• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
09-08-2020, 07:16 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
Okay, I think we have drilled as deeply into the game code as maybe we can.  I now have a new low-level, system function call to ponder.  Beyond the code traces, I will investigate to see if there are any diagnostics I can add just before this new code pinpoint (and point of program lock-up).

Thanks for your cooperation, and patience.
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2020, 07:46 AM,
(09-08-2020, 07:16 AM)berto Wrote: Okay, I think we have drilled as deeply into the game code as maybe we can.  I now have a new low-level, system function call to ponder.  Beyond the code traces, I will investigate to see if there are any diagnostics I can add just before this new code pinpoint (and point of program lock-up).

And I do appreciate the effort you continue to put into helping solve this, I'm sure, unique problem. I'm not a big fan of small scale scenarios, but am a huge fan of large scale ones. Go big or go home is a silly motto of mine. I enjoy creating larger scenarios and being able to do so would give me the incentive to stick along for the ride with PzB series.
Atheory / Designer of the "Tattered Flags Wargame Engine"(Currently on the look for a developer partner)
09-08-2020, 09:33 PM,
(09-08-2020, 07:46 AM)Ocito80 Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 07:16 AM)berto Wrote: Okay, I think we have drilled as deeply into the game code as maybe we can.  I now have a new low-level, system function call to ponder.  Beyond the code traces, I will investigate to see if there are any diagnostics I can add just before this new code pinpoint (and point of program lock-up).

And I do appreciate the effort you continue to put into helping solve this, I'm sure, unique problem. I'm not a big fan of small scale scenarios, but am a huge fan of large scale ones. Go big or go home is a silly motto of mine. I enjoy creating larger scenarios and being able to do so would give me the incentive to stick along for the ride with PzB series.

Good luck with this Guys and thanks for all the work you are putting in. I much prefer the large scenarios as well.
09-09-2020, 07:11 AM,
@Ocito80:

I think maybe the only way I can pursue this any further is to somehow replicate your error condition here.

Please try another experiment.  Using the same, latest pbedit.exe (version #7)

-- Every time you add a new unit (or whatever), save the scenario, except ...
-- Wait a while to see if the editor has locked up.  Only if the editor has not locked up, only then proceed to add another unit (or ?).  Do not save if the scenario has locked up!  I need to get a .scn file that just precedes the lock-up, not one with the lock-up just having occurred.
-- When the scenario locks up, in addition to the Logs/pbedit.log file, also zip up and send your saved .scn file -- the one you saved just before adding the unit (or ?) that precipitates the lock-up.
-- Although the pbedit.log should indicate it, please indicate the last unit you added (and that caused the lock-up), also at which hex you have added the unit (or ?).

If I still can't replicate the error, I can only guess why your setup would lock up while mine would not.

Dumb question, maybe:  What version of Windows are you using?  Also what build?  (Available in the Control Panel under PC Name.)  I have just been assuming you are using Windows 10!

Also, what is your system RAM?  Your video card, and its RAM?  These last probably don't matter, since I think you are exhausting some constrained Windows "system resource" other than raw memory.  Still, it wouldn't hurt for me to know your system specs better.

If I can't replicate the lock-up here, there might indeed be something different/weird about your [OS] setup that explains the difference in outcomes.

We shall see, I hope.  Good luck.
09-09-2020, 08:14 AM,
Sure thing, here we go.

My system is windows 10, 32gig RAM, and a nvidia 1070ti video card, processor is a ryzan 1700 3.6ghz
Win10 build version = 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Enclosed is the scenario file and pbedit as requested.

The next unit I place locks up the program.
Hex = 573, 239
Unit = 23/E/12 Devonshire Regt (6th airborne)

Attached Files
.zip   Scenarios.zip (Size: 62.35 KB / Downloads: 2)
Atheory / Designer of the "Tattered Flags Wargame Engine"(Currently on the look for a developer partner)
09-09-2020, 08:18 AM,
A side observation - on another attempt, I was able to place the infantry units of the next battalion (belonging to the 6th airborne) but when I went to place their H company units (same as E company in previous posting) the program locked up.
09-09-2020, 11:27 AM,
(09-09-2020, 08:14 AM)Ocito80 Wrote: Enclosed is the scenario file and pbedit as requested.

The next unit I place locks up the program.
Hex = 573, 239
Unit = 23/E/12 Devonshire Regt (6th airborne)

Okay, now we are getting somewhere.

On adding that unit, or the next one (24/E/12), I too experience lock-up here.  Running a special pbedit.exe compiled in DEBUG mode, and single stepping through the code, the Visual Studio 2019 IDE reports several exceptions, culminating finally in an "unhandled exception" deep in the Windows graphics subsystem.  Then ... lock-up.

This is a major step forward.  Now, for the first time, I am able to replicate the error on my end here.  I am no longer reliant on you for your input; I can dive deeply into the situation on my own, and with the full complement of development/debugging tools at my disposal, not to mention on-line docs and Internet searches.

Maybe we can lick this problem yet!
09-09-2020, 11:59 AM,
I will be standing by for what I hope will result in good news.

Until then
GL
09-10-2020, 11:23 AM,
I have bad news.  Simply put, yes, the scenario is now so large as to exhaust available Windows graphics system resources.  Without major code redesign and reworking, there is no fixing this AFAIK.

I am at wits end.  I gave it my best shot, but missed the mark.

Sorry this has not worked out as we had hoped.
09-10-2020, 11:40 AM,
(09-10-2020, 11:23 AM)berto Wrote: I have bad news.  Simply put, yes, the scenario is now so large as to exhaust available Windows graphics system resources.  Without major code redesign and reworking, there is no fixing this AFAIK.

I am at wits end.  I gave it my best shot, but missed the mark.

Sorry this has not worked out as we had hoped.

Aww poopy. Well, thanks for looking into it nonetheless.

Cheers