• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
08-26-2020, 10:00 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
Cross your fingers, sounds like good news. I got the download from JTS support (thank you) and installed a fresh copy on my main drive. Imported my scenario data and I got the scenario above 267kb in size with no issues. I am confident I can progress forward.

Thanks again for the troubleshooting ideas.
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2020, 10:24 AM,
Obviously something got corrupted somewhere.  All's well that ends well.
08-26-2020, 10:48 AM,
You didn't cross your fingers, the program locked up at file size 273kb. I'm just going to chalk it up to something is wrong with my system, perhaps the OS install, I dunno. I'm going to take it as a sign that I am not suppose to mess with the PzB series.

I do appreciate the insights thus far. For now, I'm done fiddling.

Cheers
08-26-2020, 11:03 AM,
If I can't replicate a user problem here -- this one I cannot -- diagnosing and fixing a player reported issue becomes immensely more difficult.

I had mentioned that we have the option to crank up the built-in logging verbosity.  I could even supply you with custom-built EXEs with more and more code tracing and other diagnostic function calls to pinpoint where the difficulty lies (maybe).  Time consuming, a considerable effort?  Yes, but a remote debugging technique proven successful in the past (but not always).

But if you want to abandon the effort, that's fine too.  Sorry all is not well that, well, ends.
White Flag
08-26-2020, 01:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2020, 01:19 PM by Ocito80.)
I appreciate the offer. As this appears a unique case, with no other scenarios beyond 220k in size, I'm just not sure the added information those tools would provide would shed any light on this conundrum of mine. Everything works fine for me, until I hit those file sizes of 267kb one drive, and 273kb on the other drive. You had no problems pushing the scenario beyond those sizes, and I would have no problems creating any scenario below those sizes. With that I am lost for words, and ideas as to the cause at this point.

I will sleep on the matter, and perhaps in the coming days something will dawn on me.

Thanks so much
Cheers.
09-01-2020, 09:49 PM,
(08-26-2020, 01:17 PM)Ocito80 Wrote: I will sleep on the matter, and perhaps in the coming days something will dawn on me.

AHHHHHHH!!! Don't give up Ocito!!! Your plan for the multiday scenario is exactly my dream!!
09-04-2020, 08:32 AM,
I appreciate the encouragement. I still don't have an answer why my work in pbedit limits me to work within a specific file size. However, I have slowly tinkered the campaign scenario to involve the first 7-10 days of the invasion. I confess the energy level to complete it is much diminished compared to my grand design. Perhaps this weekend I'll dive into it again. All that's left is placing some allied reinforcements, german defenses (mines/obstacles) and some testing, okay, lots of testing.

cheers
Atheory / Designer of the "Tattered Flags Wargame Engine"(Currently on the look for a developer partner)
09-05-2020, 04:42 AM,
(08-26-2020, 11:03 AM)berto Wrote: I had mentioned that we have the option to crank up the built-in logging verbosity.  I could even supply you with custom-built EXEs with more and more code tracing and other diagnostic function calls to pinpoint where the difficulty lies (maybe).  Time consuming, a considerable effort?  Yes, but a remote debugging technique proven successful in the past (but not always).

If you are willing to try this, I am willing too.
09-05-2020, 08:24 AM,
Alright, lets give it a try; thanks berto.
Atheory / Designer of the "Tattered Flags Wargame Engine"(Currently on the look for a developer partner)
09-06-2020, 02:31 AM,
I have sent you email and PM requesting your private email address, in order that I can send you a special test version of pbedit.exe as email attachment.

When you get the test pbedit.exe, I would like you to:

-- Launch pbedit.exe, and load up your scenario.

-- Do the hotkey combo Ctrl+Alt+5.  This will raise your so-called "LogLevel" from the default 1 to the new higher level, 5.  You should see a pop-up like this:

.jpg   PzBOnLogLevel1.JPG (Size: 258 KB / Downloads: 4)

-- Add units (or whatever).  Note that at LogLevel 5, very many entries are added to Logs/pbedit.log.  This in itself will slow the program down, with so very many disk writes.

-- Be patient.  Both the heightened logging and the issue you describe will slow you down.

-- When your editing session slows down, perhaps "freezes", wait a while, 5 minutes say.  Then try doing something, maybe add another unit.

-- When you can no longer stand the slowness, without shutting down (exiting) the editor, leaving it as is, zip up the Logs/pbedit.log file, and post it here.  It is important that you not quit the program unless/until you have prepared (and posted) a Logs/pbedit.log file (zipped) that shows activity at the time of the slowdown/freeze, not before, not after (after exiting the editor).

The pbedit.log file might be quite large.  But after zipping it up, it should be a manageable size, suitable for posting (or perhaps emailing).

Depending on what your initial pbedit.log shows, we might need to do this exchange -- me sending you customized pbedit.exe, you sending back zipped pbedit.log -- again, and maybe again.

We'll see how it goes.  Good luck.