not suited well for modern warfare tactics and weapon systems?
Animo Et Fide
09-17-2018, 04:21 AM,
(09-17-2018, 03:10 AM)19Delta Wrote: Modern oob are well documented , if you have MW are the oob correct is my question ?

As far as my question on combat resolution in MW ,  in my search for AARs covering MW  I have read multiple post in forums and AARs stating SB "struggles" with complex modern weapon systems resulting in frustrating combat results. I figured this would be the most logical place to ask if there is anything to these opinions. 

The general "opinions" ive been seeing in AARs and other forum discussions is the SB engine was  " designed for Infantry combat" after Vietnam the engine  is not suited well for modern warfare tactics and weapon systems?

Someone else may be better qualified to answer your question, I am afraid I don't have the time or inclination to look up real world OOBs and compare them with the OOB's in Modern war so I cant comment. 

Of course as in all SB games the OOB's are editable so if you are'nt happy with them you can change them, JTS has a pretty good reputation for user involvement in improving the games so if you had a contribution to make...that would be likely to be well received.

My view, and its only my view, is that MW does a good enough job and the engine seems to suit modern weapon systems and tactics well enough.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
09-17-2018, 05:00 AM,
SB has always been an infantry centered engine, regardless of the time period covered. Would need to see specifics on what "isn't being modeled well"... that's a pretty wide open statement. What some people loose sight of is the difference between fire range results and combat. Nothing is ever as lethal on the battlefield as it is in a perfect controlled environment.

And as always problems are best submitted to the Support at johntillersoftware.com account if issues are found...
09-17-2018, 10:52 AM,
(09-17-2018, 05:00 AM)rahamy Wrote: SB has always been an infantry centered engine, regardless of the time period covered. Would need to see specifics on what "isn't being modeled well"... that's a pretty wide open statement. What some people loose sight of is the difference between fire range results and combat. Nothing is ever as lethal on the battlefield as it is in a perfect controlled environment.

And as always problems are best submitted to the Support  at  johntillersoftware.com  account if issues are found...

Fair enough....thanks  Helmet Wink
Animo Et Fide
09-18-2018, 02:25 AM,
Maybe you will find something here!

https://sites.google.com/site/jzs-place/...-home-page
Greetings, HaPe
09-18-2018, 08:59 AM,
(09-18-2018, 02:25 AM)O.Schmidt Wrote: Maybe you will find something here!

https://sites.google.com/site/jzs-place/...-home-page

Fantastic site,  lot of insightful info there  ...thank you
Animo Et Fide
09-18-2018, 09:12 AM,
(09-17-2018, 04:21 AM)Embis Wrote: Someone else may be better qualified to answer your question, I am afraid I don't have the time or inclination to look up real world OOBs and compare them with the OOB's in Modern war so I cant comment. 

Of course as in all SB games the OOB's are editable so if you are'nt happy with them you can change them, JTS has a pretty good reputation for user involvement in improving the games so if you had a contribution to make...that would be likely to be well received.

My view, and its only my view, is that MW does a good enough job and the engine seems to suit modern weapon systems and tactics well enough.

Perfect,  appreciate the reply .... it's hard to get a realistic view of Tiller  titles outside of a few forums. ..... downloading now  Helmet Smile
Animo Et Fide
09-19-2018, 11:33 PM,
If you want small arms/small unit tactics, SB is the best choice...regardless whether you want to play MW of FWW. The challenge with MW is the asymmetric nature of the conflict...its hard being the "enemy" in MW going up against American fire power.