• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
09-06-2020, 07:44 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
I did as instructed. The program completely locked up on two successive attempts. I have enclosed both reports for comparison and analysis.

Attached Files
.zip   Logs.zip (Size: 145.49 KB / Downloads: 3)
Atheory / Designer of the "Tattered Flags Wargame Engine"(Currently on the look for a developer partner)
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2020, 08:19 AM,
Two things:

-- In only one of the two tests is there evidence of your having done the instructed Ctrl+Alt+5:

----------------
rober@B10Trto /cygdrive/c/Temp/Logs
$ ls
log#1.log  log#2.log

$ egrep -l "OnLogLevel" *.log
log#1.log

$ egrep "OnLogLevel" 'log#1.log'
2020-09-05 15:21:02 pbedit.exe: [TRACE ID 2011] (pzbedit.cpp, line 439, MainWindow::OnLogLevel5()) entering MainWindow::OnLogLevel5()
2020-09-05 15:21:02 pbedit.exe: [INFO ID 1] in MainWindow::OnLogLevel5(), old log level 1, new log level 5
2020-09-05 15:21:05 pbedit.exe: [TRACE ID 2012] (pzbedit.cpp, line 443, MainWindow::OnLogLevel5()) exiting MainWindow::OnLogLevel5()
----------------

You appear to have done the Ctrl+Alt+5 in log#1.log (thereby raising the LogLevel to level 5.)  From the line counts of the two log files, see how much more verbose the log#1.log (from the first trial?) is?

----------------
$ wc -l *.log
  65870 log#1.log
   9433 log#2.log
  75303 total
----------------

Just as important, I had requested that you not exit the program, but it appears you did so:

----------------
$ tail -n 1 *.log
==> log#1.log <==
2020-09-05 16:37:07 pbedit.exe: [INFO ID 1] pbedit.exe exit

==> log#2.log <==
2020-09-05 16:43:32 pbedit.exe: [INFO ID 1] pbedit.exe exit
----------------

When the program has "locked up", I request that is precisely when you -- apart from the "locked" pbedit.exe -- capture a "snapshot" of the Logs/pbedit.log right then and only then, no exiting of the program beforehand.

If it is not clear (appears not to be), please reread the earlier instructions carefully.

Good luck.
09-06-2020, 08:28 AM,
Also, if the program has truly "locked up", I don't know how you were able to exit it (as evidenced by the last line in each of the two log files, where it indicates "pbedit.exe"). There are certainly situations where a program might "truly" lock up, where in order to terminate the program you need to resort to the Windows Task Manager, because the program itself is completely unresponsive. By "locked up", I guess you really mean to say it is v-e-r-y slow. Recall too that when that happens, allowing the heightened logging to do its thing, you wait ~5 minutes before taking the Logs/pbedit.log snapshot. Again, when you do that, leave the program itself entirely alone, do not exit or do anything else when taking the log file snapshot!
09-06-2020, 08:29 AM,
Alright, I will be a master of this yet.

Here is a new log, the program is not exited, and I did the ctr-alt-5 command.

Attached Files
.zip   pbedit - Copy.zip (Size: 24.04 KB / Downloads: 1)
Atheory / Designer of the "Tattered Flags Wargame Engine"(Currently on the look for a developer partner)
09-06-2020, 08:32 AM,
And you waited for several minutes before capturing the snapshot, yes?
09-06-2020, 08:32 AM,
For added context between the two file sizes of the first two logs

The first log I added more units, and saved along the way. Again, I did not run into problems until the scenario reached a certain size, in this case 266kb seems to be the magic number.
09-06-2020, 08:35 AM,
(09-06-2020, 08:32 AM)berto Wrote: And you waited for several minutes before capturing the snapshot, yes?

Darn it, well the program is still open. I will resend the log after a few more minutes. I did wait with the previous two logs and the program did not respond, I do not have faith it will this time. But I will wait.
09-06-2020, 08:39 AM,
Yes, waiting the additional time ("a few more minutes") would be very useful. I can then compare your first snapshot with your second.
09-06-2020, 08:43 AM,
As of now 8 minutes have passed with the program open, and locked up.

Here is the log file.

Note: The program is still open and I'll keep it open for some time.

Attached Files
.zip   pbedit - Copy (2).zip (Size: 24.3 KB / Downloads: 1)
09-06-2020, 09:11 AM,
Okay, I am beginning to gain some insight here.

Here are the tail ends of your two snapshots.  The earlier one on the left, the later one on the right.

.jpg   PzB_pzbedit_slowdown1.JPG (Size: 498.1 KB / Downloads: 6)

Note that, in either case but especially the one on the right, we see that the code has entered the function ForcesDraw::LoadPicture(), but there is no exit.

From the times, the beginnings of each log entry, you can see where the logging has become very slow.

There does indeed seem to be a slowdown in the graphics system indicated.  [edit: Actually more than slowdown, rather, a real lock-up.]

... But, I have been called to dinner!

How about you kill the pbedit session now, and we take this up again tomorrow?  In the meantime, I will ponder the mystery of this.