• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Best" custom scenarios?
06-12-2018, 02:24 AM,
"Best" custom scenarios?
Gents,

We are *slowly* working on updates for this series...likely won't be out till 2019 however. Anyway, inspired by the "Gold" treatment WDS is giving the Panzer Campaigns Series I'd like to do something similar for the EAW games. So wanted to see if there were any custom scenarios people play that are really solid and would be candidates for inclusion in the official updates?

Thanks,
Rich
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2018, 06:18 PM,
RE: "Best" custom scenarios?
Great news, we need wait one year or more but finally EAW is going to enter in XXI century  Big Grin

Problem i see is that MAW is going to be the title with less new scens, FIW-1776-1812 have a solid base of custom scens, historical, variants/what ifs even covering other wars (if i dont remember bad 1776 has a full mod covering a battle between prusians and austrians... and a 2nd version was removed from download by Tiller petition years ago)... until i know MAW has 0 custom scens.

In general put the serie at ACW standard is a good notice specially when are titles laking the  zoom using mouse wheel, EAW engine is very outdated  Whistle

A little question, in 3D unit art you are going to use the ACW aproximation or the nap one??? i find nap units better, they are less detailed but soldiers are smaller and dont cover a lot space in hex, in the images i see from last ACW update soldiers have "to much leg" Big Grin2

Expect you have good luck updating the serie, i allways find it interesting specially the engine that for me could be used to cover other XIX century wars... EAW only lacks South America wars of liberation to be finished before jump to other periods and is not like the century lacks wars to cover.
06-13-2018, 08:07 AM,
(06-12-2018, 06:18 PM)Xaver Wrote: Great news, we need wait one year or more but finally EAW is going to enter in XXI century  Big Grin

Problem i see is that MAW is going to be the title with less new scens, FIW-1776-1812 have a solid base of custom scens, historical, variants/what ifs even covering other wars (if i dont remember bad 1776 has a full mod covering a battle between prusians and austrians... and a 2nd version was removed from download by Tiller petition years ago)... until i know MAW has 0 custom scens.

In general put the serie at ACW standard is a good notice specially when are titles laking the  zoom using mouse wheel, EAW engine is very outdated  Whistle

A little question, in 3D unit art you are going to use the ACW aproximation or the nap one??? i find nap units better, they are less detailed but soldiers are smaller and dont cover a lot space in hex, in the images i see from last ACW update soldiers have "to much leg" Big Grin2

Expect you have good luck updating the serie, i allways find it interesting specially the engine that for me could be used to cover other XIX century wars... EAW only lacks South America wars of liberation to be finished before jump to other periods and is not like the century lacks wars to cover.

I don't know that that really is a problem (MAW); if an update were to encourage revisiting the title.

At this point, I expect to be involved in this project -as I am others, and at this point I don't know if it would be best to add in scenarios from topics outside the topic of the particular title. For example I think there was a scenario for Culloden, there were some for the Zulu wars - I don't know that those are better as a mod; similar to the Spanish Civil War PzC title that is out there.  That way specific graphics can be created for those; however I don't think that JTS is going to go so far as to create graphics for custom topics.   Who knows, though, it is still early. There are other things in the queue ahead of the EAW project ...

3D -you know ideally it would be all new - but way too early to talk about that; so no specifics I can offer - apologies, sir. :)

The update is not going to be about creating new custom topics like South American Wars of Revolution, that isn't a 'no , it will never happen...' but rather I don't think that would be part of the updating process. I know that I won't be doing it, myself.

Zoom - definitely, that should be a fairly easy add to get done. The graphics will be re-done. Too early to talk about other stuff (other things in process before EAW gets to the point of being directly worked on) - it is on the horizon is what this means.
Send this user an email
06-13-2018, 05:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-13-2018, 05:46 PM by Xaver.)
Well, with MAW if you want expand the scen base you lack custom scens to start unlike 1776 and Indian French war (even 1812 has a good set of added scens to).

Maybe here with MAW is possible do like in.... Arab-Israel wars where you have variants of scens but with arabs seeing their quality raised one level, this could be interesting to see what can do mexican units with less D-E-F units (i never try create a duplicate OOB where only change quality and try apply it in a diferent scen file... i refer editing the file to change the name of the OOB used, opening the scen file with notepad++ show me the name of the map-OOB-pdt used)... or try a new OOB with mexican troops better equiped, same low quality but better armament.

Of course if you want add total new scens is possible do like in last nap titles that offer a good set of "tactical what if scens" non historical but attractive to play (i think in the scen covering the attack to Paris in RBR... if idont remember bad appear in other nap title and was "translated" to RBR period).

I know add scens covering diferent periods is not attractive because this means work in art part only to have 1 or 2 scens more, is easier work with what you have and skip that extra work, i dont see problem here, even when the Prusian, Scots, Zulu scens are attractive i prefer here a full title covering them... maybe a far future serie, who knows.

If i talk about South American "guerras de liberación" is because for me EAW only lacks them to close the serie and a title covering them is attractive for me, saddly i know that is not going to be a very comercial title because no USA presence...unlike a 1898 war title but i doubt it could be considered "early" (only title where i play them and other "strange" wars like 1898, Prusia VS Austria-Denmark or Carlistas Wars was in "Age of Rfiles"... even i remember scens covering "Conquistadores" period).

I know very well Jarama mod for PzC, years ago i "Volcanize" it reworking the OOB to put it at McNamara standar (+ some art improvement thanks to Jison help) and for me is more a separate title... even if be possible update it could work as demo like Mius43.

But as you say all this plans for EAW are in very early stage, i imagine you have now the idea of push serie to new JTS standards and well, maybe in some months you can start to define what do with serie outside update engine.

Expect you have good luck in your work because i allways find the serie/engine offer good options to expand Tiller catalog in the XIX century.
06-13-2018, 08:56 PM,
Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily talking about creating new scenarios but including ones that are already out there... and the 2D zoom option would be added for sure. We'll see what actually rolls in - but I can say we are not going to cover any new topics in this update process. Too much else to be done...
06-13-2018, 09:10 PM,
I understand you, EAW engine is very outdated and put it at today standard in relation with other series is going to be a serious work and as extra you need work a lot in art part because every title needs his own art and as bonus MAW needs diferent map graphics in 2D and 3D compared with FIW/1776/1812 but here i allways find MAW the title with best stock graphics in all JTS games i have (only thing i mod was counters and use Volcanoman NATO symbols for units).

Take your time, and keep pushing PzB3 to release date, not only revive series hehehe.
06-13-2018, 10:26 PM,
Exciting news...EAW is by far my favorite series from JTS, the amount of history covered in the 4 titles is staggering .
Animo Et Fide
06-13-2018, 10:33 PM,
(06-13-2018, 09:10 PM)Xaver Wrote: ... and keep pushing PzB3 to release date, not only revive series hehehe.

This project is not tied to WDS' work on PzB3... other stuff is in the queue ahead of EAW  (the SB project, for one), but more than that too.
Send this user an email
06-14-2018, 05:32 AM,
Glad to hear this! Huzzah! Band
06-14-2018, 05:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-14-2018, 06:20 PM by Xaver.)
Nice, i was a little worriied to see extra delay in PzB3, the process to put PzC-ACW and now SB-EAW could affect PzB, i want see EAW updated but at same time i want see PzB continue moving forward.

Yesterday i have time and do a test (not a big one) and is possible duplicate an OOB file, change unit stats (i only improve from D to C the quality in a mexican battalion) and over a duplicate scen file made it uses the edited OOB file... i think is a good option for EAW titles play a little with this to offer extra scens with improvements in one of the sides (quality, unit size, equipment...) to increase the challenge, in MAW for example the presence of E-F units is not estrange for mexicans and i remember see AARs for 1776 and 1812 with low quality units to.

But anyway this is something we are going to see in future, 2019 with a lot luck.