• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

January 2017 - CW One Hell of a Good Scrap discussion thread
05-22-2017, 08:12 AM,
January 2017 - CW One Hell of a Good Scrap discussion thread
I don't see a thread for discussing the January 2017 Scenario of the Month.

I see Wellsonian reported our game, so I've done ahead and done so also. His assessment is that it is pro-Allied, and I did surrender after about 15 turns of 120 turns. However, I'm not convinced we gave it a fair trial so I've rated it 'well-balanced.' I know as a scenario designer I hated when I'd post something saying "head to head only" and then have some dufus review it after a solo play and pronounce it "not suitable for solo play". So without being *that dufus* I'll note that you have to really like monsters in order to play this one. A reinforced German battalion attacking 8 different objective locations for 120 turns is going to be a huge investment of time.

Not sure, then, that this was really a great choice for scenario of the month - in order to play it in a month, you'd have to do 4 turns a day every day to get it done before the next scenario of the month. And with an entire reinforced battalion to command (attacking over open farmland, no less) that's a huge investment.

Good luck to those that stick with it - is anyone else anywhere close to finishing their playthrough?

My surrender was indicative of my unwillingness to commit to a game this big, also my poor play early - takes far more coordination to get that whole battalion forward and doing something useful than I was willing and/or able to do. Would be very interested, though, in seeing any German success stories and learning what you did that I obviously missed doing.
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2017, 12:50 AM,
RE: January 2017 - CW One Hell of a Good Scrap discussion thread
Ahhhh, if you didn't want to play such a long game why did you sign up? We choose a varied sizes for the scenario of the month so people can choose what they want to play. We get that not everyone likes a big game but some do.

Please do not sign up for a game you don't want to play.

Oh and just so everyone is clear there is absolutely no expectation that the scenario of the month will be played in a month. yikes! That would nearly never work.

Play what you want, skip what you don't and have fun. That's the goal.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
05-23-2017, 12:56 AM,
RE: January 2017 - CW One Hell of a Good Scrap discussion thread
(05-23-2017, 12:50 AM)A Canadian Cat Wrote:
Quote:Ahhhh, if you didn't want to play such a long game why did you sign up?

Because I thought it would be fun. I believe the language at the time was "let's see if this works as a PBEM" so there seemed to be some doubt. Therefore, I'm here to suggest that from what I can tell, this one is a barking dog as far as PBEM goes.