• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Happy Birthday Danny boy!
09-04-2017, 07:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2017, 07:13 AM by RedDevil.)
RE: Happy Birthday Danny boy!
Well... Statically, DEC/JAN/FEB are the most active months for some things like this.. LOL
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2017, 11:02 PM,
(09-04-2017, 07:12 AM)RedDevil Wrote: Well... Statically, DEC/JAN/FEB are the most active months for some things like this.. LOL

Not to mention Statistically!

I can't speak for your inception Devil... Whistle
But I can tell you all about mine, pull up a seat... Helmet Rolleyes

So my Dad's out of WWII and moves to California, as Farmington New Mexico was officially declared DOA after the war.  Actually Farmington had been heading downhill ever since the Pony Express moved on 60 years earlier or so, but it took a while for the pulse to finally cease.  He's working as a foreman on an orchard where my Mother was picking fruit, along with the rest of her family, as Racine, Missouri wasn't far behind Farmington and they needed to eat.

Real Grapes of Wrath shit... Desert2 Farmer Tractor

Or the other explanation...I was conceived as the bastard son of Rod Serling and Broomhilde...during an equinox...or a commercial break when watching the Outer Limits... Twilight Zone Beam Me Up  
Probably doggie style so they could both watch the TV, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Now THERE was a TV show.  The Outer Limits.  The "control voice"...oh yeah...
Blew my little mind...anyone else watch the Outer Limits stuff when you were a tyke?

What sucked was it was on opposite the Jackie Gleason show and Dad wasn't going to miss his Jackie Gleason on Sunday night.

For you young'uns, this was back in the day when (if you were LUCKY) you had one TV, black and white, no DVR, no remote (the kids were the remote, when the old man told you to get up and change the channel, that's what you did) and it you were lucky you didn't have to hold on to the rabbit ear antennas so one of the THREE channels came in.  Kids proved to be excellent antennas...who knew?
I'm fairly sure I picked up several roentgens of old school cathode ray tube radiation.... Hide4  

Nice work Randy.... Devil Spit cheers
09-08-2017, 11:03 PM,
Lt. Dan!
Nice...I will have to avoid further promotions to hold on to that one...:O)
09-08-2017, 11:04 PM,
I need some titanium legs!
09-09-2017, 03:58 AM,
(09-08-2017, 11:02 PM)Dan Caviness Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 07:12 AM)RedDevil Wrote: Well... Statically, DEC/JAN/FEB are the most active months for some things like this.. LOL

Not to mention Statistically!

I can't speak for your inception Devil... Whistle
But I can tell you all about mine, pull up a seat... Helmet Rolleyes

So my Dad's out of WWII and moves to California, as Farmington New Mexico was officially declared DOA after the war.  Actually Farmington had been heading downhill ever since the Pony Express moved on 60 years earlier or so, but it took a while for the pulse to finally cease.  He's working as a foreman on an orchard where my Mother was picking fruit, along with the rest of her family, as Racine, Missouri wasn't far behind Farmington and they needed to eat.

Real Grapes of Wrath shit... Desert2 Farmer Tractor

Or the other explanation...I was conceived as the bastard son of Rod Serling and Broomhilde...during an equinox...or a commercial break when watching the Outer Limits... Twilight Zone Beam Me Up  
Probably doggie style so they could both watch the TV, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Now THERE was a TV show.  The Outer Limits.  The "control voice"...oh yeah...
Blew my little mind...anyone else watch the Outer Limits stuff when you were a tyke?

What sucked was it was on opposite the Jackie Gleason show and Dad wasn't going to miss his Jackie Gleason on Sunday night.

For you young'uns, this was back in the day when (if you were LUCKY) you had one TV, black and white, no DVR, no remote (the kids were the remote, when the old man told you to get up and change the channel, that's what you did) and it you were lucky you didn't have to hold on to the rabbit ear antennas so one of the THREE channels came in.  Kids proved to be excellent antennas...who knew?
I'm fairly sure I picked up several roentgens of old school cathode ray tube radiation.... Hide4  

Nice work Randy.... Devil Spit cheers

Oh Yeah!! The 1960's Outer Limits was the boss! It rocked!!!!

Lot of actors got their start on the show and the monsters, damn I can't say enough about the monsters! They scared me right out of the room half the time and the whole series was done on a meager budget. Joseph Stefanno, the producer, was a genius.

Remember when they turned David McCallum into the big headed, pointy ear, six finger being? How about when the turned Robert Culp into an alien who was suppose to unite mankind. They don't make 'em like that anymore. 

Now I got to go to YouTube and see what's on for the original Outer Limits....

"we are controlling transmission, we can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour sit back and we shall control all that you see and hear..."
09-09-2017, 11:14 PM,
Being one of the "ancient ones" around here, yes, Outer Limits wow! Remember the black and white "classic" look and "TV" feel. Remember when dad asked for you to go to the back of the TV and jiggle the tubes back and forth. "They must be loose." Shocked

I still watch them when they come on. Then recognize all the actors that became famous or were famous and still did OL. "To Serve Man, ... it's a cook book!" Witch Pot

Farmer

HSL
09-10-2017, 02:37 AM,
(09-09-2017, 11:14 PM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Being one of the "ancient ones" around here, yes, Outer Limits wow! Remember the black and white "classic" look and "TV" feel. Remember when dad asked for you to go to the back of the TV and jiggle the tubes back and forth. "They must be loose."  Shocked

I still watch them when they come on. Then recognize all the actors that became famous or were famous and still did OL. "To Serve Man, ... it's a cook book!" Witch Pot

Farmer

HSL

Although I liked and watched it, it was always a poor mans Twilight Zone to me. I never like actually seeing the monster and Outer Limits had too much of that. Twilight Zone's "The Cornfield" with Billy Mumy as the "monster" was one of the best.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-14-2017, 07:07 AM,
Gentlemen:

It is impossible to discern, much less discriminate, between the genius of those two shows. Rod Serling inspired me to smoke two packs a day for several decades. Joe Stefano and Leslie Stevens made me weird(er) still. Also...Frontiere's haunting musical scores set an eerie tone to the OL that still resonates. Pun distended.

Serling was so far ahead of his time most of his audience never realized they were being educated. He respected the greats of SF, shamelessly stealing when needed, crediting when possible. They had something to say.

Nowadays you can't show either of these shows to anyone young. They lack the contextual frame of reference. They point out the cheesy, low budget effects, ignoring the story lines, and most importantly, the message. It was shot 4:3 ratio, black and white, mono. There were no effects then for the most part other than painting on the negatives. I've realized over the years they cannot understand what it was to be a young boy in the 1960's growing up hiding under your desk at school several times a year worrying about looking away from the nuclear flash. Not their fault, not ours, but that time in history was fairly unique in a dark, twisted way. We really thought we were going to war with the Russians.

Where to find a voice of quiet sanity in the midst of all this pre-apocalyptic hubbub?
You got it...the Twilight Zone and the Outer Limits...

Let's go to the tape...my favorite TL's...wow...tough to pare that down but a few choice ones include the following.

1. It's a Good Life (the one with Billy Mumy taking over the town)
2. Obsolete Man (with Burgess Meridith)
3. The Shelter (where the guy's "friends" pull him screaming out of his nuclear bunker)
4. The Howling Man (where a well meant traveler decided to let Satan...in the role of John Carridine...out of prison)
5. Two (with Elizibeth Montgomery and Charles Bronson)
6. Third From the Sun
7. The Masks (where the old man wear's the death's head skull)

Every one disturbing in it's own way.
Forced us to think they did.

For the Outer Limits...the list is shorter but every bit as juicy...

1. Nightmare (with a very young Martin Sheen)
2. Demon With a Glass Hand (Robert Culp)
3. OBIT

"We now return control of your TV set to you until next week."
09-14-2017, 08:12 PM,
Dan,

Indeed yes, a child growing up in the 60's had a different view than today for sure.

The thought that Cleveland, Ohio could be vaporized in an attack was very real.
Not the Russians but "The Soviets" as I quickly became to know them then were very real.
Then in October 1962 (I was 8), Cuba and the crisis, wow we came so close to really doing the unthinkable.

Looking back on all that now it still seems a bit real but not as intense as it was back then. The world has changed a lot for the good but still some change not so good.

The messages in those shows, Amen! There was a clear message and one just had to think for a moment as to the true context. 

John