• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gold Series
05-30-2018, 01:49 PM,
Gold Series
Hello...

I'm probable going to get 'blasted' for this. I've downloaded the Gold Series.

Went off without a problem and the sites assistance was great. I like the additional
'map-view'. It would be nice to be able to incorporate it into the 'older' games.

Here is the thing. I've played some scenario's and I don't see the 'new' features.
'Attacking' seems to be the same. 'Assaulting' seems to be the same, as does
artillery and air attacks. I asked at another site and got a not to descriptive response.
So, are there 'changes' and if so is there a site / thread that specifically addresses this?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Dennis   Jester
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2018, 04:02 PM,
RE: Gold Series
(05-30-2018, 01:49 PM)dgk196 Wrote: Hello...

Went off without a problem and the sites assistance was great. I like the additional
'map-view'. It would be nice to be able to incorporate it into the 'older' games.

Here is the thing. I've played some scenario's and I don't see the 'new' features.
artillery and air attacks. I asked at another site and got a not to descriptive response.
So, are there 'changes' and if so is there a site / thread that specifically addresses this?

Dennis   Jester

All the details are in the changes.txt files in the release.  Below you can see the changes in Budapest '45 Gold for example;

Changes for Budapest '45 Version 2.01 Gold

- First Gold release
    - Units no longer have their movement points halved when disrupted during day.
      At night disrupted units are reduced to two thirds movement.
    - A 'Place All Reinforcements' function has been added.
    - New 'modern icon' toolbar. This is a permanent change for the moment.
    - Unit stacking on board adjusted to take into account the larger unit counters.
    - All new in-game sounds
    - Revised and slimmed down the 2D terrain slopes to show elevations.
    - New and revised Unit box graphics based off Panzer Battles.
    - New and revised terrain graphics for all ground states.
      A clean version without the subtle hexside and lighter centre is included under
      the \Map\No Hex Outline directory. These can be copied into the map directory,
      overwriting the originals. Copying the files from \Map\Hex Outline will restore the defaults
    - New and revised hex features/hex side graphics.
    - All Volcano Man ALT Scenarios, OOB's & PDT's included

Please note that these updates are predominantly graphics and inclusion of many scenarios that had been published over the years but never consolidated for the whole community.

The only game play changes are the first couple of items listed above to do with movement while disrupted. Everything else has been left as is.

We can't change too much on issued games as we may break many of the scenarios and we definitely don't have time to go back and check/play balance them. We never proposed to do wholesale recoding of the games routines.

Hope that clarifies?

David
05-31-2018, 02:18 AM,
(05-30-2018, 04:02 PM)Strela Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 01:49 PM)dgk196 Wrote: Hello...

Dennis   Jester

All the details are in the changes.txt files in the release.  Below you can see the changes in Budapest '45 Gold for example;

Changes for Budapest '45 Version 2.01 Gold

- First Gold release
    - Units no longer have their movement points halved when disrupted during day.
      At night disrupted units are reduced to two thirds movement.
    - A 'Place All Reinforcements' function has been added.
    - New 'modern icon' toolbar. This is a permanent change for the moment.
    - Unit stacking on board adjusted to take into account the larger unit counters.
    - All new in-game sounds
    - Revised and slimmed down the 2D terrain slopes to show elevations.
    - New and revised Unit box graphics based off Panzer Battles.
    - New and revised terrain graphics for all ground states.
      A clean version without the subtle hexside and lighter centre is included under
      the \Map\No Hex Outline directory. These can be copied into the map directory,
      overwriting the originals. Copying the files from \Map\Hex Outline will restore the defaults
    - New and revised hex features/hex side graphics.
    - All Volcano Man ALT Scenarios, OOB's & PDT's included

Please note that these updates are predominantly graphics and inclusion of many scenarios that had been published over the years but never consolidated for the whole community.

The only game play changes are the first couple of items listed above to do with movement while disrupted. Everything else has been left as is.

We can't change too much on issued games as we may break many of the scenarios and we definitely don't have time to go back and check/play balance them. We never proposed to do wholesale recoding of the games routines.

Hope that clarifies?

David
05-31-2018, 02:23 AM,
Hello...

Thanks for the rapid response. It seems that I was a little confused about the updates to the Gold Series. So, since the 'changes' where mostly graphics (they look great), I overlooked some of the features of the update. So, sounds like you might be looking to do a major update? Time for a 'wish list'?

Dennis
06-01-2018, 02:05 AM,
(05-31-2018, 02:23 AM)dgk196 Wrote: So, sounds like you might be looking to do a major update? Time for a 'wish list'?

Hi Dennis, 

I don't see where you get this impression from? Also I'm wondering why there should be a major update? The Gold versions look amazing and the system is great as it is in my opinion. One of the strenghts of the system is that ones you know how to play, you can play hundreds of scenario's in more than 20 different games/modules. 

I think it is very important to keep the rules the same for all games. If you should change a rule all scenario's should be reviewed to check impact on balance. This is just impossible to do for all games at once and would probably do more harm than good.

Just my thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Pieter
06-01-2018, 04:03 AM,
No major update planned, the Gold makeover has added fresh graphics, some new game features and tidied up the scenarios by adding to the stock scenario list the various popular scenarios that were located in different places on the net (i.e. Volcano Man's _Alt scenarios).

All in all a much better game package and at no extra cost for existing game owners.  Big Grin
06-01-2018, 06:46 PM,
Hello...

Well, I guess becauses they limited functional changes to movement rates. But mentioned that they couldn't make to many changes for fear of breaking things. So, this means that at some level they had to either look into such things for such a determination to have been made. So, I just thought it wouldn't make much sense to do that unless you had some changes in mind.

I too think that the series is great, I own all but one title, which will be corrected soonest. But, just off the top of my head, for example, I can think of two aspects of the series that really need some improvement. Air Power and Artillery. What do you think? Changes here would make for some interesting scenario options.

I look forward to replies.

Dennis
06-03-2018, 10:09 PM,
hi

can a player without gold updates play a game with a gold player? Smile
Thanks mike
smurf309
06-04-2018, 01:35 PM,
(06-03-2018, 10:09 PM)smurf309 Wrote: hi

can a player without gold updates play a game with a gold player? Smile
Thanks mike
smurf309

There would be issues with different functionality, such as the change to disruption movement, and the map involved, etc. So I would say no you can't play across versions.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]