• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ME - Constructive Feedback.....I hope!
10-10-2017, 12:15 AM,
RE: ME - Constructive Feedback.....I hope!
(10-08-2017, 03:14 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: Out of curiosity, I checked what the Scenario database has to say about East Front scenario play balance, per scenario ratings. I'll use the same analysis as Tiger88 did, with 7.5 being the breaking point:

267 scenarios are 7.5 or better (48.5%)
284 scenarios are lower than 7.5 (51.5%)
from a total of 551

West Front:

345 (48.8%)
362 (51.2%)
from a total of 707 scenarios

These are a bit positive, as there were a few scenarios with rating of "0" that I missed because they don't filter properly. But it does not change the big picture.

Compare those then to the analysis in the opening post, with 47% positive and 53% negative (no of scenarios for analysis is of course much less).

All this does not negate the fact that more testing and playtesters the better. But perhaps offers an interesting comparison. Obviously we want to do better than the statistic medium, so yes, do join in for the next Beta Brigade testing effort.

I'm a stats guy.
Is your "pool" of results from the listed H2H PBEM games? Or, did you sample all game reports where the designers said they were designed for H2H play?

What I found impossible to live with in the early ME play were the scenarios purported to be H2H that were so unbalanced it drove me crazy.
We got answers, such as above, that "we" (the unwashed) simply did not play the scenario the way we should have? That was the same excuse as when extreme assault was introduced.

Between the "new" line of sight rules, unbalanced scenarios, and general arrogance of responses I gave my ME away to the first taker. Even paying to ship it to them.

And, slightly off topic, this is what I fear about EF III and what we are going to see there. As above posted the (paraphrase) "you think that ME scenarios are not balanced, wait until you see the ones designed for Barbarossa". Yikes!
We are going to lose the tried and true existing H2H "balanced" scenarios for the ones that are thrown in that are for H2H play. But, when it is discovered that they are totally unbalanced, because "we" do not play them the way they are supposed to be played, it will just be brushed off for those of us who play regularly and expected better.

For those who want realism you do not have to sacrifice H2H play-ability. H2H play is what the club, the ladders, and PBEM is all about?

And, on another side note (concerning the tank with a crew of three) instead of creating new rules, how about using the guides that exist already in the early Russian and French designs that us a 50 or 75 point cost to fire, which reflects that? You either move or fire?

I do hope that the changes will be improvements. But, I honestly did not see that through the process and discussion during the updating of ME.

And, in keeping with the title of this thread, we could use more designers who put play balance first when uploading "for H2H" scenarios. That does not make them "fantasy" and it may take more work but, they will be truly better than what we were given?

Farmer

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2017, 12:35 AM,
(10-09-2017, 09:10 PM)fritzfarlig Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 08:59 PM)Battle Kat Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 01:16 PM)Scud Wrote: How about putting a couple in the H2H testing area and advertising for testers in the forum? I know we don't often step up to test, but Mike West got excellent results when he pushed for testers. Just need designers to stay active and on top of it.

Dave

(10-09-2017, 07:07 PM)fritzfarlig Wrote: Middle East, Several more scenarios creators on the pitch please

Oh man, I just recalled Jim (von Krieg) set up a scenario design competition a while ago. I had totally forgotten about that. There would have been plenty of time to run a few of them through the Blitz H2H process, and to be included then in the 2.0 release, now out in late November. 

There's always the next update, right. I'll see if we can set up something like that, with some prizes to be win, too!

I also remember it, but have not heard anything about it since

Jim put a halt to it, as the prize was a copy of the Viet Nam game and it won't be ready for quite awhile.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-10-2017, 01:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 01:11 AM by Crossroads.)
(10-10-2017, 12:35 AM)Scud Wrote: Jim put a halt to it, as the prize was a copy of the Viet Nam game and it won't be ready for quite awhile.

How about launching it now, again? H2H takes its time, and VN is scheduled for next summer? Or, perhaps at the beginning of 2018 latest?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-10-2017, 01:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 03:02 AM by Scud. Edit Reason: typo )
(10-10-2017, 01:10 AM)Battle Kat Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 12:35 AM)Scud Wrote: Jim put a halt to it, as the prize was a copy of the Viet Nam game and it won't be ready for quite awhile.

How about launching it now, again? H2H takes its time, and VN is scheduled for next summer? Or, perhaps at the beginning of 2018 latest?

It was Jim's baby. I was just helping him set it up on the site. Not sure how he intended to judge the submissions. Whether he would, or a team, or the club itself. We never got that far...though I did design a gorgeous medal for the winner(s).  Smile
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
10-10-2017, 02:02 AM,
For that medal alone we need to revive this! It *was* gorgeous!
Visit us at CSLegion.com