• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Support unit CV
11-24-2017, 10:17 AM,
Support unit CV
Doing some reading on Matrix and everyone is talking about disbanding motorcycle units and sapper battalions because they have low combat value.  So I opened a corps  and looked at the attached MC regiment and the counter says 1. So I took a look at a heavy SU  tank regiment and the CV said 1 (if I am reading the counter right).  Searched the manual and it doesn't talk about being able to see the CV of a support unit except in combat itself.

Is there no way of actually comparing support units fighting ability by looking at them?  I even went into the editor and I did not see a CV listed for a motorcycle regiment.

[Image: HTR.jpg][Image: MC.jpg]
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2017, 11:19 AM,
RE: Support unit CV
(11-24-2017, 10:17 AM)Weasel Wrote: Doing some reading on Matrix and everyone is talking about disbanding motorcycle units and sapper battalions because they have low combat value.  So I opened a corps  and looked at the attached MC regiment and the counter says 1. So I took a look at a heavy SU  tank regiment and the CV said 1 (if I am reading the counter right).  Searched the manual and it doesn't talk about being able to see the CV of a support unit except in combat itself.

Is there no way of actually comparing support units fighting ability by looking at them?  I even went into the editor and I did not see a CV listed for a motorcycle regiment.

[Image: HTR.jpg][Image: MC.jpg]
The numbers on the counter are rounded. So a 1 on a counter is a wide range. The CV's in your picture above, are listed under the counter. Your Heavy Tank has Attack of 1.2/Defense of 2.1. MC has 0.1/1.2. 

Added in this patch.

V1.07.11– October 3, 2013 New Features and Rule Changes
4. New Interface - Added detailed CV attack and defend values under the counter in the unit detail window

Here is one of the latest post on CV. 

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4367937

It is a lot to track IMO. I personally do not see how you can track it with some many units, so my impression is generalizations are made. Heavy tank is better than MC.... You have to watch the combat reports at a high message level. Which is great if you have trouble sleeping because it will knock you out. The numbers do not account for everything either, like disruptions before combat, terrain etc. The CV is always changing. Depending on the year in the war, the odds (like 3:1) or knocking fortification to zero are a decent indicator in the combat reports. If it works rinse and repeat till it doesn't work anymore.

A couple of Betas ago, my MC's has 2.1 offensive. So I kept them. Now it looks like they dropped again. Probably a device change somewhere in the system. 

The disbanding of trucks vs CV in MC units has been around since the beginning. It is a min/max of the system. "Historical" players would keep them. If you are short on trucks, then it is an option to disband. 

In the end I just look at the CV on the stack and try to get the odds I am looking far. It keeps the war moving along. If I was to min/max this, I would go with the Heavy tank for the higher CV. This argument doesn't take into consideration production either. You have to have the tanks to build or it doesn't matter. 

Hope this helps,

-Gris
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
11-24-2017, 12:18 PM,
I have always been looking at the 1 on each counter, even when I read the manual on how to read the counter it didn't sink in! Geez, how stupid can I be! I see now that combat wise the MC unit sucks, but they were designed for recon which is why I put them with my corps, I will have to read the manual and see if there is anything in there about recon.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
11-24-2017, 12:41 PM,
(11-24-2017, 12:18 PM)Weasel Wrote: I have always been looking at the 1 on each counter, even when I read the manual on how to read the counter it didn't sink in!  Geez, how stupid can I be!  I see now that combat wise the MC unit sucks, but they were designed for recon which is why I put them with my corps, I will have to read the manual and see if there is anything in there about recon.

One thing they should do and don't(maybe?) is screen, recon, and report. If this game does this, I don't know how, so it may be a limitation of the system. Without these units in real life you are flying blind, as with cav and armored car units. I would rather have Panzers roll up on my MC by surprise than my tank bn. 

I agree, the CV is low, but their real value is not in fighting. If they added to detection level or better yet, they should reduced your own DL, then disbanding them might not be wise.

On the recon, I haven't figure it out yet, there is some info in the editor on detection level of zero, but I do not know how this affects other units. If it has a DL of zero does it screen the parent unit? Would love to know this for sure, but if it was the case I sure it would have come to light by now. In the manual under 13.1 the only clue I can find is this one.

Adjacent enemy combat units compare scouting values for the different units to determine changes in DL levels.

I don't know what the scouting value is.

-Gris
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
11-24-2017, 12:45 PM,
I was just in the editor, nothing in there on scouting, just shows recon squads as 9.
11-24-2017, 02:15 PM,
(11-24-2017, 12:45 PM)Weasel Wrote: I was just in the editor, nothing in there on scouting, just shows recon squads as 9.

I've haven't been able to figure it out, i'm guessing it is in the code.