• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Has It Been Changed in CMx2?
03-27-2017, 02:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2017, 02:57 PM by Extraordinarius.)
Feedback Needed  Has It Been Changed in CMx2?
I loved the system, but CM one drove me nuts because of several equipment/OB errors.  I always wanted to play the Americans, but they were so severely crippled that it became too frustrating and sad to play after both of my like-minded frequent opponents, who would cooperate making adjustments, died in the real world.  I am now contemplating purchase of the new game.  What I want to know is whether any of the following have been corrected in the current iteration:

1)   In western front CM, the American artillery cost as much as the German.  The Allies had four times as many gun tubes as the Germans, each Allied tube had four times as much ammunition and the flexible control system gave units access to the support of more batteries than German units had, but all this was represented by penalizing the Americans.  They received no discount for huge availability of artillery.  The U.S. units of fire were twice as large as the German, costing so much that it was generally not possible to buy them.

2)  American 81mm M1 mortar drove me particularly wild.  The British "3-inch" mortar was actually of 81.2mm caliber, and after the Normandy landings a majority of the shells fired by them had originally been manufactured for the U.S. weapon, but apparently the game designers decided that Britain got all the heavy shells. 

3)  The Germans had their 81mm mortar upgraded.  Because of transport problems in foot infantry units a cut-down version had been put into production.   By 1944 the original 8cm Granatwerfer 34 had been reserved for regimental artillery units, while companies and battalions were equipped with the Kurzer 8cm Granatwerfer 42, which fired the same ammunition as the old weapon to about half the range.  On anything but a small map that would be significant.

Do these problems still exist?
"There is such a beautiful moon tonight. Shall we watch it as we sink?" -RAdm Yamaguchi Tamon to Captain Kaku Tomeo of the Hiryu, 5 June 1942
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2017, 08:59 PM,
RE: Has It Been Changed in CMx2?
Hey there!

I can't answer you these questions, but I have some advice.
You better post those questions in the Battlefront forum, as it is much more active and much more crowded by people who are into TOE-issues.
http://community.battlefront.com/forum/1-cmx2/

Good luck!
Morbo
03-27-2017, 11:44 PM,
I will give it a try again, but five years ago my account just disappeared from their forum, twice, posts and all.
03-28-2017, 10:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2017, 10:56 AM by Westland.)
So if these are their only problems.The new CM has much worse problems.
US troops have not improved.The Germans attack with panthers, there is no chance for the US troops.In the new CM the Panthers are very cheap to buy.Equivalent US tanks are very expensive.AT Guns have become pointless because they are discovered even more quickly as in the old CM games.In addition, they need to build up very long.Artillery is more powerful and more user-friendly than in the old CM games.Infantry plays no role at all. It only dies. Whether camouflaged, in houses, on the field, in bunkers or in ditches.There is no protection. The soldiers fall like the flies.Only the soviets have improved.Their armor now meet better and have more punch.In CMBB were ISU-122, IS-2 and SU-152 almost useless.Too expensive and bad hit rate.

Supplement.In the new CM games there are very often canon hits.In the old CM games there was only 1942 between Pz.III and KW-I tanks.Here in the new games you can quickly lose 3-4 valuable King Tiger or Panthers by canon hits.Also optics and radio are quickly destroyed.
03-29-2017, 06:14 AM,
(03-28-2017, 10:22 AM)Westland Wrote: So if these are their only problems.The new CM has much worse problems.
US troops have not improved.The Germans attack with panthers, there is no chance for the US troops.In the new CM the Panthers are very cheap to buy.Equivalent US tanks are very expensive.AT Guns have become pointless because they are discovered even more quickly as in the old CM games.In addition, they need to build up very long.Artillery is more powerful and more user-friendly than in the old CM games.Infantry plays no role at all. It only dies. Whether camouflaged, in houses, on the field, in bunkers or in ditches.There is no protection. The soldiers fall like the flies.Only the soviets have improved.Their armor now meet better and have more punch.In CMBB were ISU-122, IS-2 and SU-152 almost useless.Too expensive and bad hit rate.

Supplement.In the new CM games there are very often canon hits.In the old CM games there was only 1942 between Pz.III and KW-I tanks.Here in the new games you can quickly lose 3-4 valuable King Tiger or Panthers by canon hits.Also optics and radio are quickly destroyed.

I pretty much disagree with your entire post! Big Grin , yes everything!
03-31-2017, 01:09 PM,
(03-28-2017, 10:22 AM)Westland Wrote: .Artillery is more powerful and more user-friendly than in the old CM games.Infantry plays no role at all. It only dies. Whether camouflaged, in houses, on the field, in bunkers or in ditches.There is no protection. The soldiers fall like the flies.

When the old CM:BO first came out, German tanks could see infantry hiding in buildings from beyond bazooka range.  They corrected that before I  bought the game, but the small dimensions of the maximum size map kept me from ever playing more than two or three battles total.    I think it is better in CMx2, and if not I will pester them to change it.

Quote:Only the soviets have improved.Their armor now meet better and have more punch.In CMBB were ISU-122, IS-2 and SU-152 almost useless.Too expensive and bad hit rate.

The hit rate was okay.  It was the rate of fire that sucked, just like real life.
"There is such a beautiful moon tonight. Shall we watch it as we sink?" -RAdm Yamaguchi Tamon to Captain Kaku Tomeo of the Hiryu, 5 June 1942
03-31-2017, 04:01 PM,
(03-28-2017, 10:22 AM)Westland Wrote: So if these are their only problems.The new CM has much worse problems.
AT Guns have become pointless because they are discovered even more quickly as in the old CM games.

Only thing I agree to. ATGs have practically no chance of ambushing tanks before being discovered... Something they did on a regular basis in real-life. And their only real usefullness, sadly.
03-31-2017, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2017, 05:40 PM by Westland.)
(03-31-2017, 01:09 PM)Extraordinarius Wrote: When the old CM:BO first came out, German tanks could see infantry hiding in buildings from beyond bazooka range.  They corrected that before I  bought the game, but the small dimensions of the maximum size map kept me from ever playing more than two or three battles total.    I think it is better in CMx2, and if not I will pester them to change it.

Also the sniper was discovered very quickly in CMBO.In CMx2 the Panzerschreck hits very precisely and on great distance.200-250 meters are not rare.But they are recognized just as early as the normal infantry. Except in many dense forests.
03-31-2017, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2017, 05:39 PM by Westland.)
(03-31-2017, 04:01 PM)Das Morbo Wrote: Only thing I agree to. ATGs have practically no chance of ambushing tanks before being discovered... Something they did on a regular basis in real-life. And their only real usefullness, sadly.

Yes, a shame is that. This lowers the playing fun.
04-02-2017, 05:39 AM,

Just 1 comment regarding gun hits in mainly CMAK.. Panthers and especially all versions of Shermans seem prone to gun hits moreso than any other AFV to me.