• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why Is Squad Battles Dead??????
06-22-2017, 08:09 AM,
RE: Why Is Squad Battles Dead??????
I think you can get an idea of how Tiller views the Panzer Battles' sales amounts off of that video interview he did like last year I think - you can find it on YouTube, although iirc it is like an hour or so.

I think that is the closest you will get on sales figures -I don't have any idea what they are myself, and would be very surprised if Rich were to talk to them.

I do know that there will be new, and a more uniform style of artwork across all titles of the series. It is more a matter of fitting in the time to do it.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2017, 07:20 PM,
This "Problem" appears in almost every forum of older games. For 99% of the people not the quality of the game is important but the graphic. And if they see better graphic the old game is forgotten very fast. But great games like squadbattles will always have a small fanclub who will play the game for ever. Its the same for my favorite game ,Peoples general. Even though we made in the community many new mods, a high resolution patch, and maps with modern grapics its not possibble to bring back a new big number of players. There are so many new, and a lot of games for free out there so an old game has no chance. But i think with videogames its the same like with woman. If you really love your woman you will not leave it for a younger one, same is for videogames.
08-19-2017, 10:42 AM,
I would pay again/re-buy all of my Squad Battles titles if they got the Wargame Design Studios treatment (and maybe a few new scenarios thrown in)...that's how desperate I am to get an SB update or new title with the new features/aesthetic. I am like Keystone... SB hits my sweet spot. Funny when I joined Blitz years ago I got the impression that SB was top of the Tiller heap in popularity. No doubt it was probably only because it was what I most interested in :) I will always hold out hope...
08-19-2017, 02:33 PM,
(08-19-2017, 10:42 AM)gabeeg Wrote: I would pay again/re-buy all of my Squad Battles titles if they got the Wargame Design Studios treatment (and maybe a few new scenarios thrown in)...that's how desperate I am to get an SB update or new title with the new features/aesthetic.   I am like Keystone... SB hits my sweet spot.   Funny when I joined Blitz years ago I got the impression that SB was top of the Tiller heap in popularity.  No doubt it was probably only because it was what I most interested in :)  I will always hold out hope...

There is a comparable project to David F's 'PzC Gold' updates, although it is under JTS.

http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/sb_dev_tour_duty.php

The guy at the top left corner may be a part of that project (neither confirming or denying it ;).  Forget the background of that page, as that will not be the map - that is stock art from the original release - which is largely why I only uploaded it today (I have to re-do the map background at some point anyway) ...

Fwiw - this isn't me talking about a mod project. It is also not a web design project.
Send this user an email
08-19-2017, 09:40 PM,
We need some WDS for SB IMHO.......
08-20-2017, 12:00 AM,
(08-19-2017, 09:40 PM)kolc Wrote: We need some WDS for SB IMHO.......

Yep - I guess I am done with this site.
Send this user an email
08-20-2017, 11:01 PM,
(08-19-2017, 02:33 PM)trauth116 Wrote:
(08-19-2017, 10:42 AM)gabeeg Wrote: I would pay again/re-buy all of my Squad Battles titles if they got the Wargame Design Studios treatment (and maybe a few new scenarios thrown in)...that's how desperate I am to get an SB update or new title with the new features/aesthetic.   I am like Keystone... SB hits my sweet spot.   Funny when I joined Blitz years ago I got the impression that SB was top of the Tiller heap in popularity.  No doubt it was probably only because it was what I most interested in :)  I will always hold out hope...

There is a comparable project to David F's 'PzC Gold' updates, although it is under JTS.

http://hist-sdc.com/spotlights/sb_dev_tour_duty.php

The guy at the top left corner may be a part of that project (neither confirming or denying it ;).  Forget the background of that page, as that will not be the map - that is stock art from the original release - which is largely why I only uploaded it today (I have to re-do the map background at some point anyway) ...

Fwiw - this isn't me talking about a mod project. It is also not a web design project.

Excellent,  I will be keeping an eye on that page!
08-23-2017, 01:31 AM,
So maybe not dead after all!!!!!

Looking forward to following any further development. My credit card is waiting for more Squad Battles.

I would like to see: additional AFV development (not Panzer boardgame detail).
armor leaders with command and control benefits.
10-06-2017, 05:57 PM,
(06-16-2017, 03:47 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
(06-16-2017, 03:15 AM)KEYSTONE07950 Wrote: I think WDS does great work.  I enjoy the Panzer Battles series and look forward to them updating Panzer Campaigns.  Berto's work (along with many others) has helped turn the Campaign Series into a new wonderful game!

All that being said,  I find Squad Battles to be my sweet spot.  The scale and level of abstraction seem perfect to me.

If no new titles are expected in the near future, I (and I hope other fans) would PAY for an enhanced game engine.  I rarely play the stock scenarios more than a few times each.  I spend most of my time creating new scenarios.  Having an updated engine would be an expense I would gladly pay.

If you ever want to share your new scenarios, let me know.  I would be more than happy to put them up onto Task Force Echo 4 for the SB community to enjoy....

hi read your post ref you create new scens  I  have played the house built scens to death ,and as yet unable to fathom the scen generator .
I would be very interested in playing your custom scens  if you would post them .

it would appear that the  designers have given up on SB and moved on to other things 

br steve
11-09-2017, 05:03 AM,
A few things:

- WDS will not be picking up the SB series - their plate is full with the three series of games they currently have. So no point in cheering for that.

- As Steve allude to, we do have a project underway through JTS to enhance the series and roll out another round of updates. What *exactly* will be included with that I can't say at this time, but as of now looking at graphical enhancements and a few engine tweaks/changes. Labor is an issue here too...would like to see scenario updates, etc. being included too - but there's only so many hours in the day. All issue reports I have at the Support account (either JTS or HPS) will be addressed though.

- I personally see value in doing a few more official titles, but as Alan said, the designers have all moved on to other things... so really its a lack of man power to get more games out. My plate has been overflowing for years, so I certainly don't have time to tackle scenario design tasks.

- ** If ** we do in fact tombstone the series with the next round of updates then I could see the map editor being released at that time. I would not want to advocate for that until such time as I am positive no further commercial development will take place.

<salute>