• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Database Question or confirmation really
07-01-2018, 05:31 PM,
Database Question or confirmation really
I'm possibly dipping my toe in to create some PzB scenarios while I wait for some of the PzC gold versions to be released yet. My concern is over the database. Was it designed to discourage people from editing the values? Changing the values would effect every scenario with those unit names......thus in order to use your own values for equipment in one scenario you design, a whole new equipment list with different names would have to be produced yes? And I'd need to provide the unit.dat for each nation altered in such a manner, yes?

Am I missing something?

I feel like i'm already starting to the miss the PzC editor :P

Atheory
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2018, 09:41 PM,
RE: Database Question or confirmation really
I never try do it in PzB BUT i did a test in EAW serie and is possible edit unit values without destroy the vainilla scens... i open now a PzB Normandy scen is is the same style, is possible do it.

You need create a copy of the OOB, name it with a different name (to use it without kill the vainilla OOB) and to made scens use that OOB or PDT file simple create a copy of the scen file, name it with a different name, open the renamed file with a test editor (i use notepad++) and in the supeior part you are going to see this.

PBN_Orne_sub.map
PBNormandy.oob
PBNormandy.pdt

If you create a copy of OOB called PBNormandy_ALT.oob and PBNormandy_ALT.pdt use this names instead the original one and save the scen using "save as" with a diferent name.

This only works to made the same scen with same units BUT with different units values (attack, defense, foot, armored...)
07-01-2018, 09:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2018, 09:56 PM by Strela.)
(07-01-2018, 05:31 PM)Ocito80 Wrote: I'm possibly dipping my toe in to create some PzB scenarios while I wait for some of the PzC gold versions to be released yet. My concern is over the database. Was it designed to discourage people from editing the values? Changing the values would effect every scenario with those unit names......thus in order to use your own values for equipment in one scenario you design, a whole new equipment list with different names would have to be produced yes? And I'd need to provide the unit.dat for each nation altered in such a manner, yes?

Am I missing something?

I feel like i'm already starting to the miss the PzC editor :P

Atheory

Yes, you're right.

The data editor is what you're referring too and changing any values will impact all units in the game that use the same name.

You're right the only way to do it is to use new component names. That then breaks artwork and a myriad of other things.

The data structure in PzB is NOT the same as PzC though Xaver suggestions assume it is.

The only other way is to back up your unit.dat files in each nationality and replace the values with your desired values.

Essentially the game is not setup to allow simple modding of unit values.

David
07-01-2018, 10:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2018, 10:22 PM by Xaver.)
Ummm, for what i see opening units.dat with a text editor you have here predefined values for a specific class, i refer you have in units.dat the values for... lets see a Panther tank or a type of infantry unit, if you want edit the hardware stats you need do it in units.dat and do this overdrive the vainilla file because i dont find how and where made in a scen you use a diferent units.dat file.

The only thing editable in PzB OOB is the unit quality and name... is totally diferent to PzC even when i remember see units.dat files in PzC... but looks unused... maybe because PzC editor was changed and improved to edit all unit info in the editor without need touch units.dat???

Maybe PzB OOB editor needs be stronger ala PzC OR maybe made units.dat an editable value in .scen files like PDT, OOB and map files, i refer link scen file with units.dat and with this you can create you own units.dat and in a scen copy made it use the edited units.dat
07-01-2018, 10:35 PM,
@Strela, thanks for the response.

@Xaver, you can edit the unit values through the pbdata application. Or you can continue to edit the unit.dat file as well.

I like the pbdata application for managing/changing unit values, but its overall use is not very modder friendly. It's like a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing. :)
07-01-2018, 10:51 PM,
Pbdata adjusts the units.dat file. In PzC, all values were held in the OOB. That’s not the case in PzB, where it’s just the component name on the OOB, which is then tied to the units.dat

David
07-01-2018, 11:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2018, 11:04 PM by Ocito80.)
I'll throw this out there as well, instead of creating a new thread.

I understand, especially from my experience with editing units in PzC, unit images can be tricky when changing names. Now, I know the pbdata links the unit to an image. Why not add a second layer and create a "master" for a an image. Thereby if someone were to create a new unit or change the name of one already established, they could have the option of what "master" image to use.

example

Master image (set by JTS)
PzG 44 (mot) = default image

and if user wants to use their own naming schemes like
44PzG (mot) = they can link it to master "PzG 44 (mot)" image
or
PzG (mot) = again, they can link it to master "PzG 44 (mot)" image
etc.etc.

just a thought for future consideration, might help prevent the fuss over providing new images just for renaming a unit a different way.