• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wishlist for the next Gold update
12-16-2017, 10:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2017, 10:44 PM by Pepe Botijo.)
My 2 Cents  Wishlist for the next Gold update
1-Hotkeys indicated in the menu or toolbar.
2-If possible MP3 files instead of WAV ones. Size of WAV files is so huge (400 MB out of 484 MB; More than 80% of the game). My sound mod weights around 2 GB. MP3 has the same quality sound and by far much lighter.
3-Area boundaries and labels settings auto-saved on game exit.
4-A longer toolbar for modern wide screens.
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2017, 11:20 PM,
RE: Wishlist for the next Gold update
(12-16-2017, 10:42 PM)Pepe Botijo Wrote: 1-Hotkeys indicated in the menu or toolbar.
2-If possible MP3 files instead of WAV ones. Size of WAV files is so huge (400 MB out of 484 MB; More than 80% of the game). My sound mod weights around 2 GB. MP3 has the same quality sound and by far much lighter.
3-Area boundaries and labels settings auto-saved on game exit.
4-A longer toolbar for modern wide screens.

Hi there,

These are all good requests. Unfortunately, Wargame Design Studio (WDS) don't currently have the bandwidth to update the game exe's the way we did the Panzer Battles & American Civil War engines.

John Tiller provided a little of his very scarce programming time to cover off the couple of things that were at the top of our list to fix and you can see the results of that here.

Things such as WAV files to MP3 (and for that matter BMP to PNG) are big jobs and partly resultant of a code base that was first written back in the '90's. That's not to say these things won't be fixed, just not in the near future and definitely not in the current Gold release cycle.

David

PS - I have no idea what Are boundaries does - any insight appreciated!
12-17-2017, 12:04 AM,
Ok David, thanks for the info.

"Boundaries" are borders that separate different countries (yellow lines marked on hexes sides). It´s common in several PzC titles and FWWC serie.
12-17-2017, 12:07 AM,
I'll add something. One of the most frustrating time consuming things in PzC for me is artillery. I guess I'm a bit too analytical at times and want to get the optimum (optimal?) usage and not waste anything. The artillery dialogue is useful for quickly firing things.......but it doesn't give me the overview of what I want to see sometimes which is which artillery units are in range of my targets. 

I've thought about changes to the artillery dialogue, eg different sorting methods (hex row instead of column?) or by Div/Corps/Army if thats remotely possible?

How about a simpler solution. Allow artillery units to be Highlighted just like Engineers?
12-17-2017, 10:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2017, 10:30 AM by Bioman.)
Give the option to use the old tool bar icons as I don't think the news ones are very easy to use. or at the very least make them bigger so that you can actually read them. Also make the fortification symbols look different. The bunker and trench symbols are exactly alike. In the old version you could easily tell the difference when looking at them by the background color.
12-17-2017, 09:31 PM,
A small thing but it bugs me everytime I use the JumpMap is the coloring of the opponents. One side (in WW2 the axis) is always red regardless if I play them.

I would like to have it depending on the side played, own troops blue and enemy red.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
01-14-2018, 09:40 PM,
Something else that could be considered by the developers.

At the moment you only see the local supply values directly at the start of your turn. If you save and continue later the values are gone.

I have rather little gaming time and therefor have to save and continue later and I would like to always be able see the local supply values. (Somewhere I read that the reason for the not stored values is the size of the savegame but I don't think this is a matter nowadays)
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
01-15-2018, 12:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 01:00 AM by Lowlander.)
I concur that the taskbar icons could be larger with more space between groupings (I.E. advance turn and change travel mode buttons ).

Is there anyway the cursor could be more visible, I'm I missing something here, please tell me now.

During each turn you cycle thro the units from left to right, this is great for advancing West or defending the East as you get to move your frontline troops first.
When attacking East or defending the West the game cycles thro your rear area troops first, is it possible to have the option of a East to West game turn cycle ( I.E. reverse the game turn cycle ) .
Or could we rotate the map which would have the same effect as in older John Tiller games.

As I only play the campaign game some of which are HUGE would it be possible to save the game half way thro at say 123/456, then return later or next day/week and restart turn at this save point 123/456.
At present we have a click fest to arrive where one saved the turn.
01-15-2018, 05:50 AM,
I also prefer the old symbols so I overwrite the new 2D file with the old 2D file so I still have the original counter look.  Wink
01-15-2018, 07:27 AM,
I know people grumble about AI-movement, including myself, in that the current algorithm can take units off the roads and into the fields. Is it possible to implement a transport only on road function? If units in RR mode can only move along rail tracks, could something similar be applied to road movement?

I know for me, improving this feature in game would make games like France'40 far more enjoyable.