• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

083 Malsch obj error_
04-15-2018, 07:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2018, 07:27 PM by phoenix.)
083 Malsch obj error_
Note for Bill. In 083 Malsch there's talk in the briefing of 'northern objectives', but none on the map. Is this as planned?

Peter
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2018, 06:51 AM,
RE: 083 Malsch obj error_
I removed the objectives after playtesting the scenario. Now I think that I probably need to add them back in. Something for the first update. Thanks.
04-16-2018, 05:05 PM,
Actually, I'm playing it now, H2H, Bill, and I think you're right - you don't need them and it is already very difficult for the French, without having to go even further up the map. I think your playtesting was right.

Generally, it's a great title, Bill, very impressive. Loads of material, great battles, fantastic maps. Best maps you've done, I think. I've played 3 H2h now and they were all great fun. Of those 3, Amberg seemed (to me) very hard as the French and I ended up quitting before half way. I'm not very good, of course. I made the mistake, perhaps, of trying to defend the outer objectives instead of pulling back and finding a good defensive position (on the hills, probably). But this is no doubt how you planned it should be, and historical.

Great game. Hats off to you.
04-22-2018, 02:55 AM,
Maybe this north objective could force the Austrians to divide their troops ?

BTW I have much fun to play this one :)
04-22-2018, 11:27 AM,
(04-16-2018, 05:05 PM)phoenix Wrote: Actually, I'm playing it now, H2H, Bill, and I think you're right - you don't need them and it is already very difficult for the French, without having to go even further up the map. I think your playtesting was right.

Generally, it's a great title, Bill, very impressive. Loads of material, great battles, fantastic maps. Best maps you've done, I think. I've played 3 H2h now and they were all great fun.  Of those 3, Amberg seemed (to me) very hard as the French and I ended up quitting before half way. I'm not very good, of course. I made the mistake, perhaps, of trying to defend the outer objectives instead of pulling back and finding a good defensive position (on the hills, probably). But this is no doubt how you planned it should be, and historical.

I was wiped out as the Austrians in playtesting. As usual my formed infantry routed leaving the cavalry to try and hold the French - which of course wasnt going to happen.

The historical battle was really at Malsch. The Austrians were able to do what I could not but events to the east caused Charles to pull out. A better Austrian player than I is required! :)
04-22-2018, 11:32 AM,
(04-16-2018, 05:05 PM)phoenix Wrote: Actually, I'm playing it now, H2H, Bill, and I think you're right - you don't need them and it is already very difficult for the French, without having to go even further up the map. I think your playtesting was right.

Generally, it's a great title, Bill, very impressive. Loads of material, great battles, fantastic maps. Best maps you've done, I think. I've played 3 H2h now and they were all great fun.  Of those 3, Amberg seemed (to me) very hard as the French and I ended up quitting before half way. I'm not very good, of course. I made the mistake, perhaps, of trying to defend the outer objectives instead of pulling back and finding a good defensive position (on the hills, probably). But this is no doubt how you planned it should be, and historical.

The Fleurus map  and the rest for Belgium and also the Tournay and Tourcoing maps (partly in Belgium) were by far the hardest I have put together yet.

In RBR there are no less than THREE distinct map making styles.

I began adding in a lot more fields since the Marengo game. Both RBR and Marengo have the best maps I have done so far.
04-22-2018, 11:34 AM,
(04-22-2018, 02:55 AM)LFDLM Wrote: Maybe this north objective could force the Austrians to divide their troops ?

BTW I have much fun to play this one :)

Not sure ... then I guess it becomes more of a delaying action in the south ... and maybe that would work better but folks are saying that the French have a hard time as it is. Lets see how this plays out before I decide to add in any new objectives but surely there should be something in the north. Either that or I will remove the text.
04-23-2018, 12:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2018, 12:24 AM by phoenix.)
Actually, I think LFDLM is right, Bill, and will change my mind again.

I just finished it as French and of course, I'm useless (that must always be pointed out), but what I did (against a human opponent) was concentrate all my forces to take Malsch, screened my left flank with my cavalry, then took it. It was easy to take, BUT, extremely costly, because by the time I concentrated enough force all the Austrians had camped out in Malsch. Hence, assaulting the guns cost far too much.

At end I held all the objectives and had plenty force to spare to take a further northern objective, but there wasn't one - hence I suffered a major loss because of the high casualties. I was 200 points short of a draw, and if there had been a 200 point objective further north I could have had it. It seemed wrong to hold all 3 objectives at end, with plenty force to spare, yet to lose on casualty points.

Of course, a better player might have been able to take Malsch without such casualties, maybe. Or not wait to concentrate before attacking. But I feel I played it historically - went for the objectives - won them and couldn't even get a draw. If there had been a high value objective further north I would have managed a draw. Something to consider.

None of this mattered for the game, in any event - wins or losses. It was a great scenario. Nice size and played out beautifully.
04-23-2018, 01:19 AM,
I am going to add objectives. That should allow the French an opportunity to win. As the Austrians I lost too many units trying to hold Malsch. My mistake was thinking that the village would slow up the French. As usual my infantry disordered and my cavalry was useless in a village fight of course.