• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

fanaticism and losing Cavalry Charge bonus
08-21-2017, 08:32 AM,
RE: fanaticism and losing Cavalry Charge bonus
From the PDT guide:

Line 97 1
Fanaticism value for units that have "-" in front of their unit morale value in the OB file listing.

So there is only ONE value on this line. You have to add in the "-" value in front of ANY morale value that gets the rating.

Thus it was not restricted to Infantry by the Main Program but rather by OB file definition. The PDT File line 97 value applies to only those units.

THUS you could give cavalry (or even artillery) a fanaticism rating.

I would give this rating (- in front of morale rating) without hesitation to some units that performed very well at battles. The 57th Ligne already gets a good rating (5 or 6 morale I think).

Food for thought while I work on the new title ;)
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2017, 11:57 AM,
Quote:Fire Modifiers
Enfiladed: the increase in effect of fire directed against a target unit which is not facing the firing unit.
Cavalry: the increase in effect of fire directed against mounted cavalry.
Fanaticism Value: the increase in Morale that certain specified units receive.

Somehow I missed this.  So basically fanaticism is a +morale modifier which only applies to firepower morale checks.

I wonder if it is possible to give a negative fanaticism modifier for units especially vulnerable to firepower.
10-02-2017, 02:20 AM,
(08-19-2017, 07:15 PM)agmoss99 Wrote: The fanaticism bonus only applies to Russian infantry. It's +2 - as Bill says it was +4 in the old NIR series. Basically it only affects the chances of rout of a unit. It means the Russians can withstand more of a pounding without running off.

Oh and with cavalry - beware. The cossacks don't have a charge bonus unless charging routed infantry.

I never knew that, Andy! Hmm, am in a tournament with Paco and will keep that in mind ... (am keeping my Cossacks out of the cavalry fights for now).
10-13-2017, 12:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2017, 12:38 PM by Jagger.)
(09-27-2017, 11:57 AM)Jagger Wrote:
Quote:Fire Modifiers
Enfiladed: the increase in effect of fire directed against a target unit which is not facing the firing unit.
Cavalry: the increase in effect of fire directed against mounted cavalry.
Fanaticism Value: the increase in Morale that certain specified units receive.

Somehow I missed this.  So basically fanaticism is a +morale modifier which only applies to firepower morale checks.

I wonder if it is possible to give a negative fanaticism modifier for units especially vulnerable to firepower.

Ok, here is the answer I received from Rich and he double checked with JT on the morale test portion of the question.

Russian fanaticism bonus applies to melee combat and melee morale checks only.  Per the manual, "A" morale units receive a melee combat bonus and "E/F" morale units receive a melee combat penalty during melee combat.  So Russian B/C morale units with +2 fanaticism fight a melee as A+/A morale units with the A morale melee quality bonus.  Russian E/F morale units with +2 fanaticism fight a melee as C/D morale units without the E/F melee quality penalty.  In addition, if a Russian fanaticism unit loses a melee, they test for rout using +2 to their morale.  So all Russian fanaticism units benefit during the melee morale test. The fanaticism bonus makes Russian troops very tough in melee.