• Downloads

Why Is Squad Battles Dead??????
11-09-2017, 05:25 PM,
RE: new scens
hi 

its me again banging on about new custom  scens 
I have contacted the supplier twice about producing new scens 
I also asked how much to sell us new scens 
at this time no positive indication that they intend to support your purchase , other than the onboard scen editor which I find  extremely taxing and badly put together .

So any warriors out there who have been smart enough to  have custom made scens ,please post !!!
or maybe SELL some to me 

steve
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2017, 06:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 08:18 PM by -72-.)
Seriously- you do realise the guy that you just replied under (Rahamy) is actually the guy that you are saying that you contacted, right?

I guess not.

Quote: As Steve alluded to, ...

Am pretty sure Rich (Rahamy) was meaning me, as the Steve he was referring to - this being one of the exceptions to sites where I generally go by my first name.
Send this user an email
11-10-2017, 03:21 AM,
(11-09-2017, 06:22 PM)trauth116 Wrote: Seriously- you do realise the guy that you just replied under (Rahamy) is actually the guy that you are saying that you contacted, right?

I guess not.

Quote: As Steve alluded to, ...

Am pretty sure Rich (Rahamy) was meaning me, as the Steve he was referring to - this being one of the exceptions to sites where I generally go by my first name
well I'm confused 
ill try again
11-10-2017, 03:21 AM,
RE: Why Is Squad Battles Dead??????
hi 

I have contacted the supplier twice about producing new scens 
I also asked how much to sell us new scens 
at this time no positive indication that they intend to support your purchase , other than the onboard scen editor which I find  extremely taxing and badly put together .

So any warriors out there who have been smart enough to  have custom made scens ,please post !!!
or maybe SELL some to me 

steve
11-10-2017, 07:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 07:57 AM by -72-.)
(11-10-2017, 03:21 AM)shorttape Wrote: hi 

Ok-

1) the 'supplier' that you claim to have contacted would have been Rahamy.  He just posted in here within, what, the last 24 hours?  He was pretty clear.

2) It isn't about 'selling new scenarios' -but rather finding someone to produce them, as Alan (BigRedOne) alluded to - all of the design crews have moved on to other projects and are not active in SB; no one can guarantee that they will ever be - and frankly, it is their prerogative.  Plus I don't recall JTS ever 'selling' new scenarios; that isn't their business model - if it isn't a new title, then it has always been gratis.

3) "No Support" ?  Seriously - since you keep slamming this up there then this kind of smacks of search engine loading - nice one - not true in the least, but nice one. 

4) So it's too hard for you to use ... ok, well that comes through loud and clear - not sure of your criterion for what constitutes badly put together -but whatever ... your opinion only.

5) Advocating others sell something that they don't own the rights to -and doing it multiple times on multiple- you are aware that can't happen, as JTS owns the intellectual rights to his own products, I assume?  That's not actually 'slippery slope' territory - that happens to be a cliff. 

-There will be additional scenarios if anyone is willing to put them together -but I cannot guarantee that will happen, other than I am not going to be the one doing it, as I rarely play the series.
Send this user an email
11-10-2017, 09:25 PM,
Always got good service from JTS...if the game does not continue so be it. I have all the titles and I have certainly not played all scenarios so still alot to do. There are plenty of resources at TFE4 to keep one busy for some time as well....
11-11-2017, 01:23 AM,
Producing scenarios is a labor of love, not profit.

I have started a few times to make custom scenarios for Squad Battles [my dream of doing the Band of Brothers scenario set in ES is still vapor-ware!] and have done scenarios for another series [Guadalcanal in Naval War] so I can tell you that creating scenarios is a chore.

Research - esp if recreating an historical scenario takes significant time and then putting the OOBs, modding the map, fixing start positions, thinking about special objectives, effects - HUGE investment of time.

So, if I was to embark upon a scenario set for profit, or even compensation, I would take this as a commission (much as a custom piece of jewelry) and would require 50% upfront, 50% upon delivery with the right of distribution. And It would be in the 100s or perhaps thousands of dollars US! I calculate 15 USD per hour for my chainmaille jewelry work - this would be the same, so estimate 60-120 hours - - - - - you get the idea

Now, we could all wistfully pontificate that scenario design might be easier, but we must play the cards we are dealt. So my point is - - - scenario design is a labor of love and passion, and I very much doubt that anyone is going to embark upon a design project to earn a few extra bucks for Christmas shopping!

Sorry shorttape!
11-11-2017, 02:55 AM,
thanks for all your comments
it confirms what I hoped was not the case ( SB is dead )
time to move on to pastures new .

have fun and play nice
11-11-2017, 07:54 AM,
(11-09-2017, 05:03 AM)rahamy Wrote: A few things:

- WDS will not be picking up the SB series - their plate is full with the three series of games they currently have. So no point in cheering for that.

- As Steve allude to, we do have a project underway through JTS to enhance the series and roll out another round of updates. What *exactly* will be included with that I can't say at this time, but as of now looking at graphical enhancements and a few engine tweaks/changes. Labor is an issue here too...would like to see scenario updates, etc. being included too - but there's only so many hours in the day. All issue reports I have at the Support account (either JTS or HPS) will be addressed though.

- I personally see value in doing a few more official titles, but as Alan said, the designers have all moved on to other things... so really its a lack of man power to get more games out. My plate has been overflowing for years, so I certainly don't have time to tackle scenario design tasks.

- ** If ** we do in fact tombstone the series with the next round of updates then I could see the map editor being released at that time. I would not want to advocate for that until such time as I am positive no further commercial development will take place.

<salute>

The only thing that is confirmed is the above.
Send this user an email
11-11-2017, 12:53 PM,
(11-10-2017, 09:25 PM)kolc Wrote: Always got good service from JTS...if the game does not continue so be it. I have all the titles and I have certainly not played all scenarios so still alot to do. There are plenty of resources at TFE4 to keep one busy for some time as well....

Pretty much this for me as well.

Would have loved to have seen a Blitz40 or North Africa/Med game but if its not to be.

With so many  titles , custom scns and with my memory after about a year or so, many of the stock scenarios become blind again for me anyway