• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: Operation What if Calais 1944
02-05-2018, 07:41 AM,
RE: Atheory's Project: Operation What if Calais 1944
Excellent, I appreciate the explanation.

Cheers
Atheory
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2018, 10:48 PM,
Are you sure you selected Alternative Assault Resolution and not Optional Assault Results?

I don't know what the HA values are for infantry in your intended scenario, but with Alternative Assault Resolution they will only use their HA value when assaulting hard targets. It seems very unlikely assaulting pillboxes is easy with that in place, unless the defenders all have E or F morale and immediately disrupt.

Also: there's no difference between a unit with 8 out of 8 guns and 8 out of 12 guns, as for units not composed of men, no pdt effectiveness modifier is applied aside from unit quality, range modifier , terrain/strongpoint firepower bonus or penalty and elevation so the fire values should be the same.
02-07-2018, 03:12 AM,
@ComradeP

I did select alternative assault resolution, the defenders have a D value for morale.

I did two setups, 3 stacks of 3 units opposite one pillpox with one german unit (half a company, and a Wn unit of 3-4 guns). One with American units and one with British units.

Without disruption, it took between 4-8 assaults to dislodge the germans. With one unit disrupted (by artillery or other indirect measure) it took between 1-4 assaults to dislodge the germans.

The three allied stacks were comprised of the following and only one stack assaulted at a time.

Stack 1
Inf / Inf / Eng

Stack 2
Inf / Eng / Tank

Stack 3
Eng / Tank / Tank

Stack 3 had the highest assault value of the group with almost double the assault value of the germans.
Stack 2 had about 50% more assault value than the germans
Stack 1 had roughly equal the assault value of the germans.

With that said, I did realize I had not changed the allied tank assault values to correspond with the changes made to the German armor. This would indicate why the allied tanks produced a greater assault value than anticipated. This is being worked on. However, it still does not dissuade me from the notion that alternative assault resolution will work just fine, provided the allied player isn't afraid to assault non-disrupted german units if need be.
02-07-2018, 04:25 AM,
If you're using tanks and/or units with high HA value, you're sort of dodging the penalty. My comment was about infantry only assaults. It would be interesting to see if, with alternative assault resolution, assaulting with tanks is a more efficient method when it comes to Disrupting defenders than firing at them.
02-07-2018, 07:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2018, 07:57 AM by Ocito80.)
The values will fall in line with the typical alt scenarios exhibited through Volcanoman's scenarios. I'm not trying to rewrite the book on unit values, even though I'd love too (just the tinkerer in me).