• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Comparing V1.03 to 1.09 Grand Campaign
04-04-2017, 08:24 AM,
Comparing V1.03 to 1.09 Grand Campaign
I was trying to follow PB campaign that he wrote when 1.03 was the latest patch (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3183226/1) and I have found that things have changed an incredible amount since then.  His maps show few Soviet divisions (he is playing with FOW off) and is able to quickly march north to Leningrad on turn 7.

On the other hand my map is a sea of red at the end of turn 6, no way I can charge north to cut of Leningrad before the mud that I can see.  The same goes for capturing Pskov on turn 2, it takes all your fuel to get there and when you do there are Soviet divisions waiting.

Has anyone been able to capture Leningrad in 1941 before the blizzard hits, if so how did you do it?  I am playing on normal mode with FOW off as I was trying to follow the campaign above.

[Image: Leningrad%20T6.jpg]
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2017, 12:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2017, 12:32 PM by Gris.)
RE: Comparing V1.03 to 1.09 Grand Campaign
I haven't tried the Axis with 1.09 yet. I will give it a shot though. Exactly what scenario and what are your game options set to? Who knows, I could use the practice with 1.09 for my upcoming HTH.

I took Leningrad in 1.08, but as you said the changes among the patches can swing wide. I use 4th Panzer to cut supply around Ilmen lake and I used the Infantry Corps to take Leningrad with HQ buildup through Narva. I can't remember if I took Pskov on turn 2, but I did take Riga on turn 1. Nothing fancy for sure.

It is hard to tell in your picture because there are no values, but he cannot be strong everywhere on turn 6. What do the Center and South look like?
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
04-05-2017, 09:21 AM,
What a difference a turn makes. Last turn I managed to break through south of Smolensk and curl northward; this turn the Leningrad front is easily missing 50% of the units that were there before.

It is too bad you can't force airbases to surrender, I have a huge amount of them in the bag right now if I can just close a 3 hex gap.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
04-05-2017, 01:58 PM,
Well Done. He cannot be strong everywhere.

MarauderPL does a more recent patch in his videos. Here is episode one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMbU1Tk2ooM&t=5s

In Episode 5 he takes Pskov on turn 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpKmaoBq7WY&t=30s

He is playing patch 1.08.07 Alt CV, so the CV's numbers display higher. Look at the Whats New PDF, patch 1.08.00 entry #47 for explanation (vic page 121).

Overall, a well done let's play. Hope this helps.

See you on the Steppe.
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
04-06-2017, 02:58 AM,
Thanks, that is great. I was hoping to find something newer, never thought of checking UT. I am keen to play as Russia but I fear it will be overwhelming to get to grips with.
04-06-2017, 05:38 AM,
(04-06-2017, 02:58 AM)Weasel Wrote: Thanks, that is great.  I was hoping to find something newer, never thought of checking UT.  I am keen to play as Russia but I fear it will be overwhelming to get to grips with.

The first year of the war for the Soviets is pretty intense. Just organizing the Army is quite a task, then they have to fight the Axis. My best advice is keep the organization simple. Create a basic army of 6 -7 divisions, a tank & cav unit. I keep my CP at 21, even though you start at 24, it will drop. Four Armies per Front, 3 fighting hopefully one resting. Some fronts will have more, unavoidable. As far as support units, use what you got till it is organized. Build artillery, AA, and construct/engineer to start. I try and get the Air Force up to 500 air groups (takes a while) with airbases, but it depends on trucks and other demands. Also get your Cav units rested for the Blizzard and form them into Corps. They are pretty effective. Use your Military District to train and build your Armies, then attach them to a front (or if the front activates, you have it ready to fight). Remember there is no admin cost to transfer from a MD to a Front.

They is no "best way", maybe some best practices. After the first year, I feel they are easier to manage than the Axis. In 44 they are great fun, an absolute killing machine.

Hope this helps