• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Moving Soviet units to the front
07-25-2017, 12:15 PM,
Moving Soviet units to the front
There must be a faster way of moving units from the rear to the front; by faster I mean not having to actually drive each and every unit forward by road or rail.  Is there any way to enable a setting that will automatically move the units westward each turn?  I am finding moving reserves is taking 40% of the turn length and is a real hassle.

Did a search and such but couldn't find anything, I don't think there is but maybe someone knows a hidden gem?
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2017, 01:15 AM,
RE: Moving Soviet units to the front
(07-25-2017, 12:15 PM)Weasel Wrote: There must be a faster way of moving units from the rear to the front; by faster I mean not having to actually drive each and every unit forward by road or rail.  Is there any way to enable a setting that will automatically move the units westward each turn?  I am finding moving reserves is taking 40% of the turn length and is a real hassle.

Did a search and such but couldn't find anything, I don't think there is but maybe someone knows a hidden gem?

Hi Weasel,

To my knowledge there is nothing in the game to automate the process. Here is my process.

1. Move all the units to a Military District since they need a couple of turns to refit and train to gain experience (faster too if you are away from enemy units). Moscow MD, Orel MD, Khakov MD, or Volga MD, etc, etc,  depending on the time and situation. If you assign them to an MD, after they are built up, you can transfer them to a front for no admin cost. You can build entire Armee units and transfer them to a Front when a Front activates. Much easier if they are all heading to the same place.

2. Hit the 'o' key and bring up the order of battle screen. At the end of the turn you should not have any units assigned to Stavka (hit the plus sign to expand list), this is how you can tell if you processed all the arriving units. Click on any left and assign/move to a MD. Some unit are frozen and can't move.

I make my moves by Army HQ using Command doctrine called one up/two down. If I have a unit that needs divisions, then I grab the closest one from an MD and move/rail it to the HQ and assign. There is no admin charge. If it can't assign to the Armee HQ due to distance, then assign it to the Front HQ.

If you move them by rail right to the front, they won't last long, but I get it, sometimes you have to. Using MD's to refit/train makes for better units and the turn moves a lot faster.

Hope this helps

See you on the Steppe!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
07-26-2017, 09:08 AM,
Hi Gris; I have tons of units under Stavka, all my unassigned ones. So there is no way to move all those units but to click and slog each one to the front, that sucks. They could really use an automated AI movement then, gee, even steel panthers has it!
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
07-26-2017, 10:07 AM,
(07-26-2017, 09:08 AM)Weasel Wrote: Hi Gris; I have tons of units under Stavka, all my unassigned ones.  So there is no way to move all those units but to click and slog each one to the front, that sucks.  They could really use an automated AI movement then, gee, even steel panthers has it!

True, you have to move each one. I use the MD to sort them out. I find it easy actually, it doesn't take long in my turn. I also think the more games you have under your belt, the quicker it becomes. 

Once you set a template, you become automated so to speak. I think that is why is it important to have a standard set up in the beginning just to make all the coordination that much easier.

My standard Armee setup is;

1. 8 Infantry division (16 CP)
2. 1 Cav Division (2 CP)
3. 1 Tank Brigade (1CP)

For 21 CP, no sense in making them 24 CP because it drops. In Spring 42 your CP per Soviet Armee drops to 18 CP. The Axis will help you sort the extra units out on it's way to the Volga. Then you can change it to;

1. 8 Infantry division (16 CP)
2. 2 CP of tanks (Corps, Div, Brigade)

The cav are missing because you took them in the Blizzard and formed them into Cavalry Corps. Before the Blizzard they are nice to have for reserve status, because your Armor is coming and going off the battlefield for various reasons.

So I move everything to an MD, refit and train, then if an Armee needs a units, grab it from the MD and fill it. I check it every turn, because Armee are my maneuver unit. Stavka is the High HQ, your maneuver units is two below in command, Front then Armee. When a new Armee in a MD is ready, I assign it to a Front and fight it as an Armee. I assign units to an Armee, support units to Armee, supply Armees, etc etc etc. 

I do the same with support units, and I am still working on a template for Air. After a couple of campaign starts it becomes habit. The actual setup above isn't important. What helps is you have a standard setup for 1941 in all areas. Makes it go much faster and helps you when the enemy isn't cooperating:) Your template is up to you.

Maybe in WITE 2 they will automate it, it would be nice to have a script like Steel Panthers!

Hope this helps.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
07-26-2017, 11:51 AM,
My armies are a mixed bag. Is it bad that I am putting so much faith in my armoured brigades? I have about 3 - 4 per army.
07-26-2017, 01:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM by Weasel.)
I think I have won this won actually, the Axis, as of 22 Jan 42, have now lost 12 Pz, 5 mot and 13 Inf div; I can't see them coming back from losing 90% of their armour but I will keep going.
07-26-2017, 01:34 PM,
(07-26-2017, 11:51 AM)Weasel Wrote: My armies are a mixed bag.  Is it bad that I am putting so much faith in my armoured brigades?  I have about 3 - 4 per army.

There is no magic formula, if it is working, go with it.

If it is working that well, I may try it!