• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Trapping the eagle
12-10-2017, 08:46 AM,
Trapping the eagle
I thought this was too good to pass up.  I had trapped the units in red, 1st, 7th, 20th and 22nd pz and the 707th static infantry, along with the Das Reich SS PzGr Div (captured in this screen shot).  The next turn the Germans launch a large counter attack (yellow units) to free their cut off units, ignoring the huge armies I have on the flanks.  When I first looked at the turn I was worried, but then I saw what a great opportunity I have.  Stripping my flanks I formed a wall around the attacking units and have added them to the bag.  At this point I am only worried about the two hexes in blue, but if they can survive one turn they will be fattened up and the trap will be closed.

This would be a huge bag of units added to the 31 Pz Div, 52 infantry, 5 mech and 11 motorized divisions I have already destroyed.

I am really looking forward to the next time when I play on challenging.

[Image: trapping%20the%20eagle.jpg]
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2017, 01:26 PM,
RE: Trapping the eagle
The next week went by.  The Germans were able to punch a hole through in the north, pushing through 3 Pz Div (yellow lines).  The trapped SS stack was able to move out of the pocket and was put into supply by a hard moving southern attack that easily punched through my front.  During my turn I eliminated 4 units and was able to push units from the north, cutting the Pz Div off of supply.  From the east the 1st Shock Army (blue units) are roaring down south to close the open flank now that they are free from destroying the trapped huns.

What shall follow?

[Image: trapping%20the%20eagle%202.jpg]
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
12-10-2017, 02:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2017, 02:14 PM by Weasel.)
This is mid turn 3rd week, I have brought down the armies to the flank, securing it, and have destroyed the Pz Div in black.  I have also pocketed several more tank units too. I am also trying to reform all these armies back into their fronts also; the large colour variation makes it easy to do at a glance. The Soviet units that were cut off are now supplied once again, it was a weak encirclement by the Nazis.

[Image: trapping%20the%20eagle%203.jpg]

[Image: trapping%20the%20eagle%204.jpg]
12-12-2017, 10:03 AM,
Well the nasty Germans were able to extricate their SS stack but I have or am about to bag 3 more Pz Div and 2 Inf.  The ones in black were eliminated this turn.  I was very surprised to see the Bryansk front being disbanded, throwing a large number of units out of CC (white icons).

[Image: trapping%20the%20eagle%205.jpg]
12-12-2017, 02:06 PM,
Well week 5 of the battle has drawn to a close with mud putting everything in lock down mode.  The SS units managed to escape back to their own lines which is a pity, I love destroying them.  I did manage to bag 3 infantry, 3 armoured and a cavalry division, along with 2 heavy panzer battalions; all totaled the Germans have lost 116 divisions as of 1 Nov 43.  Unit in black were destroyed and the yellow ones escaped.

[Image: trapping%20the%20eagle%206.jpg]