• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Countering the Banzai attack
11-15-2017, 04:28 AM,
Countering the Banzai attack
I started playing RS and I find the Banzai attack a lot of fun.  However it is very powerful and painful when used against you. So I am wondering how best to counter the Banzai attack. 

First thoughts is it seems that the primary weakness of the Banzai is its vulnerability to firepower.  Retreats convert to losses and TEM are reduced.  The penalties for the Banzai attack extend throughout the following allied turn.  So keeping APs for Op Fire seems important to blunt the initial banzai.   Also using a defense in depth allowing for immediate counterattacks could be very effective.  After a banzai, move reserves to pointblank range and pour in the fire.   It seems like a screen in front of the  main line could be very effective in blunting the initial banzai followed by main force counterattacks. 

Roads and paths are particularly dangerous because a banzai attack can race along them and conduct multiple assaults.  The danger for the Japanese would be isolation on the following turn. 

Anyway, I am wondering what sort of tactics more experienced players are using to counter the Banzai?
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2017, 09:41 AM,
RE: Countering the Banzai attack
You might find an interesting read here: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...ght=banzai

I stopped playing RS years ago, simply because not enough opponents. Mike West (Kool Kat) created some great custom scenarios for it which you should check out. However, he didn't care much for the banzai in the this game. His scenarios either recommended not using it, or only using it once per game.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
11-15-2017, 02:37 PM,
(11-15-2017, 09:41 AM)Scud Wrote: You might find an interesting read here: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...ght=banzai

I stopped playing RS years ago, simply because not enough opponents. Mike West (Kool Kat) created some great custom scenarios for it which you should check out. However, he didn't care much for the banzai in the this game. His scenarios either recommended not using it, or only using it once per game.

Dave

Thanks.  However when I read that thread, I didn't see much about tactics.  I did see something about killing leaders but that was about it.  I am more curious about effective tactics to counter the banzai.  Bound to be some.
11-16-2017, 06:20 AM,
(11-15-2017, 04:28 AM)Jagger Wrote: I started playing RS and I find the Banzai attack a lot of fun.  However it is very powerful and painful when used against you. So I am wondering how best to counter the Banzai attack. 

First thoughts is it seems that the primary weakness of the Banzai is its vulnerability to firepower.  Retreats convert to losses and TEM are reduced.  The penalties for the Banzai attack extend throughout the following allied turn.  So keeping APs for Op Fire seems important to blunt the initial banzai.   Also using a defense in depth allowing for immediate counterattacks could be very effective.  After a banzai, move reserves to pointblank range and pour in the fire.   It seems like a screen in front of the  main line could be very effective in blunting the initial banzai followed by main force counterattacks. 

Roads and paths are particularly dangerous because a banzai attack can race along them and conduct multiple assaults.  The danger for the Japanese would be isolation on the following turn. 

Anyway, I am wondering what sort of tactics more experienced players are using to counter the Banzai?
Boisforas here, would you care to try out your ideas in some RS play? I'm up for any RS scenario that's reasonably balanced. Email me at [email protected].
11-17-2017, 08:53 PM,
First off let me say that I love playing Rising Sun, it's my favorite CS game.

I play Rising Sun with or without the Banzai Attack. Or a modified version on how many Banzai Attacks or certain restrictions like never on the last two turns etc. Before playing the game I discuss the Banzai subject with my opponent and we make a joint decision on what rules we are playing. Much the same as one would do when deciding if you are going to play with "Extreme Assault" or "Variable Visibility" options. It's good to have the option for those that enjoy it.

How to counter the Banzai Attack:

Sometimes there's nothing you can do if your allied forces are already depleted, disrupted or in a bad defensive position. I think the best defense is to always expect the Banzai at any time. And to usually expect it at a Victory Point hex. When things are getting dicey and the Japanese are closing in on you it is sometimes better to fall back and regroup rather than letting your forces be surrounded and overrun. And remember that the Japanese Banzai units will be weak and vulnerable during your turn and if you have sufficient un-disrupted units nearby you can counter-attack and do some real damage to the enemy. But usually the allied player just has to react to when or if the Japanese perform a Banzai Attack. You have to use your common sense and your experience and some luck sometimes to carry the day. So bottom line, I don't know of any tried and true tactic to counter the Banzai. Each scenario and each attack is unique in it's own right.

These are my own thoughts on the subject and are based on my Rising Sun experience. I think that I have played about 150+ Rising Sun Games and I have been playing (as the allies) in a Rising Sun World Tour (we play every scenario in Rising Sun) against Jeepster777 for 12 years since June 2005.

Mike/Yossarian