• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Tutorial Problem in Smolensk 41 Gold?
12-21-2017, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 12:29 PM by GerryM.)
Tutorial Problem in Smolensk 41 Gold?
Hello: It could be me but the second unit you move, the 1/39th Panzer, should be able to assault. However message states it does not have enough MP to assault. It has 49T points shown in yellow.

The map looks different to the screenshots in the tutorial (not talking about the colors). Seems like there is a rail line going through the village with the Russians - from the tutorial it looks like that was a Primary Road?
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2017, 11:20 AM,
RE: Tutorial Problem?
What scenario are you looking at?
12-21-2017, 11:44 AM,
HI: It is the one featured in the Tutorial for Smolensk 41 Gold, namely Smolensk Operational Situation
number 3.
12-21-2017, 11:47 AM,
Which hex are you trying to assault? I was able to get to the Russian Recon battalion with enough MPs to assault. Is there a tutorial doc or something you are looking at?
12-21-2017, 11:56 AM,
Oh, I see what you are looking at! I agree with you. You can only get there with enough movement points to assault if you move the 17th Motorcycle Battalion out of the way before you move the 1/39.
12-21-2017, 12:00 PM,
Yes, when you open Smolensk for the first time it opens up a Tutorial pdf.
Russian unit is in (15,1)
The tutorial has the Recon unit get out of travel mode and firing (to illustrate how to fire). So it will not have enough points to assault. Then an airstrike. Then you move the 1/39th and it says to assault. Here is the relevant section:

"Left click on the picture of the 27th Reconnaissance Battalion to select it.
Now click using the right mouse button in each hex in turn along the road leading from the selected hex. As you do, you’ll notice that the selected unit moves to that
hex and that it becomes the new selected hex. Continue moving the 27th Recon Battalion down the road until you encounter the Russian unit in the Village.
When you move adjacent to the Russian unit in the Village, it may fire on you. If so, you will get a Fire Report dialog. You can read the results of the fire and then click on OK. Notice that your recon unit has a white stripe at the bottom of the counter on the map. This indicates that the unit is in Travel Mode, that is, deployed to use Road Movement. Now that you’ve encountered an enemy unit, you should get out of Travel Mode. To do that, make sure the recon unit is selected, and click on the Travel Mode button in the toolbar. This action may also draw fire from the Russian unit in the Village.

Now let’s fight back. With the recon unit selected, hold down the Control key (Ctrl) and right click on the Russian unit. This will cause the recon unit to fire in the Russian unit
and you should then get a Fire Report. Note: if you get an Assault Status report, then you forgot to hold down the Control key. If this happens, reselect the recon unit and
try again.

Let’s also try calling in an Air Strike against the Russian unit. First, left click on the Russian unit. Second, click on the Air Mission button in the toolbar. This will display the Air Mission Dialog. Notice that you have a RECON air unit that you can use for spotting enemy units, and 2 air combat units. Select the second air unit in the list and click on OK. Notice that you first draw some Anti-Aircraft fire from the Russian unit and then your air strike is conducted.

Now let’s see if we can force the Russians out the Village. You’ll notice that the 27th Recon Battalion has its Movement value displayed in Red at this point. This indicates it does not have enough Movement points to assault the Village or do any more firing. So let’s bring up the I/39th Panzer. Go back to the second hex of the German column, click on the stack of two units you see there, and then click on the picture in the Hex Info area to the left of the screen of the I/39th Panzer. Now right click in
each successive hex until you have moved the unit into the same hex as the recon
unit.
Note: since we intend to perform an assault with this unit, leave it in Travel Mode so it has enough Movement Points to perform the assault. Now we’re ready for the assault. With the I/39th Panzer selected, right click on the Russian unit. This will initiate an assault against the Village. Since we are operating under Fog-of-War, you won’t be told what the assault odds are."
12-21-2017, 01:06 PM,
(12-21-2017, 11:56 AM)Fortynslow Wrote: Oh, I see what you are looking at!  I agree with you.  You can only get there with enough movement points to assault if you move the 17th Motorcycle Battalion out of the way before you move the 1/39.

Thanks. We must have posted around the same time so I just saw this. It was more an FYI in case they want to change the tutorial so that it would work for newbies. The tutorial is short and only shows the basics of moving, firing, and assaulting. It mostly shows one turn. 

Thanks for confirming that I was seeing it correctly.