• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

DAT files?
06-21-2017, 05:24 AM,
DAT files?
I can't seem to find it here. What do the DAT files in the info folder do (misc.dat, units.dat, and so on)? It's really not evident from looking at them  Big Grin 

Chris P.
Quote this message in a reply
06-22-2017, 04:32 AM,
RE: DAT files?
(06-21-2017, 05:24 AM)chrisp Wrote: I can't seem to find it here. What do the DAT files in the info folder do (misc.dat, units.dat, and so on)? It's really not evident from looking at them  Big Grin 

Chris P.

They are the data files for all of the parameter values within the game.  When you open an editor, all of the values you see are stored in the DAT files.  Lethality, penetration, all of the weapon and terrain parameters, etc.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
06-22-2017, 11:04 PM,
(06-22-2017, 04:32 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(06-21-2017, 05:24 AM)chrisp Wrote: I can't seem to find it here. What do the DAT files in the info folder do (misc.dat, units.dat, and so on)? It's really not evident from looking at them  Big Grin 

Chris P.

They are the data files for all of the parameter values within the game.  When you open an editor, all of the values you see are stored in the DAT files.  Lethality, penetration, all of the weapon and terrain parameters, etc.

Not those .dat files, the ones in the Info folder. Like units.dat which has a series of numbers in it. The numbers in units.dat seem to match the pictures in units.bmp in some way.
06-25-2017, 03:11 AM,
If I remember correctly the units.dat file is used to match an image with the proper nationality. Each nationality (US Army, US Airborne, SS, Whermacht, etc) has an assigned number and I might have a list of them somewhere if you are interested.

Jeff
06-25-2017, 05:59 PM,
(06-25-2017, 03:11 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: If I remember correctly the units.dat file is used to match an image with the proper nationality.  Each nationality (US Army, US Airborne, SS, Whermacht, etc) has an assigned number and I might have a list of them somewhere if you are interested.  

Jeff

I know that I definitely would be, Jeff.
Send this user an email
06-26-2017, 02:09 AM,
I found an old Word document on editing Squad Battles. I need to contact JTS and see if it is a privileged document, but if you want a copy, send me an email.

Jeff