• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

101 Year old Confederate recounts the Civil War
05-21-2017, 05:52 AM,
101 Year old Confederate recounts the Civil War
Just came across this, a CW veteran recalling the war.  What is most fascinating is the 13:00 minute mark of why he and other Confederates fought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHDfC-z9...nel=Tsnore
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2017, 05:24 PM,
RE: 101 Year old Confederate recounts the Civil War
(05-21-2017, 05:52 AM)Weasel Wrote: Just came across this, a CW veteran recalling the war.  What is most fascinating is the 13:00 minute mark of why he and other Confederates fought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHDfC-z9...nel=Tsnore

Certainly is fascinating and quite amazing that you can have a time capsule to events over 150 years ago.

Thanks for sharing
05-22-2017, 04:17 AM,
Canada is doing the same thing for it's WW1, WW2 and Korean vets, getting them to put down their memories on tape for the future. I will have to search and see if there are anymore of these available in State archives.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
05-22-2017, 11:26 AM,
Yes the same thing has happened in Australia.

There is even on you tube a 1975 interview with an Australian veteran of the Boer war
05-22-2017, 05:59 PM,
(05-22-2017, 04:17 AM)Weasel Wrote: Canada is doing the same thing for it's WW1, WW2 and Korean vets, getting them to put down their memories on tape for the future.  I will have to search and see if there are anymore of these available in State archives.

Here is a short version my father made before his passing and I sent to the site for the bomber squadron my dad served in during WW2 and sent in several pictures my dad left me, his mission diary etc.. My father did have the longer record reported at the end as a historical record, but have not been able to find it. The short version which is on the link below I still have, but long version which recorded the long and arduous 600k zig zagging march from Luftstalag 9 originally to get away from the russians.. Is gone.. Had it on a floppy at the time and it went bad and must be online somewhere, just never able to find. 

458th bomber group
05-23-2017, 09:32 AM,
His is the story written by Owens'?
05-30-2017, 06:45 AM,
(05-23-2017, 09:32 AM)Weasel Wrote: His is the story written by Owens'?

Correct. I've got the Bible he kept track of his mission log in, several pictures, few things he brought back from Germany after finally getting liberated.. sent into that website link a few pictures and that short story version a few years back of my dad's.
11-07-2018, 07:27 PM,
I can see how that would be true for the regular soldier. Politics didn't take the first place in their minds in that time setting. His state loosing its ability to rule itself would resonate with a youth.
11-07-2018, 08:46 PM,
Whether he likes it or not southern soldier's were fighting for state's rights to enslave and exploit Africans. That was the southern elite's meal ticket. The cotton trade and textiles was the USA's greatest world commodity. The northern factories just had to remove the commerical tariff's that cut their profits. All they needed was a war that killed 600k men for total control of the western hemisphere again. Then they could move onto Spanish colonies and central and south America.
Our current wishy-washy Senate/Governor races are proof enough that who's arse sits in what seat is decided by those currently sitting in the seats and not the electorate. English capitalism is just a better more perfect form of slavery and mass exploitation.