• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wish List!
07-21-2018, 11:07 PM,
RE: Wish List!
Having worked with John Tiller Software for 19 years now the question about the map editor has arisen in the past many many times. What has been stated about the club games here is true in the other ladders and other clubs too: of all of the scenarios put out just a fraction of them have been played. Even in the old Panzer Campaigns Club we had not even scratched the surface of the inventory of scenarios to play and that club really loved the PzC series a lot.

When folks have developed maps using a backdoor approach the maps were not terribly accurate. I can remember some of the Napoleonic maps developed years and years ago. The scenarios made for them were rarely played - usually by the same group that made the maps.

When errors were found in some of maps for Leipzig and a fellow volunteered to help correct them I was given approval to bring him on board. He fixed the maps and now is helping me with maps for a new title I am developing in that series.

I guess it also goes without saying that there is some concern that if someone were to put out an accurate set of maps for a title yet unpublished BUT in development that it could harm the sales. Thus if some ambitious group were to produce an accurate set of maps for a Mod and it catch on then the work done by the design team would in some way have been compromised. Sales could fall as a result.

My experience has been that anyone willing to help with map work only has to ask and usually they can get on board in some capacity. But in the long run of these games series that John has done - the maps that were done by Mods (such as the ASL boards for the Squad Battles series) were not used anywhere near as much as the ones produced by the folks that worked on the final product.
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2018, 05:37 AM,
RE: Wish List!
(07-21-2018, 12:00 AM)bwv Wrote: I wish the fog of war number of men would read something like '3xx' or 'xx' with an appropriate level of uncertainty, as it stands you can see if an opposing unit has tens or hundreds of men, but some of the scenarios have 900 men units intermixed with 100 men units.  Similarly, it should be apparent under fog of war if an opposing unit has 10-20 tanks or 80-90, so maybe '3x' or 'x'  with 20% margin of error

This is possible as we have it in other series. We just need to decide whether it makes sense at this scale. Would a full battalion number (say 8XX) really be seen when defending in a town for example? That said in Panzer battles we only put the '8XX' when the unit was in the clear. Otherwise it was always XXX.

David
Quote this message in a reply