• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Attacking as the Soviets in 42
09-12-2017, 03:47 AM,
Attacking as the Soviets in 42
It is July 42 now (yes I am slow, but each turn still takes me 90 minutes + to play) and with 8M men in the field I am trying to push back the Germans.  All of my attacks seem to fail even with 9 divisions attacking; am I correct in assuming that with the low morale of the Russians in 42 that the only real way of winning a fight is to attack with corps, say 9 corps on 3 sides of the hex?

Right now the game is a stalemate, the Germans cannot advance through my hordes of men, but I cannot either so the line is frozen 12 hexes south of Leningrad and about 8 hexes west of Smolensk and Odessa.

Also, I have conducted numerous airfield attacks on the Germans, using 160 fighters and 100 bombers and I fail to destroy anything on the ground (recon shows aircraft there) with 19 German fighters knocked 19 of my fighters out of the air.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2017, 08:59 AM,
RE: Attacking as the Soviets in 42
The Soviets need to build up experience and morale. Fighting and losing helps experience, especially if losses are fairly balanced (Soviets will always be a bit worse at this point). Morale is from winning, and leads to Guards units when a unit wins enough battles.

A lot of times, I would attack but not move into the hex the Axis retreated from, as I believe a lost battle negates at least a portion of the benefit of a win toward achieving Guards status. And it will leave the hex with a lower entrenchment if the Axis moves back in.

No magic solution, it takes time and attrition at this point, with a good mix of units for the Soviets, and maybe even try rotating attacking units for each turn - you should be dropping the entrenchment levels with most attacks so stay focused, think Zhukov, wear them down, and be patient.
[Image: exercise.png]
09-12-2017, 12:17 PM,
RE: Attacking as the Soviets in 42
So attack and attack, even if you lose just to build up experience...interesting. I have a lot of guard units now, but can always use more I guess.

Thanks
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha