• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: Op_Uranus_Stalingrad42 (nov19-dec23)
02-26-2018, 06:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2018, 05:04 AM by Ocito80.)
Atheory's Project: Op_Uranus_Stalingrad42 (nov19-dec23)
Enclosed is my variant of Operation Uranus and the subsequent Chir River Battles and Winter Storm (Nov19 to Dec23). The scenario is ready for testing and is designed for HTH.

The Chir-River battles, and what are they? By November 23rd, the 6th Army was encircled as Russian forces linked up at Kalach occupying both sides of the Don River. The Chir river lay just to the south and was host to numerous engagements as the Russian Army pressed south hoping to cut off more Axis troops on the steppe and in the Caucasus. Ad-hoc formations were raised from anything local officers could find or confiscate. Actual movie films were setup at choke points where men gathered, only to be a ploy by officers who in turn placed those men into fighting units. These men would fight not knowing a thing about the man next to him. Fuel points were setup that attracted vehicles only be conscripted to help support these new units. These Alarm Battalions would also be shipped in from all major depot areas nearby, from Kharkov down to Rostov and everywhere in between.

It is difficult to fully set up these units, given the fluidity in which these small units came and went. I focused on mostly Alarm-Battalions brought in the from the outside and organized them into a few well distinguished HQ units. I tried to avoid creating ad-hoc units that used soldiers withdrawing from the areas of the initial Russian Offensive, and I did not create KG units that also incorporated units already established on the map.

These ad-hoc units would hold the river line, which would become the front line, buying time until regular army divisions arrived, and helped to free up what forces could be spared for Winter Storm. Part of the goal was to utilize more of the map, to create tension elsewhere than just at Stalingrad. And since everything is still historically sound, why not.

As usual, I’m always looking for the most concrete historical information I can find. And since I do not have all the resources known to man, my door is always open to corrections and new tid-bits of information.

Some Notes:

1)      One of the aspects I looked paid closer attention to was that of division strength. The Sixth Army, even on November 19, was really a shell of itself. The divisions in Stalingrad itself were barely combat worthy. So depleted was available manpower that their last offensive to capture Stalingrad (Nov 12-18?) was spearheaded by groups of Engineer units gathered near and from afar. By November 18 these engineer units were exhausted and depleted, as well as the remaining infantry used to support them. The soviets fare little better in the demolished city, their only reprieve came with the start of operation Uranus and the diverting of German attention away from the City. Additionally, the Romanians were in not much better shape after months of battles and skirmishes. Only to further hamper themselves by their own insistence on building up an Army Group.

2)      Most are familiar with the reduced strength or over-strength symbol (-) or (--) or (+). I am adjusting how I implement the strength of Russian Rifle divisions. Most rifle divisions will now have a strength based on their divisional strength at the time. While this was manually adjusted in scenarios, often there were no visual cues to indicate it or answer why one unit had a different strength than another. I hope this helps in that regard. It is organized in this pattern:

Rifle Division 1942 (in game infantry reference on the unit card would be Rifle42) Rifle42 assumes the division is at full strength, therefore each battalion will be at full strength. Reduced divisions will have something like Rifle42(10k), Rifle42(8k), Rifle42(6k) etc, signifying the overall strength in men the division had at the time, and its battalions reduced accordingly. This structure is being implemented in all of my EF scenarios.

3)      Some unit adjustments and additions:

KG Simon: Applicable units added to scenario in area near 1st Romanian Arm-Div.

14th Pz-Div: majority of unit shifted west of the Don River and is in a very depleted state.

Stug-Abt.203: Removed from the scenario as records indicate participation only after Dec23.

1st RO Arm-Div: French tanks removed, replaced with the Pz-35(t)

22 Pz-Div: Many tanks replaced with the Pz-38(t) tanks

Numerous Alarm-Battalions and KG HQ units added. These are not a serious offensive threat.

How the scenario is setup: Victory locations are setup to cover all objectives of the time period. The players must choose the priority locations for their forces and the battle can become fluid.

Victory Locations: currently 47
Russian Major Victory: Occupy 31+ (German Major Defeat)
Russian Minor Victory: Occupy 24+ (German Minor Defeat)
German Major Victory: Occupy 31+ (Russian Major Defeat)
German Minor Vicotry: Occupy 24+ (Russian Minor Defeat)

Scenario Rules
Alternative Indirect Fire Resolution
Alternative Assault Resolution
VST
Plus, any other player preferred realism choices.

Other Notes
1)      Trenches instead of Bunkers along the Romanian front.
2)      Wired Bridges is implemented.

Strategy Notes
Axis
1)      It is difficult for the Axis Player to achieve a major victory by vacating Stalingrad and the surrounding area.
2)      Once Stalingrad is isolated, limited supplies are available through the airfields, be cautious of conducting continual attacks as soon your forces inside the pocket will become low on ammo/fuel.
3)      There are a few inland supply sources. Safeguard these as best you can to keep supplies flowing. Losing these couple hamper operations in those areas.

Soviet
1)      Attacking Stalingrad itself isn’t a priority, victory can be had by simply encircling it, containing those forces and focusing on the Victory Locations along the Don River. However, one should never shy away from opportunities as they present themselves.  
2)      Occupying Axis supply sources that are located at various inland depot areas could potentially hamper their operational abilities, as well as allow you to collect some Victory Locations.
3) Speed is your friend. Deep penetrations early on will determine the flow of the campaign. Isolating Rumanian divisions early on will benefit you later in the scenario before German reinforcements arrive.

Included here are an updated compilation of the unit images needed to view on the unit cards. These can be applied to all my scenarios thus far.

EDITED 2-3-2018
Files are updated and placed on my amazon share drive. People can navigate all my files there and download those of their choosing.
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/...lBNkeMjNEh

Enjoy
Atheory (ocito80)

Attached Files
.zip   Atheory_Uranus_Stalingrad42.zip (Size: 84.52 KB / Downloads: 11)
.zip   Atheory_Images_2-24-18.zip (Size: 4.47 MB / Downloads: 16)
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2018, 06:24 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: Op_Uranus_Stalingrad42 (nov19-dec23)
Interesting changes. There has been a few down loads so maybe you'll get some more feedback. I've never played the campaigns (Alt or normal) but I'll comment on what i see when I compare your campaign to the Alt scenario. (#1119_01a) If anyone does start a multi player game using this scenario I'd be interested in playing in it.

I like the fact that the Divisions in Stalingrad all start with hign fatigue. More realistic. 

Rumanian units have TRENCHES now instead of BUNKERS. Is the to show that they were less ready than the Germans or had less material to dig in better? I see that you have compensated the Rumanians by increasing some of their factors but you've also standardised them as all D Morale. Admittedly only a few were uplifted to C in the Alt scenarios.

Russian infantry has received an uplift in hard factors and are now equivalent to Gds for bunker busting. Of course they won't need this against the Rumanians. <g>

Russian mobile units have been changed significantly I think. McNamara had standardised things so that Guard units were Morale C and non Guard units were D. You have given all mobile units (tank/motorised/cavalry) Morale C. The motorised units of the Tank Brigades are now also shown as separate motorised units and their stats changed to reflect this. I would expect both of these changes to make a significant difference.

There are probably a lot more changes which I haven't picked up. 

I've listed the main units changes. below. Factors after units are - hard attack - soft attack - assault strength - defense strength

#1119_01a_Uranus-Alt.scn                          19 Nov – 19 Dec                306 turns 

German Inf 2 9 12 16      
Rumanian Inf 1 4 10 14    mostly Morale D a few C Divisions
Russian Gds 4 4 9 16        Morale C
Russian Inf 1 5 10 16        Morale D

Russian Tank/Motorised units are Morale D with the Motorised Inf Bn’s shown as ‘tank riders’ and their stats are – 2 18 8 (no hard attack)
Russian Cavalry is Morale C (Gds are D) and stats are 1 5 9 8

Atheory_Uranus_Campaign.scn                               19 Nov – 23 Dec                346 turns

German Inf 2 9 11 16      
Rumanian Inf 2 5 10 16   Morale D
Russian Gds 4 6 12 16      still Morale C
Russian Inf 4 5 11 16        still Morale D

Russian Tank/Motorised units are uplifted to Morale C with the Motorised Inf Bn’s shown as standard motorised units and their stats are 5 6 11 16
Russian Cavalry is also uplifted to Morale C to match Gds and stats are 1 5 9 16
03-02-2018, 01:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2018, 01:59 PM by Ocito80.)
It is interesting to compare and contrast. However, I must stress my goal isn't so much to scale up or down unit values based on other peoples work. My goal is to establish unit values based on formulas I come up that can help me justify, visualize and implement a standard across all nations. Granted, these formulas are a continual work in progress that will be a reflection of data, either previously acquired or obtained in the future. This work will be readily available to view through my working excel sheet that I will continually update and post to my amazon drive share folder (see bottom of post). Older sheets are already available in a couple of my other threads.

I did try not to do too much with established morale ratings of units. I'm no expert on unit efficiency in these battles, so I left most alone unless something popped out at me in my limited research.

The Rumanian morale drop was a test decision, in combination with a more accurate divisional strength of their units, and the removal of bunkers in an effort to add to the precarious nature of their position along the front line. This is somewhat, however limited it may be, augmented by the addition of some anti-tank guns which has generally been previously omitted. Furthermore, the morale drop may help alleviate, to a degree, the use of the ZOC mechanic that could be used to delay faster moving soviet units by slowly withdrawing. That is my rationale anyhow, for now, until a better argument is presented. Perhaps increasing starting fatigue might be a solution going forward as well.

It was perhaps not my intent to elevate soviet mobile formations to a standard of C. I'll have to look at that a bit more. I did restructure soviet tank units different than most have been accustomed to seeing. It is possible, and likely that in my restructuring the morale setting was set by default at C and never changed.

I do distinguish between motorized infantry and tank brigade infantry (or tank riders). You are suggesting this is not the case in the scenario, and for that I will have to delve into it again and make any necessary changes. I must confess, after hours looking and fiddling with an oob, the eyes can begin to get blurry at times :)

I think the transportation mode of tank rider units are hard to model in game, I saw in stock scenarios they were assigned soft half tracks to perhaps mimic this. I switched it to motorized transport for whatever reason was floating in my head at the time. For the life of me I can not think of it at the moment, which tells me it probably wasn't very well thought out to begin with.

On a side note, I am hoping to utilize my amazon drive options to allow for a one stop shop place for the storage and downloading of my scenarios and applicable files.

As always, thanks for the insight
Atheory (ocito80)
03-03-2018, 05:03 AM,
scenario updated with adjustments to infantry of tank brigades and mech brigades per the comments made in previous posts. Updated files can be found on my amazon share drive (link below)