• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Terrain Combat Modifiers
05-22-2017, 03:04 AM,
Terrain Combat Modifiers
Do all combat modifiers in the parameter data apply to both melee and fire combat? 

I ask because most logically should affect both melee and fire but some, like creek or stream, I could see modifying melee but I doubt would have much of an impact on fire combat.  So just wondering.
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2017, 03:31 AM,
RE: Terrain Combat Modifiers
(05-22-2017, 03:04 AM)Jagger Wrote: Do all combat modifiers in the parameter data apply to both melee and fire combat? 

I ask because most logically should affect both melee and fire but some, like creek or stream, I could see modifying melee but I doubt would have much of an impact on fire combat.  So just wondering.

Looking at page 19 of the user manual, you will see that only hexside and elevation terrain features factor into melees:

• The largest hexside modifier of all of the hexsides the attackers are attacking through is applied to the attacking strength. Likewise, if the attackers are attacking across a Breastwork hexside, then the Breastwork modifier, as determined by Parameter Data, is applied to the attacking strength.

• If the attackers are attacking across a Creek hexside via a Bridge, then 30% is subtracted from the attacking strength.

• Melee attacks against higher elevations have a modifier equal to the elevation change (in elevation increments) times the Elevation Modifier (see the Parameter Dialog for this value).

Other terrain features are not mentioned under "melee.
05-22-2017, 03:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2017, 03:47 AM by Jagger.)
(05-22-2017, 03:31 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 03:04 AM)Jagger Wrote: Do all combat modifiers in the parameter data apply to both melee and fire combat? 

Looking at page 19 of the user manual, you will see that only hexside and elevation terrain features factor into melees:

• The largest hexside modifier of all of the hexsides the attackers are attacking through is applied to the attacking strength. Likewise, if the attackers are attacking across a Breastwork hexside, then the Breastwork modifier, as determined by Parameter Data, is applied to the attacking strength.

• If the attackers are attacking across a Creek hexside via a Bridge, then 30% is subtracted from the attacking strength.

• Melee attacks against higher elevations have a modifier equal to the elevation change (in elevation increments) times the Elevation Modifier (see the Parameter Dialog for this value).

Other terrain features are not mentioned under "melee.

Thanks.  What about troops which fire across streams or creeks, does their fire suffer the negative terrain modifier?  I am guessing it does.
05-22-2017, 06:06 AM,
(05-22-2017, 03:46 AM)Jagger Wrote: Thanks.  What about troops which fire across streams or creeks, does their fire suffer the negative terrain modifier?  I am guessing it does.
Look at the target hex' info box and it will tell you the terrain's effect on fire combat. For example, I'm looking at Chancellorsville, and the woods hex says -40%, whereas a clear hex says 0%.
05-22-2017, 12:12 PM,
(05-22-2017, 06:06 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(05-22-2017, 03:46 AM)Jagger Wrote: Thanks.  What about troops which fire across streams or creeks, does their fire suffer the negative terrain modifier?  I am guessing it does.
Look at the target hex' info box and it will tell you the terrain's effect on fire combat. For example, I'm looking at Chancellorsville, and the woods hex says -40%, whereas a clear hex says 0%.

Thanks, Liebchen.  I took a look and the info box shows the combat modifiers for internal hex terrain only.  It does not give the modifiers for hexside terrain such as streams or creeks.

What I am really curious about is whether the hexside terrain, creeks and streams, affect fire combat?  It is not particularly logical but I think they do.
05-23-2017, 10:50 AM,
Yes they do, but be aware that the effect of a hexside does only come into play the turn after a unit has moved into the hex that is adjacent to the hex side.
For example, a Rebel unit that moves into a hex that has a fence between them and the enemy will only benefit from the fence the next turn.
05-24-2017, 12:11 AM,
(05-23-2017, 10:50 AM)BigDuke66 Wrote: Yes they do, but be aware that the effect of a hexside does only come into play the turn after a unit has moved into the hex that is adjacent to the hex side.
For example, a Rebel unit that moves into a hex that has a fence between them and the enemy will only benefit from the fence the next turn.

So creek and stream terrain modifiers have an impact on fire results but not immediately upon arrival in the hex.  Thanks!