• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Graphic Project Test
03-29-2017, 01:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2017, 05:59 AM by Ocito80.)
Atheory's Graphic Project Test
I wanted to throw this out there to the common pool. I've started dipping my toe into scenario modding, but would like to start expanding my knowledge base to the graphic side as well.

I am hoping there are some that may be kind enough to share some insights. My primary requests are as follows:

1. What programs are best used for manipulating/creating the various game graphics found in the MAP folder?
2. And any tips that could get me started right away?

Thanks for your time
Atheory
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2017, 10:44 PM,
RE: Graphic Modding 101 Help?
(03-29-2017, 01:36 PM)Ocito80 Wrote: I wanted to throw this out there to the common pool. I've started dipping my toe into scenario modding, but would like to start expanding my knowledge base to the graphic side as well.

I am hoping there are some that may be kind enough to share some insights. My primary requests are as follows:

1. What programs are best used for manipulating/creating the various game graphics found in the MAP folder?
2. And any tips that could get me started right away?

Thanks for your time
Atheory

For what it's worth, I use MS Paint for minor edits and Paint.Net for bigger jobs. GIMP will also work but is a little harder to use (for me) than Paint.Net. Both Paint.Net and GIMP are free.

Don't have any starting tips other than make sure your starting palette matches that of the original graphic. Most things are auto matched by graphic programs, but you will run across the occasional odd thing or two.
03-30-2017, 07:04 PM,
Thanks 2-81 Armor

An additional questions for the collective audience.

1. Is there a way to set or change the color of divisional markings?
03-30-2017, 07:13 PM,
I worked on Hexagon shaped units at first, wasn't too thrilled with the results, mostly with the diagonal lines. Then went this direction and not too shabby. You can see the distinction I was able to place on the Heer, SS, Soviet Army and Soviet Guards units. My next step is go horizontally and see how that looks. It frees up a little more room in the hex as well.

[Image: HzFLY37.png]
03-31-2017, 05:57 AM,
This was my hexagon unit concept

[Image: W7RyzbL.png]
03-31-2017, 07:57 AM,
RE: Atheory's Graphic Project Test
This is a smaller square approach. A lot of this is still me just learning. it's all new.

[Image: 4nXSIZb.png]
03-31-2017, 09:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2017, 09:24 AM by -72-.)
(03-30-2017, 07:04 PM)Ocito80 Wrote: Thanks 2-81 Armor

An additional questions for the collective audience.

1. Is there a way to set or change the color of divisional markings?

Unfortunately not, as that is part of the program coding.

Out of the screenshots that you have posted, I think that the hex shaped counters works best.
Send this user an email