• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer Battles Demo - Released!
03-27-2017, 02:23 AM,
RE: Panzer Battles Demo - Released!
(03-27-2017, 02:03 AM)PzKw43 Wrote: Much better! Data visualization rule #1 is to remove unnecessary pixels. Having a map in the background of the Unit Boxes is distracting. There should be an option to turn off the artwork in the window containing the Unit Boxes. The units displayed on the map should have a single background color with no fill effects.

There is!

There are Alternative unit boxes under each nationality directory if you don't want the fancy default set....

David
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2017, 06:47 PM,
I've DL'ed the demo, looking forward very much in playing it, but as I play on a Mircosoft Surface Book with a resolution of 2360 x 1600 and a scaling of 175%, I can hardly play the game well as the display of the map, units and unit info boxes is very, very small.

This resolution is good for me when working text, the web and mail, but the game is hardly playable for me this way. Is there a way to adjust the resolution the game is displayed at? I cannot find anything on that in this forum or in the documentation with the game.

Hoping someone has a solution, thanx, Bas
03-27-2017, 09:14 PM,
(03-27-2017, 06:47 PM)De Ruyter Wrote: I've DL'ed the demo, looking forward very much in playing it, but as I play on a Mircosoft Surface Book with a resolution of 2360 x 1600 and a scaling of 175%, I can hardly play the game well as the display of the map, units and unit info boxes is very, very small.

This resolution is good for me when working text, the web and mail, but the game is hardly playable for me this way. Is there a way to adjust the resolution the game is displayed at? I cannot find anything on that in this forum or in the documentation with the game.

Hoping someone has a solution, thanx, Bas

No.  Other than changing the map zoom, also the toolbar size, there is no in-game control for adjusting the other game components -- dialogs, unit cards, etc. -- to differing screen resolutions, AFAIK.

Your only practical recourse, I think, is to employ the standard Windows controls to resize your entire Windows environment -- when playing the game.  A PITA, yes.

In these situations, some people use special magnifying glass programs to read tiny text and to see tiny details.  But that is even more of a PITA.
03-27-2017, 10:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2017, 10:46 PM by Strela.)
I have a similar resolution, but on a 27 inch monitor.

As Berto suggests the best way is to downsize your screen resolution. My understanding of scaling is that only impacts text - not the overall graphics.

By the way it is fine on my screen at the high resolution - you just don't have enough display size... (EDIT - I'm wrong, follow up post coming)

David
03-27-2017, 11:00 PM,
So I just learned something. Scaling does impact Apps (in Windows 10 parlance).

My screen resolution is 2560 x 1440. Here is the Demo on my monitor;

(Right click for full size)

[Image: Post%2020170327_1.jpg]

Here is the same screen with scaling at 150%. It blows up the game (visually) for me ;

[Image: Post%2020170327_2.jpg]

So it should work on your surface if you have Windows 10 and am adjusting via the Display Settings.

David
03-28-2017, 01:51 AM,
Yep! It works for me too! Just scaling to 225 from 175% will give me a very acceptable game to work with. I don't have to permanently adjust my Surface book, just play with the temporary settings and go back to 175% when I am finished.
03-28-2017, 09:15 AM,
"Here is the Demo on my monitor"

Norton Security? Good God Man!
03-28-2017, 11:30 AM,
David has sort of a tie to Norton the company, so probably not good if he was running McAfee still (he used to have some sort of tie to them also :-O ).

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-28-2017, 03:59 PM,
(03-28-2017, 11:30 AM)Ricky B Wrote: David has sort of a tie to Norton the company, so probably not good if he was running McAfee still (he used to have some sort of tie to them also :-O ).

Rick

Trust me, I realised I had all sorts of issues after I posted that monitor shot...!

Can you focus on the cool games I play (occasionally!)  Helmet Wink

David
03-28-2017, 04:15 PM,
The French T activations for Hannut might favour the Germans too much, I'm sceptical about the chance of the French repelling a concentrated infantry assault. They don't have much infantry, and there's no reason to go to the northern part of the map.

French infantry also suffers from the same problem as Soviet and British infantry in this engine: their SA values are just too low to deal with German motorized infantry. Allied infantry tends to get murdered by those 11/12 SA A quality units.

Was the scenario initially tested with unfixed French forces or French forces activating 1 or 2 turns after the German forces? I can think of several ways to crush the French with a human wave supported by tanks currently, where most of the French forces remain out of play for the entire game or until it's too late.

If the Soviet player uses his tanks correctly, Bogodukhov is likely to get messy for the Germans.

Flanking Kharkov makes for an interesting man vs. tank scenario, though the length of the scenario can be a problem for the defender (like in Normandy, where a number of scenarios are so long that the defenders are grinded into a pulp over time).

Mersa el Brega makes for a nice war of movement type scenario, both sides have a chance to do well I'd say.

Tenaru is rough for the Japanese. The Marines might be overrated at B quality. Trained but untried units are D quality in Normandy, and most of these marines would still be green, so maybe C quality for facing opposition during the initial landing. I don't know much about the combat history of the Japanese units involved, so I can't comment on them deserving their B rating or not.