• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Missing unit picture
07-29-2018, 09:24 PM,
Missing unit picture
Is there a procedure for fixing units with missing pictures, and if so can someone walk me thru it?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2018, 01:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2018, 01:09 AM by Xaver.)
RE: Missing unit picture
Depends of the "missing" motive, sometimes is that the pic name is wrong, this is easy to solve:

1-select unit
2-right click in the unit panel
3-see the name that appear in the top of the unit chain command list, this is the file name used by the unit

https://i.imgur.com/TymqV8N.jpg

4-enter in game folder
5-search the nation of unit and enter in UNITS folder
6-first see if the file is present or if the name of file is the same that appear in the step 3
7-is file is MIA you need find one (this is a very rare problem... but appears in mods or scens using non stock OOB), if is a simple name problem rename it
07-30-2018, 04:56 AM,
(07-29-2018, 09:24 PM)Kingfish Wrote: Is there a procedure for fixing units with missing pictures, and if so can someone walk me thru it?

Thanks

Lot's of different quick way's of fixing this, but you state units, so how many units are missing.
Start at the beginning, tell us which game, which Nation's, and list units MIA, also is it a mod/scenario.
07-31-2018, 08:39 AM,
(07-30-2018, 04:56 AM)Lowlander Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 09:24 PM)Kingfish Wrote: Is there a procedure for fixing units with missing pictures, and if so can someone walk me thru it?

Thanks

Lot's of different quick way's of fixing this, but you state units, so how many units are missing.
Start at the beginning, tell us which game, which Nation's, and list units MIA, also is it a mod/scenario.

NGP85. Scenario is #99_01s War in Germany (Early NATO Air Interdiction). The units in question were the Cav squadrons organic to the US divisions (not Armored Cav). In addition there is also the Russian Pontoon Engineer units.

I've since found a way to get the missing picture installed but it appears I've opened another can of worms. Per Xaver's recommendations I opened up each unit in the editor and assigned a picture from the unit folder. However in doing so I seem to have cross referenced the Russian engineer and pontoon engineer units, so now all the Russian engineers are equipped with boats, and I can't find where that feature is listed in the unit editor.

So, how do I remove the "has boats" feature from the regular Russian engineer units?
07-31-2018, 02:12 PM,
So it is hard determining what you did. Xaver didn't recommend editing units, he recommended editing image names in the units folders as needed - or I would have said to copy existing images and naming the new copy to match. But there is no unit editor as such, that I am aware of. There is the OOB editor that allows you to edit a unit, and save it, which would update globally the unit component you changed. In which case you should be able to edit the regular engineers. But has boats is set in the scenario editor, one unit at a time.

Can you explain a bit more on what you did as you are missing something - either what you describe isn't quite correct - the unit capabilities were changed globally to some other type of bridging, but not has boats, or you added has boats to all of the engineers, which doesn't seem right either.

And when I look at that scenario, all of the Russian bridge engineers I see so far are has boats.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
07-31-2018, 07:46 PM,
The following is an example of what I did to restore the missing picture for the US Cav squadron:

-Open up 'MCEDIT' and find unit on map
-Open up 'MCOOB" and find unit in oob list
-Right click on unit and choose edit
-In the 'component' field the unit is listed as BRADLEY
-Open up folder containing assorted unit pictures for that nationality
-I didn't see a BRADLY icon but did see a M2 BRADLEY
-Change the unit component from BRADLY to M2 BRADLEY
-Save and close both MCOOB and MCEDIT
-Reopen MCEDIT and search on the map for the Cav squadron I just edited, and viola the picture is restored

I did the same to the AH Cobra and the Russian Pontoon, but as I mentioned now all the Russian engineers have boats.

BTW, it appears that the designer for this particular scenario added a pontoon regiment to the OOB. The NGP OOB only shows each army as having one engineer brigade of two units (none with boats), whereas the 'War in Germany' OOB has those units plus the pontoon regiment of two units (all with boats).
07-31-2018, 07:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2018, 07:48 PM by Xaver.)
Ok, best thing you can do is copy saved games to a folder, uninstall the game, install it again AND create a copy of game to install mods, in the copy for mods simple remove ALL scen files, and test the MIA images, with this you can know if is a problem with stock game or a mod problem.

When you find an unit without image best thing is see whats the name of image file MIA and as i said try find it in images folder, if is not present copy an image that could work as the MIA image, rename it for unit and use it.

Ummm the scen you post is a stock scen not using McNamara OOBs... try download volcanoman mod and install it in a copy of game and see if the images are still MIA but is very strange that a stock scen has MIA images.

http://www.volcanomods.com/index.php?opt...&Itemid=27

EDIT: is much faster introduce in units folder a new file with the name of missing image, you dont need touch OOB editor and solve problem for ALL units that use that image.
08-01-2018, 01:07 PM,
As Xaver said. You definitely don't want to change the components for the units as that could potentially change all sorts of unit values. You want to add image files with a name that match your component, most simply by copying existing images and renaming.
[Image: exercise.png]
08-02-2018, 10:42 AM,
Thanks, that did the trick, and a lot easier than the method I first tried.

This brings up a related question: how do I remove the 'has boats' feature from the Russian engineer units that are not labeled as pontoon engineers?
08-02-2018, 07:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2018, 07:34 PM by Lowlander. Edit Reason: clarifacations )
(08-02-2018, 10:42 AM)Kingfish Wrote: Thanks, that did the trick, and a lot easier than the method I first tried.

This brings up a related question: how do I remove the 'has boats' feature from the Russian engineer units that are not labeled as pontoon engineers?

You don't as these are assault boats for ferrying troops across rivers and canals, check rule book page 48. Plus check on full water hexes same section.
Units being ferried must be " on foot " or horse, and MUST be in travel mode.

The engineers with " has boats " cannot build a pontoon bridge.