• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NEW: Prokhorovka 5: The Historical Battle
12-20-2017, 09:30 AM,
RE: NEW: Prokhorovka 5: The Historical Battle
This scenario is ruthless.

Meticulously researched and modeled to a high standard.
The original (1/2 scale version) was always a favorite of mine.
They share the same challenge for the German players, which is hanging on by your fingernails.

If the German had more ground to give...it would help.
If it extended to the west behind the Germans a few more kilometers it would help the German a lot.
And please don't get me wrong, the map is beautiful, a very nice piece of work.

The following constructive criticism is offered with respect to the effort and time spent on this scenario.
I myself spent many weeks, playing both sides.

Several design choices make this one tend to play and score towards the mean.
This is my primary concern.

The incredible number of 1 and 2 strength Russian tanks running around mean shot after shot after shot...mostly for no effect. Then you add in the low supply level meaning the majority of these low strength tank platoons are now firing at half strength and you realize why no one is getting results. The Germans also have a lot of low strength units.

You end up with a lot of shots, mostly for no effect, and in the end with all those rolls I believe the scenario will tend to score very near the mean. Time after time.

The high number of artillery units, with many low strength, leads to the same condition with indirect results.

It ends up being a real meat grinder.
I still enjoyed the scenario.
Just wanted to find better balance.
There is a place for meatgrinders in this CS world and this scenario is definitely worthy.

Regards,

Dan
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEW: Prokhorovka 5: The Historical Battle - by Dan Caviness - 12-20-2017, 09:30 AM