• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

House Rules and Optional Rules
03-23-2017, 01:41 PM,
House Rules and Optional Rules
I was digging through some of my old games and found the Eckmuhl campaign.  I played it years ago a against the AI but never PBEM.  Anyway, I was thinking about giving it another go and trying PBEM this time.  I am going to take a week or two to relearn the rules and do a couple games against the AI.  Then on to PBEM.

I am curious whether there are any standard house rules in playing PBEMs-particular for Eckmuhl or the Napoleonic games.  Also I am wondering what are the usual optional rules used for PBEMs.  I will play my practice games with the recommended optional rules and bare in mind any house rules.

Thanks all!
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2017, 02:09 PM,
RE: House Rules and Optional Rules
(03-23-2017, 01:41 PM)I just noticed the message section above on optional rules, so forget that question.  Still wondering about house rules.  Jagger Wrote: I was digging through some of my old games and found the Eckmuhl campaign.  I played it years ago a against the AI but never PBEM.  Anyway, I was thinking about giving it another go and trying PBEM this time.  I am going to take a week or two to relearn the rules and do a couple games against the AI.  Then on to PBEM.

I am curious whether there are any standard house rules in playing PBEMs-particular for Eckmuhl or the Napoleonic games.  Also I am wondering what are the usual optional rules used for PBEMs.  I will play my practice games with the recommended optional rules and bare in mind any house rules.

Thanks all!
03-23-2017, 07:58 PM,
Have a look at the Sticky (above)

For playtesting the games we use a standard set of everything ON, except MDF; No Retreat Overrun; Multiple Infantry Melee and Partial Retreats. Just those four OFF. But everyone has their favourites and understanding them is essential.

As for House Rules. They are very much up to the individual. From none/anything goes to a few to several pages. Always discuss with a potential opponent before you start so as to avoid angry exchanges later.

Go to the HPS website and make sure you have the latest patch installed.

Enjoy!
03-24-2017, 12:21 AM,
As you already found, the thread listing all of the optional rules is very helpful.

I highly suggest that when you start playing PBEM games with brand new opponents, start out playing smaller scenarios.  That way if you don't like your opponent's game play or something else, you are not locked into a 300+ turn game in which you will quickly loose interest in playing.

If you are into using 3rd party art mods, there are several available and can be found in the below thread.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...hp?fid=262

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!
03-24-2017, 12:35 AM,
(03-23-2017, 07:58 PM)agmoss99 Wrote: Thanks agmoss,  If all options on but 4 is good enough for playtesting, then it is good enough for me.   

As for House Rules. They are very much up to the individual.

The problem is I lack the playing experience to even realize what house rules are needed if any.  Reading through some of the forum last night, I have noticed threads discussing problems with skirmisher use and scouting.  In general, the less house rules the better in my opinion but sometimes certain tactics can significantly alter the character of the game such that they can cause problems.  If possible, I would like to avoid those types of minefields.

I downloaded Phillippes graphics mod for Eckmuhl.  Wow, what a difference!  Not only do the 3d graphics look so much better but the lighter terrain tiles are so much easier on old eyes. I can see everything without straining.  Wonderful job!  

I went to the HPS site and I am now updated to version 1.15.   I also looked at some of the games.  I am a little astounded at the pricing.  My Eckmuhl, which I bought many, many years ago, is $50 today!!  I am sure that is more than I paid many, many years ago.  How do they expect new blood to build up and maintain the customer base when they don't discount old titles??  Oh well.
03-24-2017, 01:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-24-2017, 01:11 AM by Compass Rose.)
Also, if you like using art mods in your JTS/HPS games, I suggest you use JSGME.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=65299

Finally, if you plan on buying any new JTS games, get them directly from JTS here:

https://john-tiller-software.myshopify.com/
03-24-2017, 01:23 AM,
House rules come in all shapes and forms, but the commonest tend to be some kind of leash on skirmishers rather than let them become independent commando units.

Personally I prefer anything goes. That way there can't be any argument over interpretations.

As Compass Rose suggests, start a small scenario with somebody in case you find you are incompatible. And stay off any contentious subjects in emails, until you know the person.
03-24-2017, 11:27 AM,
(03-24-2017, 01:23 AM)agmoss99 Wrote: House rules come in all shapes and forms, but the commonest tend to be some kind of leash on skirmishers rather than let them become independent commando units.

Personally I prefer anything goes. That way there can't be any argument over interpretations.

As Compass Rose suggests, start a small scenario with somebody in case you find you are incompatible. And stay off any contentious subjects in emails, until you know the person.