• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Returning SB Player - Observations
09-12-2018, 01:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 09:57 PM by Kool Kat.)
Returning SB Player - Observations
Gents:  Smoke7

Returning SB player (Absent for 5 years) with some game play observations.

SB has more "luck" (uncertain) factors than Panzer and Modern Campaigns game systems.

For example:
  • Vehicles may breakdown and become immobile while moving.
  • A 120 mm mortar round lands on a hex occupied by an enemy squad. No effect on that squad, but an adjacent enemy squad gets pinned.
  • An AFV assaults an enemy squad defense position. The 1st assault yields 0/0, but the 2nd assault is a 0/4.

I understand SB is a tactical scale game - individual vehicles and 7-9 man squads.

But as a commander, how do you "plan" for these results? 

More importantly, how do you adopt and change your tactics to minimize such "unknowns?" Idea2

I have read the SB tactics threads and I am currently playing my 1st SB PBeM match in 5 years!  Yikes

Learning a lot. Baptism by fire!  Shocked

Any general advice - broad stroke comments are fine - on more effective management of SB forces, is most welcome! 

BTW, I am playing as the attacker and plan to continue to do so for my next several games since IMO getting the attacker dynamics and game play down is essential to both learning and becoming a better overall SB player. Playing effective defense is not as difficult as being on the attacking side.  Smile
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2018, 08:22 AM,
RE: Returning SB Player - Observations
(09-12-2018, 01:37 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents:  Smoke7

But as a commander, how do you "plan" for these results? 

More importantly, how do you adopt and change your tactics to minimize such "unknowns?" 

In Brief,
You stack as much in your favour as you can..and then you keep your fingers crossed.
as Cardinal Mazarin (Not Napoleon!!) said:

"the question to ask of a general is not, Is he skilful? but , is he lucky?"

NAP
Scale
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply