• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
09-12-2020, 12:17 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
(09-11-2020, 10:04 PM)berto Wrote: In theory, that might work, yes.  In practice, I am not sure how you would bring that about.

Here is something that might work.  Maybe.

In the Campaign Series, we too have faced several examples where large scenarios would fail to load, because so many unit types and so many display modes are supported.  I had one (Linux) laptop where this was the case.  Other cases (Windows laptops) were reported.

My solution to this was to prepare an alternate _no3D version of the game engine, which is now a standard added feature in the games' public releases.

As you might guess, with the _no3D version, any 3D graphics are not loaded.  And in game, there is no way to switch to 3D displays; everything is strictly limited to 2D only.

So it should be possible to prepare a _huge version of the PzB EXEs that blocks program load of the pictorial unit counter graphics, that only loads Unit Card and NATO unit counter graphics, and confines the display (with suitable menu gray-outs) to on-map, on-counter NATO symbols only.

A virtue of this approach is that it would not require developing any alternative OOBs, would not require changing the game data in any way.  It would just require a bit of programming, which shouldn't be too bad.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign - by berto - 09-12-2020, 12:17 AM