• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Another Command Question
07-22-2017, 02:51 AM,
Another Command Question
I've been fooling around with Middle East '67 recently, and have discovered a few things. Number one, it appears to be the only game in the series that allows you swap brigades among divisions (rather than the standard Divisions among Corps). So I've been tweaking.

For example, I created a "division" in the Southern & Northern Command solely so that I could assign brigades to it. But in order to do so, this dummy divisions needs a leader. So I put in a "Staff Officer." Now, this guy is not deployed on the map, he's just there so that I can move brigades around.

So here't the question. What's the effect of not having that leader in the game? Does he "exist" for purposes of command? I mean, he's in the OOB, and not in the game, but the game recognizes his presence for attachment purposes.  Will the game think a command link is missing? Or will units just rely on the overall Command leader without any problems?

Graphically:

Bde --> (leader not in game but in OOB) --> Command Leader

Does this have any effect on Command?

Chris P.
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2017, 01:32 PM,
RE: Another Command Question
I believe the subordinate units/HQs would trace to the next higher HQ in their chain - this could me a lower chance of being in command each turn.
[Image: exercise.png]
07-23-2017, 12:52 AM,
That's how I hoped it would work. I need to experiment.
07-28-2017, 03:44 PM,
Keep in mind we had to make this change for the ME67 game. The Israeli Army was as I recall, was organized around Brigade groups and the were swapped around as required.

Getting good solid info on the Israeli's is tricky. They are very sensitive as to what is released. I recall, and I think this is in the designer notes, but the best book we had for scenario Designing had one brigade moving in opposite directions at exactly the same time, in two different places in the same book.

So keep in mind, just because you have a book that say such and such a unit was here and going there, does not mean there isn't another source to contradict what is said.

Glenn Saunders
Send this user an email
07-31-2017, 11:41 PM,
(07-28-2017, 03:44 PM)Glenn Saunders Wrote: Keep in mind we had to make this change for the ME67 game. The Israeli Army was as I recall, was organized around Brigade groups and the were swapped around as required.

Getting good solid info on the Israeli's is tricky. They are very sensitive as to what is released. I recall, and I think this is in the designer notes, but the best book we had for scenario Designing had one brigade moving in opposite directions at exactly the same time, in two different places in the same book.

So keep in mind, just because you have a book that say such and such a unit was here and going there, does not mean there isn't another source to contradict what is said.

Glenn Saunders

Yeah, I think you mentioned that in your notes. Having done a little research myself, I have to agree. All I've done is expand on this "Brigade swapping." For example, by making Central Command a division, rather than a Corps, I can now swap brigades in and out of CC. I can't swap all of Peled's division, but I can swap some of the brigades. Also, by creating a "dummy" division in the other fronts, along with a "Staff Officer HQ",  I can swap brigades there too.

Chris P.
07-31-2017, 11:43 PM,
My biggest question, though, is where are the TOW missiles. According to numerous sources, Israeli got 2000 of so TOW missiles (from NATO stocks) and used them with great effect at Chinese Farm, for example. These are completely missing.