• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Release of Republican Bayonets on the Rhine (RBR)
03-24-2018, 08:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2018, 09:26 AM by Compass Rose.)
Release of Republican Bayonets on the Rhine (RBR)
[Image: RBR_Cover.jpg]

Republican Bayonets on the Rhine has been released by John Tiller Software. Find the product page here:

http://johntillersoftware.com/Napoleonic...onets.html

I know you guys will enjoy the game!
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2018, 07:40 PM,
RE: Release of Republican Bayonets on the Rhine (RBR)
And a great addition to the series it is too!!!
03-24-2018, 09:39 PM,
Great, nothing like leave bed and find a pair of good notices... release of RBR and hot info about PzB3 (well i need start calling it Panzer battles North Africa 1941 hehehe).

The title looks great, even better than Marengo to start in the serie, i think this is the best title to enter in Nap serie because is very complete and battles are in a good size range.

I like it and if i dont remember bad we can expect a few more battles for Holland campaign... maybe enough to have the full campaign???

Good job, i like title a lot   Cheers3

I did my fast customization work and game looks much better... but i think is time to give nap series a new 2D-3D look, true that 3D units are reworked time ago but in this area serie is still very weak with the use of original counters that are to small and with even smaller icons inside.

[Image: QTpppKc.jpg]
[Image: Sj9AHUz.jpg]

A little question, the Dutch-loyalist troops (violet counters) appear in minimap in violet or on this colour??? because i mod before see them and i dont know if i break something  Whistle

[Image: 91YUM2R.jpg]
03-25-2018, 01:02 AM,
Xaver - addressing your questions:

1. Artwork - not for me to say why the 2D artwork is still from the early days of the game. Contact Support about this. Maybe if enough people do it might get a "facelift" like the 2D terrain has. No one will ever be happy. Notice that we have plenty of "MODS" out there. Folks dont use just ONE mod. They pick and choose because people are picky about presentation and have a right to be. But the companies out there cannot satisfy people in this regard. Artwork is not what I do. Ask me questions about the content I worked on please in the future. I will be ignoring comments about artwork questions like this in the future.

2. Battles - this is it. You just got 28 battles. Talonsoft gave you a lovely map but ONE to TWO battles at most. We give you the moon! :) When you have exhausted what we just produced then pull out the Scenario Editor and put together a "2nd Bergen" or pull out the Campaign Editor and put together "The 1799 Noord-Holland Campaign."

Frankly after putting out such a game I find it hard for anyone to ask me something like that. These games take years off of me. I have one more to do (CEF) and if the 1815 project never gets done and I sell used cars .. well I might be satisfied to be honest. Give me a reason to want to continue producing the games. Not reasons why the one we just released lacks something ;) It does of course - there are battles (small to medium sized) that I passed on because I had insufficient data OR the battle was lopsided. 2nd Altenkirchen for instance or 1st Biberach both in 1796. Both were deemed not necessary and I had no battle layout for the first one. Others from 1796 and the campaign in the Low Countries too.

On the Royalist troops. Here is how you will see them presented:

1. I have two scenarios (both Bonus) where the Royalists counter color is used. "Save the King" and "Island Warfare." Other than the design review scenarios (at the end of the list) using them they were not used in the rest of the game.

2. The other scenarios used small amounts of Royalists and to help them recover from Disorder I have them using the predominant NATION counter color. So if its the Conde army fighting with Russia then they use the green color of the RUSSIAN NATION - if they are fighting with the Austrians then the light grey counter color of the AUSTRIAN NATION. The army of the Dutch Republic had royalist units which were a part of their army. Its not like the Army of Bourbon or Conde. These units were not under a commander like the Dukes. They were integrated into the brigades. Since we dont have the Spanish in the game (oh oh .. more complaints coming LOL) I thought it would be good to use their counters and change them to a Royalist type of color. Folks are welcome to create a copy of an existing OB, split off the Royalist units and put them in a "Royalist" NATION group in the OB file. Use the Islands.oob file as an example.

Ok - enough on the negatives .. its a GREAT game and there is NOTHING like it on the planet. Go read up on the battles in the Battles PDF found in the main folder. Check out the OBs for the battle in the OB Compendium also found in the main folder. Both are two NEW Bonus documents never seen before in one of our Napoleonic Battles series brought to you by "moi." ;)
03-25-2018, 02:09 AM,
Purchased even before the announcement hit my inbox. Looks to be a fantastic game, and one of my favorite periods. Great job and thanks for the hard work!
03-25-2018, 04:10 AM,
Your most welcome. I know you will enjoy the game! :)
03-25-2018, 04:21 AM,
(03-25-2018, 02:09 AM)panzerde Wrote: Purchased even before the announcement hit my inbox. Looks to be a fantastic game, and one of my favorite periods. Great job and thanks for the hard work!

Was not quite that quick but almost. This a really great game. Really impressed with the level of detail. Started playing the early campaign using PBEM. Thanks very much.

On the related reading matter front I would recommend;

1.The Art of War of Revolutionary France, 1789-1802 by Paddy Griffith,  published by Greenhill books.
2.French Revolutionary Wars 1787 to 1802, by Dr T. C. W. Blanning, published by Hodder Education.
3.European Armies of the French Revolution, 1789-1802, Editor)  Frederick C Schneid, published by University of Oklahoma Press.

Thanks very much again
Ian
03-25-2018, 06:20 AM,
Sorry if you understand me bad, i like a lot your job, specially to be a single man doing the orchestraman role releasing titles very fast and very complete.

In art part i know is not your "area", simple is a comment about that in other wargames forum in the HPS-Tiller area everytime appear a new title the joke is art and if something change even when last years area was improved a lot but saddly not in all series, for me is strange in art why using Nap-ACW-EAW-REN same art aproximation in 2D is hard update at least counters and their art for all series, for example i use the excellent Volcanoman NATO mod in all this series... not the first time i send a "suggestion" to update them... at least looks like ACW is testing a more than very wellcome change with options to be ported to other series.

In the scens... maybe i understand it bad, i think that the Holland campaign is not completed for release and after it could appear new scens when new info be avaliable... looks like the 2 Holland scens were the scens waiting the new info, my faul, is not like title be "nude", oposite, a lot of good middle range battles set in diferent periods with diferent armies...  even the chance to catch a King Dance and reduce his height only a little  Propeller Hat

The colour for royalist-dutch troops is that i mod before test all scens and i dont know well if original minimap colour for them is that colour or not, nothing more.

Talking about Spain... well, allways is the hope of see it appearing by surprise because...

[Image: nobody-everexpects-the-spanish-inquisiti...388968.png]
and the 2nd part of Peninsular war title  Big Grin2

Today was a good day, start with RBR and in the middle more info about PzB3  Popcorn 2

Sorry if you understand me bad, not my intention.
03-25-2018, 07:18 AM,
I thought of working on 2nd Bergen (or Alkmaar if you prefer) but it just seemed like a roll over. You have almost all of the Anglo-Russo army there aside from a small contingent that watched the left flank. The French-Batavian forces wouldn't stand a chance. The earlier landing would make a nice company level situation. The battle that came right after that can be covered but for now I just don't have the time. I put enough in the game to give the players a good appreciation for the campaigns and battles of this period of the French Revolutionary Wars (or Wars of Coalition if you prefer). Anything after this would be if I have time OR if someone else wants to work with me and produce it for a later update.

Just figure that I added in the battles that I had a. OB data b. setup info c. were fairly balanced or could have a variant that balanced out the sides.

For the French-Batavians there just was no way to balance the sides at 2nd Bergen/Alkmaar. However, I suppose if you add in the French forces that arrived later for Castricum it would be possible just not very historical.

You wont find a military atlas that covers these battles in this detail (Situation Maps and Battle maps). One of my goals is to produce a five volume set of military atlases for the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars. Each atlas would go for 10 USD and be available on Kindle and possibly paperback. There is always the older Napoleonic atlas by Esposito and Elting and two atlases on the Peninsular War (two different works). Try finding a good atlas on the French Revolutionary wars! The maps usually are vague.

Special mention to Paul Synnott who helped with the translation of Picard's work on the 1800 campaign. He helped me work on the 2nd Battle of Biberach. Otherwise it never would have been included.

Be sure to check out the RBR_The Battle of Tourcoing.pdf document. It includes detailed times on the movements of the troops prior to and during the battle.
03-25-2018, 07:27 AM,
(03-25-2018, 07:18 AM)Sgt_Rock Wrote: You wont find a military atlas that covers these battles in this detail (Situation Maps and Battle maps). One of my goals is to produce a five volume set of military atlases for the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars. Each atlas would go for 10 USD and be available on Kindle and possibly paperback. There is always the older Napoleonic atlas by Esposito and Elting and two atlases on the Peninsular War (two different works). Try finding a good atlas on the French Revolutionary wars! The maps usually are vague.
Bought if you do a PDF version, the ebooks I had in .epub till now had so bad graphics that they were useless.

(03-25-2018, 07:18 AM)Sgt_Rock Wrote: Special mention to Paul Synnott who helped with the translation of Picard's work on the 1800 campaign. He helped me work on the 2nd Battle of Biberach. Otherwise it never would have been included.
Shows how important a good team is.