• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Operation Cobra 1944
12-09-2017, 03:03 AM,
Operation Cobra 1944
Hello Gentlemen:

I have another scenario I recently uploaded you may be interested in.

Operation Cobra, the Yank breakout from Normandy.

If you ever wanted to be Patton and ride wild with an armored column in Western France, this is your scenario.

Suitable for 1v1 or 2v2 play.
If playing the AI, take the Allies.

Regards,

Dan
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2017, 07:45 AM,
RE: Operation Cobra 1944
Dan,

Nice looking scenario. Lot of stuff going on there and a myriad of American troops also!

Still need to study it a bit more as its one of my favorite periods on the West Front 1944.

May have to try this monster solo for a few turns to see how she plays. But where to find the time...

If I have any questions about it I'll send you a PM.

Thanks for sharing!!

ItB  Cigar5
12-09-2017, 10:46 PM,
My pleasure John.

I can fill you in plenty on Cobra...I'm currently gonads deep in a 4 way match with Tiger88/Tankertony/dawags.

It turns out St. Lo really WAS a bitch and those GI's weren't lying...;O)....ask Dale...;O)...ho ho...

Regards,

Dan
12-10-2017, 01:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2017, 01:39 AM by Crossroads.)
Kudos Dan, I recall seeing an early version of this, great to see it coming out! Obviously (duh!) a LOT of research went into this gem (too) Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-11-2017, 11:21 AM,
I've been massaging Cobra for a couple years now.
It's been difficult to test, and proved a difficult scenario to establish victory conditions for. (wildly variable results)
While the birth was difficult, C Section all the way, I'm happy with it.

I think, unfortunately for some players, this Operation was very one sided.
This makes for a challenge on second side, and only some are able to enjoy it.

It is exactly laid out, blame Osprey Publishing if it's not, lol.
It's astonishing when you see all the firepower the Yanks had assembled for Operation Cobra.

In order to make it somewhat more playable, I saved the Panzer Lehr from the carpet bombing destruction they endured at the start of Cobra. The historical decision to relocate them closer to the front line was debated and the Germans could easily have left them in their original positions, a few kilometers back from the front, as was usual for the Germans this time of war.

That is the hypothetical.

Historically, Cobra had some issues, and if the Germans had not come in piece meal with weak local counterattacks they could have been in position to exploit a long flank as the Yank armored columns rumbled southwards. This scenario allows for that possibility. For some reason it seems easier for us armchair generals to wait until we have assembled our firepower...hmm...;)

The reality is the Germans will give ground.

The victory conditions are set (hopefully!) to allow the Germans to lose the entire area west of the Vire River and still have a chance at victory. If they had isolated Cobra to the coastal areas and maintained the inland front, the collapse at Falaise may have been averted.

That last is only my conjecture of course...several dead Generals on both sides may have had differing opinions...;O)